Range Time With My Lott

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I picked up a Ruger RSM in 458 Lott from another member here a few months ago. I haven’t been able to spend much time with it but finally got it to the range today. It’s set up with a Leupold Euro 1-4x. I didn’t fire it much but am pleased with the results. The attached target is from the sticks at 75 yards. The center group was Norma factory with 500 grain Woodleigh softs. The two shots on the right we’re from hand loads with Hornady solids. I’ve got some Woodleigh solids on the way. Hopefully they will shoot to the same POI as the softs and tighten the group up a bit. If not, I’m sure some load tweaking will get me there!
IMG_1590.JPG

Von S.

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Cool beans Catl

I'm sure that after you go there with that rifle the natives will be calling you the deadliest creature in Africa.

Edge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2
Nice grouping off the sticks with the softs! Good luck with the solids, I’m sure you will get them close enough to the softs.

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
(y)

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
How is your shoulder?

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
How is your shoulder?

Not bad. However, I’m wondering if that is the reason for the difference with the solids. Those were my last two shots. Maybe it was me. I’ll give it a try again next weekend but will shoot the solids first. It definitely lets you know that you pulled the trigger!

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
It would be wise to sight it in with a sled/shooting rest of some sort to save your shoulder.
For me, shooting off sticks is for practice and verifying accuracy.

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
Use a past recoil shield when practicing you won’t need it on real game as you won’t feel the recoil or even notice it.

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
Yes, that's what Craig Boddington said. He not only doesn't rembember the recoil he doesn't remember much of the next hour either (When the .600 Doubled).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wousechptox

Latest profile posts

gprippers wrote on Tucketed's profile.
Hello, saw that you want the Jeffries brass. So you an either send a USPS money order or paypal i guess, which ever works for you is fine with me at this point. If you want to us Paypal use [redacted] friends and family and dont mention gun stuff at all or they will go bananas! LOL!

Let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Rob
Cowboy wrote on MBIZI SAFARIS's profile.
Good afternoon, please send me a list of pricing for 2022.
NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?