Rebuilding a 8mm Mauser

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Good evening everyone.

A couple of my other threads on here have intimated I want to have a rifle done up for me in 9.3x62mm. The good part is, I think I've found a suitable donor rifle. It's a late-'20s/early-'30s Mauser sporting rifle currently in 7.92x57mm, has claw mounts (but no rings), apparently-replacement military bottom metal, ribbed oct-to-round barrel, missing the foresight (ramp's still there), and a plain unpaneled stock that I'm not sure I'd want to keep 'cause it look like doesn't seem to fit the action so well. Price is ~$600 but I might be able to get it for a bit less.

Here's the fun part: After some thought about what I want out of this rifle in terms of aesthetics, I reckon I want it to look like a hybrid of an English and German rifle. English-style stock and a Rigby aperture sight on the cocking piece for the English part with a German action, calibre, and barrel profile. Changing the bottom metal might be an option, although I've seen some vintage British rifles that had basic military-style bottom metal and nothing fancy. Double-set triggers would be nice but not a necessity. The mounts would need rings fitted, too.

So big question: Who in the US can help me with this rebuild? I've emailed one gunsmith but haven't heard back from him in a couple of weeks, so I'll follow up on that tomorrow, but in the meantime if anyone has some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear 'em. I know of one who does the rechamber/rebore but I'd like to at least have the option of getting the whole project done in one go rather than send it to multiple people.

Thanks y'all,
~~W.G.455

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg