Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
IMG_4278.JPG
A very unusual trophy I was Blessed enough to take on my recent hunt with Alan Bird of Balla Balla Safaris in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Many thanks to Hermann Scheepes for the opportunity to hunt this amazing trophy.

IMG_4283.JPG

Notice the under developed testicles, the bull never produced any calves. In discussion with a verterinarian some time after the hunt he stated that more than 90% of the orange Nyala Bulls are sterile. Therefore the lack of testosterone is the cause of the freak.

I have never seen one. Congratulations on a unique animal. Thanks for the photo.

Last edited:
Congrats, and thanks for sharing !

Like a bongo or bushbuck

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

I also had the opportunity many years ago to hunt a 29' red Nyala bull in KZN with a Spanish client.
It was a huge property and after spotting this bull and clearing with the reserve owner that we could hunt it it took us 4 day's of hard hunting to get him.

This bull also had small "nuts" and presumably sterile.

Funny thing is only one tracker from the ranch had ever seen this bull before.

Well done on a special trophy, a natural colour variant, not a purposefully bred one.

How are you going to mount it?

Thanks guys it was a real shock and I felt honored to collect such a special specimen.

The mount will be life size for sure and go next to my Bongo's. At some point in the future when I'm gone, all of this will end up in a museum for people to enjoy and learn.

Thanks @ IvW. I learned about this rare freak over 30 years ago and didn't think I'd ever see one.

I'm sure your client was equally surprised when he took the big orange bull with you.

Well done

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

I also had the opportunity many years ago to hunt a 29' red Nyala bull in KZN with a Spanish client.
It was a huge property and after spotting this bull and clearing with the reserve owner that we could hunt it it took us 4 day's of hard hunting to get him.

This bull also had small "nuts" and presumably sterile.

Funny thing is only one tracker from the ranch had ever seen this bull before.

Well done on a special trophy, a natural colour variant, not a purposefully bred one.
@

Looks like a Bongo!!!

Very interesting trophy. Congrats.

Very interesting and such a cool story to have. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg