Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Pineywoods SCI, NAHC, TTH
Hunted
USA, South Africa (Eastern Cape)
375 best group 2-25-16.jpeg

I went to the semi-local gun range yesterday afternoon to test my NEW-TO-ME .375 H&H Magnum purchased through the AH classified section http://www.africahunting.com/threads/remington-700-375-h-h.24234/

Some initial observation prior to the shooting range:

1. the gun was everything promised and the transaction went very well. If Passport list a gun you are interested in, I would highly recommend him as a trustable person who will do everything that he says he will.

2. Damn, this thing is light … 7.8 lbs … even with the porting, I think that is going to come back and bite me!!!!!

3. Choosing a Remington 700 for my DG rifle was the right choice! This is my fifth 700 and the gun just feels good when I shoulder it, when I load it, and the trigger is indistinguishable (by me) from the 300 WM that is my current go to deer and hog rifle. I have 1000s of rounds and 100s of times loading and unloading in the dark with the 700. I don’t have any interest in unlearning all that!

4. Expensive ammo – was able to find some ~$48 Federal 300 gr PowerShock on Cheaper Than Dirt that should work to get me started.
Observations from the range:

1. I inadvertently started typing this thread under Firearms & Ammunition before it occurred to me that I should be in the .375 & Up thread … I now own a true African rifle J!

2. The idiot who first suggested that a 375 H&H Magnum’s recoil was more of a push than the sharp recoil of … say … a 300 WM is a lying sack of shit. If you can find the culprit, they can come to Nacogdoches, TX and shot my 7.8 lb jewell off the bench wand tell me that a .375 H&H Magnum is only pushing!!

3. The rifle was presented as not having been shot. This was probably true as I didn’t take the time to bore site it and just took it to the range as quickly as I could. It ultimately was about 4 inches high (OK) and 14 inches left (less OK as I didn’t have a 28 inch wide target).

4. After shooting 3 shots at the bulls eye without catching the paper, I proceeded to shot at the top, bottom, left, and right edges in that order. Of course, the last one I tried before pulling the bolt and East Texas bore sighting it worked (couldn’t have tried the right edge first!). So, after only 7 shots of a gentle push, I was on paper!!!! That was OK as I needed a little trigger time to get me and the gun warmed up.

5. I was able to get it sighted in and shoot a couple of 3 shot groups … which exhausted my first 20 round box … which seemed like a good place to stop as I still needed my shoulder to do things like drive home and type up this report (see point 2!).

6. The first group was about 1 ½ inches and the second group was 1 ¼ inches (pasted below) … perfectly acceptable for a first range trip with over-the-counter ammo.

7. The gun was a BIG hit at the shooting range!!! After the first shot, I happened to look up and all 6 shooters on the range were staring at me. They were mostly shooting ARs, I assume, in 5.56. Most of them came over to see what the hell I was shooting before they left. I offered to let a couple of them shoot it and they declined J!

Get a limb saver. I really don't mind the Push of mine :)

Limb Saver +1. But you know when you face dangerous game no rifle kicks! You will not feel a thing Scott.

+ 2 on the limbsaver plus it increase my length of pull which i need for my Chimpanze length arms

first, congratulations on your new 375!

second, 8 pounds is about perfect for a 375. the only reason its kicking you around is because your shooting it off a bench. one shot from my 416 RM from the bench is equal to about 20+ shots from my 505 Gibbs using heavy loads from sticks.

stop shooting off the bench and get some shooting sticks and you will find the 375 to be an easy cartridge to shoot. after a bit of practice and a proper hold you can shoot even the largest guns with relative ease.

-matt

I have the Ruger guide gun in 375 Ruger with the removable muzzle break. Love it. With the break it feels like an 06... The hell with the noise. That's why you wear ear protection, then when in the field hunting you can remove the break because as Charlie said you'll never remember the " push".

Thanks for posting, and yes limbsavers are a good thing! Agreed when in the field, I never hear or feel anything from the shot when there is tons of adrenaline flowing!!!

7.8 lbs. is fine for a .300 mag; but not a .375. Have a gunsmith install a Graco break (14 oz.) in the buttstock and you'll be much happier. Also, I'd look at the KickEez Magnum pad...it adds 3/8" LOP and is nice and soft. Then you'll have a comfortable, well set up .375! Had one of those put on my .458 Lott and I'm glad I did, every time I pull the trigger!

I have the Ruger guide gun in 375 Ruger with the removable muzzle break. Love it. With the break it feels like an 06... The hell with the noise. That's why you wear ear protection, then when in the field hunting you can remove the break because as Charlie said you'll never remember the " push".

muzzle breaks are fine if you shoot at your own home. but few things are more rude then using a muzzle break at a public range.

-Matt

muzzle breaks are fine if you shoot at your own home. but few things are more rude then using a muzzle break at a public range.

-Matt
Rude? Really.

stop shooting off the bench and get some shooting sticks and you will find the 375 to be an easy cartridge to shoot. after a bit of practice and a proper hold you can shoot even the largest guns with relative ease.

What matt85 said. I don't enjoy shooting my 375 from the bench, either, but on sticks it is no big deal.

Rude? Really.

absolutely, what did the person next to you do that he should deserve to get blasted in the face with gas and powder residue every time you fire your rifle? even with hearing protection, being next to a person firing a large gun with a muzzle break is unbearable as the decibel levels easily exceed what hearing protection can negate. with big guns the blast will knock anything "light" off every nearby bench to the ground (targets, empty brass, personal effect).

even without a muzzle break i still occasionally get complaints about the blast from my 505 Gibbs. so i do my best to keep away from other shooters and will stop shooting (or move) if it causes my neighbors excessive discomfort. the public rifle range is for everyone not just me/you and one should strive be respectful of other shooters.

sorry about the rant and taking this thread off topic.

-matt

I'll shoot my 9lb M70 .375 off the bench all day long. A bit heavy for sure, but take that to 8.5 lbs with a proper recoil pad and you'll be fine.

View attachment 56217
I went to the semi-local gun range yesterday afternoon to test my NEW-TO-ME .375 H&H Magnum purchased through the AH classified section http://www.africahunting.com/threads/remington-700-375-h-h.24234/

1. the gun was everything promised and the transaction went very well. If Passport list a gun you are interested in, I would highly recommend him as a trustable person who will do everything that he says he will.

2. Damn, this thing is light … 7.8 lbs … even with the porting, I think that is going to come back and bite me!!!!!

3. Choosing a Remington 700 for my DG rifle was the right choice! This is my fifth 700 and the gun just feels good when I shoulder it, when I load it, and the trigger is indistinguishable (by me) from the 300 WM that is my current go to deer and hog rifle. I have 1000s of rounds and 100s of times loading and unloading in the dark with the 700. I don’t have any interest in unlearning all that!

4. Expensive ammo – was able to find some ~$48 Federal 300 gr PowerShock on Cheaper Than Dirt that should work to get me started.
Observations from the range:

1. I inadvertently started typing this thread under Firearms & Ammunition before it occurred to me that I should be in the .375 & Up thread … I now own a true African rifle J!

2. The idiot who first suggested that a 375 H&H Magnum’s recoil was more of a push than the sharp recoil of … say … a 300 WM is a lying sack of shit. If you can find the culprit, they can come to Nacogdoches, TX and shot my 7.8 lb jewell off the bench wand tell me that a .375 H&H Magnum is only pushing!!

3. The rifle was presented as not having been shot. This was probably true as I didn’t take the time to bore site it and just took it to the range as quickly as I could. It ultimately was about 4 inches high (OK) and 14 inches left (less OK as I didn’t have a 28 inch wide target).

4. After shooting 3 shots at the bulls eye without catching the paper, I proceeded to shot at the top, bottom, left, and right edges in that order. Of course, the last one I tried before pulling the bolt and East Texas bore sighting it worked (couldn’t have tried the right edge first!). So, after only 7 shots of a gentle push, I was on paper!!!! That was OK as I needed a little trigger time to get me and the gun warmed up.

5. I was able to get it sighted in and shoot a couple of 3 shot groups … which exhausted my first 20 round box … which seemed like a good place to stop as I still needed my shoulder to do things like drive home and type up this report (see point 2!).

6. The first group was about 1 ½ inches and the second group was 1 ¼ inches (pasted below) … perfectly acceptable for a first range trip with over-the-counter ammo.

7. The gun was a BIG hit at the shooting range!!! After the first shot, I happened to look up and all 6 shooters on the range were staring at me. They were mostly shooting ARs, I assume, in 5.56. Most of them came over to see what the hell I was shooting before they left. I offered to let a couple of them shoot it and they declined J!
absolutely, what did the person next to you do that he should deserve to get blasted in the face with gas and powder residue every time you fire your rifle? even with hearing protection, being next to a person firing a large gun with a muzzle break is unbearable as the decibel levels easily exceed what hearing protection can negate. with big guns the blast will knock anything "light" off every nearby bench to the ground (targets, empty brass, personal effect).

even without a muzzle break i still occasionally get complaints about the blast from my 505 Gibbs. so i do my best to keep away from other shooters and will stop shooting (or move) if it causes my neighbors excessive discomfort. the public rifle range is for everyone not just me/you and one should strive be respectful of other shooters.

-matt

Can't be as bad as an AR10 and AR15 hot casings hitting you in the head or down your neck! I would have muzzle blast then that! It is called range communication. At a public or private range you communicate between Shooter's. I have a brake on 375 and if somebody sits next to me I let them know about break. Then it is their choice to sit next to me. Now if I show up and no empty benches on both side of me I will wait till there is. Not a problem if you handle it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you have a good gun on your hands. If I get a big bore it would be a model 700 also just because it is what I use the most. Glad the deal you found here went so well. Always good to hear when that happens

Looks like you have a winner Scott.
Now that you are on paper its time to move to the sticks for the sake of your shoulder .
I use a Past recoil harness which helps if you are going to shoot a lot of rounds.
Good luck with it!

View attachment 56217

Observations from the range

Was going to press the like button Scott .
But i was laughing so much i better say i loved it .

-matt
First of all you've already assumed I'm rude by firing my 375 with a break at a public range. First thing I do is inform the range officer of this and ask if he has a bench with some room, if not I tell the shooters next to me what I'm shooting . When I go to a public range I have to assume this is a possibility from other shooters and since I have no other option I have to accept it. Another point at least in my opinion is when I get on the bench to practice before I spend many thousands of dollars on a hunt I want to not think about recoil. Some of us here just don't like it and I'm one of them. Sorry if those of us offend you with big guns with breaks. My apologies to the forum for high jacking this thread into something else. Guys like this get my siciliano blood pressure up.

You will just have to get use to the gun, it will take time. Imagine if it didn't have a break on it, that light rifle would be a lot worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross