Rebarrelled Rifle

ugadawg85

Reaction score
Just recently had a brand new .308 cooper rebarrelled to .338 federal and had hoped to take the rifle to South Africa. Upon reading some regulations on a travel website it stated that the serial number on the barrel should match the serial number on the receiver. Is this actually something that would negate the decision to take the rifle to SA for a plains game safari? Anybody have any experience taking rifles that have been modified with new barrel calibers to SA? This came as a big surprise. Thanks.:doh:

Are you sure both caliber and serial # are on each component?

There should be a serial # on the action and a caliber on the barrel. As long as the caliber and serial match your permit you will be ok.

I am not aware of a serial number on the barrel. Ditto to the above - as long as your serial number on the action and the calibre on the barrel match the permit you have then there will not be a problem.

Now if a South African rebarrels a rifle in South Africa it is a whole different ballgame --- but that storie is not relevant here.

The serial number is not usually on the barrel, though you see it occasionally. The barrel does not need a serial number and if it has one it would be good if it matched the receiver, but I doubt it would matter as long as, as stated above, the number on the receiver matched the paperwork. The caliber stamp on the rifle should concur with the ammo headstamp though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois