Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA Hunters, ECGMA
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia
The Spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta), also known as the laughing hyena, is a monospecific species of hyena native to Sub-Saharan Africa. It is listed as Least Concern by the IUCN on account of its widespread range and large numbers estimated between 27,000 and 47,000 individuals.

The spotted hyena's scientific name Crocuta, was once widely thought to be derived from the Latin loanword crocutus, which translates as "saffron-colored one", in reference to the animal's fur color. Source - Wikipedia

Video footage from camera traps on our property reveals one of our wilderness biggest and most lucrative inhabitants. The specific camera filmed what looks to be a Spotted Hyena scavenging for food near a waterhole where there is an abundance of Eland, Zebra, Waterbuck and most plains game.

We have currently placed more camera traps to see if there could be more than just the one featured in the video.

The footage contradicts a previously held belief that Spotted Hyena is no longer found on land other than game reserves and rehab centers in the Eastern Cape Province.

Click on the inserted link to see the footage:

Last edited:
That is really great footage, Loodt. And I'm SO proud of Nancy!! I showed her the video and asked her if she knew what it was, and she did!!!

My wife may never hunt herself, but she is really getting to know her game and is a great conservationist.

It clearly shows that this Hyena does not stay current on the latest research papers and scientific journal articles dealing with where it should be living.;)

It clearly shows that this Hyena does not stay current on the latest research papers and scientific journal articles dealing with where it should be living.;)

The footage shown also indicates the need for further and updated research on animals like Spotted Hyena's. Mostly research is done once or twice and not annually/ongoing like with some other species.

The footage shown also indicates the need for further and updated research on animals like Spotted Hyena's. Mostly research is done once or twice and not annually/ongoing like with some other species.

Be careful making those statements to a High School Biology teachers. Sounds like you just got put in charge of new research.:sneaky:

Biology was one of my favorites, and I am already inquiring about GPS collars for this animal. Been out trying to establish where it's dens/middens may be. You welcome to join in the fun Jfet! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg