Rangers can’t be all over

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The human-wildlife conflict programme is hard hit by government austerity measures.

The environment ministry has confirmed budget cuts have forced it to reduce its operations, including that pertaining to human-wildlife conflict.

rangers-cant-be-all-over2017-06-090.jpg

Ministry spokesperson Romeo Muyunda said budget cuts have affected the operations of the game rangers, adding government cannot afford taking rangers to all the places where there are reports of conflict.

However, Muyunda refuted allegations that the financial crisis in the ministry has been caused by anti-poaching activities.

“Yes, the ministry has cut on some of its operations due to financial constraints, but allegations that the financial difficulties facing the ministry is caused by anti-poaching activities are not correct,” he said.

“The ministry is implementing all planned activities such as anti-poaching, human-wildlife conflict management, the community natural resources management programme and parks management, amongst other wildlife management activities. It is possible that sometimes, depending on circumstances, we might prioritise other activities ahead of others but that is normal in any organisation.”

He said officials in the ministry are not aware of the report made about a lioness that gave birth to cubs on a private farm in the Uuvudhiya constituency of Oshana Region, saying there might be confusion with incidents of lions that escaped from the Gobatere Community Concession.

Despite claims that a report about a lioness straying onto businessman Mburru Ismael’s farm in January this year and giving birth to four cubs, Muyunda said the incident was not reported to the ministry and according to him, the only report received during the course of last week was that of lions that escaped from Etosha onto the same farm.

“We are aware of the lions on that private farm but the matter was only reported to us last week and our staff was deployed immediately. To this end two were captured and returned to Etosha National Park. Our staff is hard at work to capture the remaining three. We believe the residents confused this incident with the other incidences. These specific lions came from the Etosha and should not be confused with those from the concession area.”

The farm manager, Eino Ashipala, dismissed Muyunda’s remarks.

Ashipala said he reported the lions to environment officials who are always patrolling alongside the Etosha fence.

He claimed to have also reported the matter to officials from the Ongwediva office.

“What they are saying is not true. They know of the incident. It is only because we are not endangering the cats, that is why they are not responding. Even today [Wednesday] I am going to the farm and I will give you the report,” Ashipala said.

Ashipala said a lioness came onto the farm in January this year and gave birth to four cubs.

They are now growing up, eating lots of meat and being taught to hunt, and since February they have killed 22 cattle.

Muyunda said the ministry’s employees are also working to mend the park fence to prevent wild animals from escaping from Etosha.

In 2015, MET started with the anti-poaching operations in Etosha, Palmwag Conservancy, Bwabwata National Park, Rupara Conservancy and Mudumo National Park, where members of the Namibian police are attached.

This is a three-month rotation detachment duty that is headed by Nampol regional commanders of the five regions that share boundaries with Etosha namely Oshana, Oshikoto, Omusati, Otjozondjupa and Kunene.

Each team will consist of hundreds of different Nampol members from all the five regions with assistance from nature conservation officials.

The government is responsible for providing basic needs, transport, subsistence and travel allowances as well as overtime.

ILENI NANDJATO

Source: https://www.namibiansun.com/news/rangers-cant-be-all-over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross