Real Charge vs Elephant mock charge

lincoxn

Reaction score
Hi there.
Would anyone have or know where i can find photos or diagrams of the different elephant stances? IE: mock charge vs real charge, etc. I'd love to actually see the differences and how to tell if you should put your finger on the trigger or just wait.
Thank you in advance.

One of the biggest falicies is that a real charge indicater is that if the elephant has his ears out it is a mock charge and when they are flat against the head it is a real charge.....

Bullshit....

Show me footage of a charge where this is the case.....

Only experience will let you know....
My personal opinion is that some "professionals" push the limits too far....
When I am in close proximity to an elephant deciding if he is just checking me out or doing a mock charge or preparing for a full charge I have my rifle in both hands ready for action....I dont have time to muck around trying to have a hero pose with my rifle over my shoulder trying to be macho.....that can change in an instant.....

Tucked in head and trunk curled up could be real ears out or in makes no difference....
I have never tried to call the bluff on elephant it is just not worth the macho status....

What is the differance between a mock charge and a real charge......

When it stops....nothing less nothing more......
Respect them and you will be safe....get cocky....get trampled..

Last edited:
What exactly is the point of standing there with your rifle over your shoulder over confident macho attitude....thinking you know what the real intentions are of the elephant????
Be ready, do what you need to to discourage the elephant from pushing through the charge...but be ready....
I have guided many elephant hunts as well as photographic foot safaris.... the safety of all is in your hands....do not take chances.....
Most places will put the "legal" shòoting distance for an elephant charge at 10 yards.... I would love to see somebody able to get the rifle off his shoulder off safety and place a accurate killing shot in that time frame....
I am not a gambler.....

I have a lot of respect for dg when on foot...hunting or guiding....especially elephant....

I have very limited experience with Elephant charges. That being said, I have pictures of the mock charges. I do not have pictures of the real charge.
Think about that for a minute.
There is a "something" that is very real when you just know it's real, and I have only experienced one real charge.
My best explanation is if you are in a bar and somebody challenges you to a fight - sometimes you know there's no getting out of it, get ready. Most of the time you can just ignore and walk away.
Hope that helps
And yes, IVW is right. 10 yards is too close to "get ready"

Last edited:
I have very limited experience with Elephant charges. That being said, I have pictures of the mock charges. I do not have pictures of the real charge.
Think about that for a minute.
There is a "something" that is very real when you just know it's real, and I have only experienced one real charge.
My best explanation is if you are in a bar and somebody challenges you to a fight - sometimes you know there's no getting out of it, get ready. Most of the time you can just ignore and walk away.
Hope that helps
And yes, IVW is right. 10 yards is too close to "get ready"
Well said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.