Range shut down

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pheroze, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    The range I go to have been shut down because a bullet was found on the neighbouring property. Now, for some conspiracy theory speculation: I was told a while back that some properties have been recently bought and the new owners have not been happy with the range. And, between the baffles and the berms, you would have to be some special kind of stupid to put a bullet into the neighbouring property. So, I am not buying it!:S Bs Flag: I stand to be proven wrong, but I am prepared to wager that this bullet doesn't have rifling marks on it......

In the meantime, I have a a new load I am working up for the fall!!

CoElkHunter likes this.

2. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Don't you know a good lawyer that might have some interest in this case? The fact that a bullet was found on neighboring property doesn't mean it came from the range. Is the area thickly wooded, was the bullet found laying on top of the ground? This is not the first time false claims of this type were made.

Philip Glass and Pheroze like this.

3. Pheroze

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    The last complaint led to these ridiculous baffles being placed ahead of the benches. You have to scrunch down to shoot under them. Some of the benches are still too high, and a lead sled means your rifle is too high and is not useable. :mad: the Chief Firearms Officers is apparently investigating and I guess more requirements to come.

Frederik Badenhorst likes this.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    No evidence, just allegations. :A Vomit:

Maybe the bullet fell from the sky due to a Climate crisis!

5. RogerHeintzman

RogerHeintzman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia
    Seems fishy to me. A planted bullet?

6. Pheroze

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    If I hear what the outcome of the investigation is I will certainly advise! If it is bogus someone should be charged with mischief

7. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Enthusiast

Pheroze,
    My guess it was a planted bullet by a disgruntled new home owner. Now, if it is of the .465 h and h caliber bullet, we ALL would know the bullet was planted, because no one anywhere has seen an actual .465 h and h cartridge or bullet with rifling marks on it! Tell this to the Chief Firearms Officer AND he/she can contact me for further evidentiary information and sworn testimony regarding the mythical.465.
    I’m sorry this happened, but I faced a similar situation with the firearms range I’m a member of here in Colorado. It was finally resolved and the range stayed open.
    CEH

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Pheroze likes this.

8. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    East Cape, South Africa
    About every year or two we have a similar situation here. Seems people buildt homes near the shooting range and then tried to get the range closed because of all the noise created by people shooting guns.

A year or two ago someone vandalized the range by shooting holes into the rifle rack cover and other damage.

It was reopened a week later.

Now since this range is operated by the National Forestry Service, on foresty land, it's a felony. As far as I know no one has been arrested or charged and the neighbors haven't been complaining as much.

Hope your range gets opened back up soon.

9. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I would be interested in the investigation and to see the bullet. If I owned the range I would have my attorney on this ASAP.
    Philip

10. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    This happens quite a bit at the local ranges here. The ranges are designed to contain bullets which are shot from the benches into the assigned targets. Instead people are shooting at rocks, setting up their own targets on the ground, and even shoot the concrete benches when no one is around.

The game wardens are constantly watching from their vehicles and even the woods. They warn people all the time to follow directions or the range will be permanently closed.

11. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Unfortunately this happens all over the world, some people want ranges closed for different reasons, and they will just plant a few bullets.