Range Back Stop Building Project

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Saturday was the day for building the rifle range back stop. I had two friends help out, construction was rail road ties, 1/2" diameter rebar used to pin each tie together and a truck load of sand.

Range 1.jpg

Range 2.jpg

We had a tractor with front end loader to lift and position the rail road ties. Several drills with 1/2" diameter 18" long wood bits running with a generator. Grinder to cut the 1/2" rebar into 12" pins.
Range 3.jpg

Range 4.jpg

Last edited:
The exterior dimentions were approximately 110" square, we built 10 ties tall and then used rail road ties to make a solid roof. Initially we just added the 2 front roof ties to hold the front walls together, then we filled the structure with sand and added the rest of the roof.
Range 5.jpg

We used about 9 cubic yards of sand, thankfully I have a track loader that made short work of filling the structure from the front and back.

Range 6.jpg

Range 7.jpg

The tractor took the effort out of handling the rail road ties, this is the last roof tie being put in place, walls were 10 ties high, roof ties sat on top of this. We used 46 ties in total each tie used two 12" bits of 1/2" rebar to pin it in place.

Range 8.jpg

We have about 345 yards of visibility to the backstop on a trail that is about 30' wide, I'm looking forward to getting a little more rifle shooting practice in the future. I plan to either rubber membrane or metal sheet the roof to keep out the weather, so the sand stays pretty dry and does not get washed down.

Next project is a 24' wide pistol range! Thanks to my hunting buddies who helped out and will get to use the new rifle range too.

Very nice! I’m unrealistically waiting for the price of lumber to go down to do the same. I’m not too keen on creosote leeching. Enjoy the range!

The exterior dimentions were approximately 110" square, we built 10 ties tall and then used rail road ties to make a solid roof. Initially we just added the 2 front roof ties to hold the front walls together, then we filled the structure with sand and added the rest of the roof.
View attachment 470943

We used about 9 cubic yards of sand, thankfully I have a track loader that made short work of filling the structure from the front and back.

View attachment 470944

View attachment 470945

The tractor took the effort out of handling the rail road ties, this is the last roof tie being put in place, walls were 10 ties high, roof ties sat on top of this. We used 46 ties in total each tie used two 12" bits of 1/2" rebar to pin it in place.

View attachment 470946

We have about 345 yards of visibility to the backstop on a trail that is about 30' wide, I'm looking forward to getting a little more rifle shooting practice in the future. I plan to either rubber membrane or metal sheet the roof to keep out the weather, so the sand stays pretty dry and does not get washed down.

Next project is a 24' wide pistol range! Thanks to my hunting buddies who helped out and will get to use the new rifle range too.
Good work!

Old tires stacked on the side also filled with sand will give you solid wings to this impressive structure.

Old tires stacked on the side also filled with sand will give you solid wings to this impressive structure.
If my friends can’t hit the sand with a rifle, they need shooting lessons! The opening is about 5’ tall by 8’ wide, I know 345 yards may be a way but most shooters should be able to hit it

Last edited:
Looks like a great project and a lot of fun to come.

Impressive! Now I have to rethink my "pile of dirt" range!!!

Very nice! I’m unrealistically waiting for the price of lumber to go down to do the same. I’m not too keen on creosote leeching. Enjoy the range!
Lumber futures are way down, just takes time to filter through to retail.
Screenshot_20220613-002419_Chrome.jpg

Well sir,
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". I have been thinking of building a bullet trap much like yours at 200 yards downrange. I will use your photos as my template!
Thanks!!!

View attachment 470943

View attachment 470944

View attachment 470945

View attachment 470946

Really nice. It looks very safe. Way to go. Your WI friend, Brian

Well sir,
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". I have been thinking of building a bullet trap much like yours at 200 yards downrange. I will use your photos as my template!
Thanks!!!
Good luck with your project, feel free to ask any questions if I can help you out at all, I did go through 3 long 1/2" diameter drill bits drilling approximately 80 holes of about 13" depth. Otherwise things were pretty much as per the photo.

Good luck with your project, feel free to ask any questions if I can help you out at all, I did go through 3 long 1/2" diameter drill bits drilling approximately 80 holes of about 13" depth. Otherwise things were pretty much as per the photo.
Ohh, To have the foresight to have purchased, in advance, 3 bits to burn through!

Those are the best kind of friends that show up to build something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg