Reading Death in the Long Grass

hvallaster

Reaction score
Reading Death in the Long Grass and I've got the itch! I can't wait to go!
What is the best place to hunt plains game and see dangerous game? Do any outfitters rough it like the old days. Hunt in tents, eat what you shoot etc? That sounds fun.

Welcome to the forum.

That is a great book to get you fired up about Africa. Some think it's a bit glorified and not all true, but it's great reading none the less.

To get the true tented safari feel most people turn to Tanzania. It is a bit expensive when compared to other destinations. I do know several South African outfitters will give you a tented experience at a significantly reduced rate compared to Tanzania.

Enjoy the book. It's truly a masterpiece of African safari reading.

Reading Death in the Long Grass and I've got the itch! I can't wait to go!
What is the best place to hunt plains game and see dangerous game? Do any outfitters rough it like the old days. Hunt in tents, eat what you shoot etc? That sounds fun.

Vaughan Fulton of Classic Safaris in Namibia, www.fultonclassicsafaris.com, hunts out of tents. If you want to eat game, he'll arrange that for you. He hunts both dangerous and plains game. On one of my hunts with him, we heard lions roaring almost every night, leopards coughing across the other side of the dry river bed early in the mornings, and one night had elephants stroll through camp and rub themselves on the trees next to the tents.

Hi mate welcome to the forum of AH , its great t reading Capstick , as it relates the true wilderness and the game experiences of the African Wild.

Happy reading.

Monish

Welcome
I read that book when I was a teenager. I paid $4 for a copy and I think it has cost me $50 000 plus so far. For a truly wild hunt , you must go to Tanzania or Mozambique. Another possibility would be Zimbabwe, which would be less expensive, but you will need to research which areas you will be hunting there as some areas are not wilderness. I leave for Zim in 4 weeks, five days, and twenty one hours.
Good hinting, Mike

Unfortunately only a few really wild places are left in Africa. You should read the book "The myth of wild Africa" which will give you good background information.

Welcome to AH hvallaster! I have no doubt that you'll find what you are after...

Hi hvallaster,

Try and collect all Capstick books Death in the long grass , Last Horizon, Death in the lonely land , Death iin the dark Continent , The last Ivory hunter and many more . These books are African Hunting Bible and I read them all and they did permeate in me to Hunt in the continent so beautiful "AFRICA"

Happy Hunting

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg