Rare Gun Collector Sometimes a Seller

The first answer referenced the bolt handle was not Rigby but Bells rifle has it.
Find the serial number then reach out to Rigby London. If it is a true Rigby it will be on file with them. I did this before I bought my Rigby. It cost me $100 plus I got the Rigby certificate of origin. No disrespect intended but I can’t imagine even with a replacement stock anyone doing that to a Rigby

To me, this looks like a German guild gun, with a stock carved in Germany or possibly someone stateside, or possibly a gun sporterized in the US by a local smith.

The stippling and engraving on the knoxform (the “ring” of the action”) looks like a guild gun, as does the rear sight. It’s likely the “7x57” was added post manufacture.

I‘ve had the pleasure of handling a number of pre war Rigbys, and own a few (likely fewer than some of the most experienced and expert members of this forum).

I think a Rigby would likely have a Prince of Wales type grip, a different rear sight, their name on the barrel, often their script on the knoxform, and their serial number on the bottom of the trigger guard. I think this may have been marketed as a “275 Rigby” simply because it is in 7x57.

Again, welcome to the forum. Please share more about the type of rare guns you collect. Myself, I dabble in pre war British guns in general, with an financially unhealthy disposition for Westley Richards.

Caveat emptor
Too late. I purchased it at auction 1,079.01 solely for the stock the neat looks and the 7 x 57. Just had time to take pics before that packed it up to send to the FFL. I will know and show and tell Tuesday night

Welcome & thank you for showing us your rifle .

As most have said previously you can be assured it was not built by Rigby.

lets hope you enjoy the rifle any way & it shoots well !

That thing is rough....even the rear sight has been banged around with some piece of steel....hope the inside looks better than the outside.....

Welcome to AH Hyhosilver. Do you hunt?

Hello Hihosilver,

Khomas Highland Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Yours truly is not an expert at anything really.
However, beginning in my early teens, (I’m now 70), I have been totally possessed of a burning interest in firearms, especially vintage hunting rifles and cartridges.
(Vintage fly fishing tackle as well but, that is for another thread).

I agree with others here that, yours is no Rigby.
What little I can see of it, indeed indicates that it is a vintage German guild rifle.
There is nothing wrong with it being so.
Well, except that, the person advertising it as a Rigby is either a crook or perhaps, was fooled by whomever they bought it from.

Whatever the case may be, do consider taking your described rifle to Africa one of these days soon.
It is chambered in a classic world wide hunting cartridge.
It would be very cool to bag such critters with it as warthog, springbok, impala, kudu, black wildebeest, red hartebeest and a comprehensive list of others as well.

Have a peek at the Khomas Highland Safaris web site when you get a minute.
Even if you don’t book with Khomas, do book an Africa hunt with someone.
Practice mightily from standing over shooting sticks, with 160 grain or heavier bullets and then take that 7x57 to Africa.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to the family and the forum! Nice to have you as part of the forum. Enjoy the site!

Welcome to AH

"Ole JRS decided to do that to the rifle."
Fantastic choice of words! Actually that was my undefined thought but I was not able to express it verbally myself!

BTW - eventual photo of proof marks (if there are proof marks), would give some better indication of the origin of the rifle.
lack of proof marks, means it is not of British origin, and probably not German.

Absolutely nothing "Rigby" about that rifle.

I sincerely hope that no money has changed hands in your deal.

One of the joys of owning Germanic firearms, especially those made between the wars, is the carving/engraving which would cost you a bundle to have consigned on a new weapon today. It always convinces me I have made a good purchase on those grounds alone. Post war, the prohibitions on whole categories of firearm manufacture PLUS THE DEATH OF MOST OF THE CRAFTSMEN IN THE WAR (plus those hauled off to eastern bloc) meant that there was a real time lag before pre-war standards were even approached again. A whole new generation had to go through apprenticeship. Your carving looks a lot better that the work I generally see on gun which were made immediately post-WWII.

Last edited:
I see now that you did indeed purchase the rifle.
A little over a grand in cost won't break the bank and it might well prove to be a nice shooting rifle but I must ask,
what made you think this rifle is a Rigby?
Did the seller represent it as a Rigby? If so, you can surely get your money back in the legal sense.

Welcome to AH!

This is not a Rigby .

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you