Rain?

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We will be arriving in Johannesburg on Sunday, and it looks like we are in for a wet week. How does rain affect the hunting? (Buffalo and plains game) I've never been overly successful here in the states during periods of extended rain. Hopefully we will get a couple of dry days mixed in, but I'm sure it will be a great time either way!

The critters there treat it like a snow storm when I have seen them. Except Rhino and Elephant.
Buffalo tracks should be sticking out very nicely.

Then the grass will come.... The first green up is like Black Bears on Dandelions here.

The PH will make a plan.

Good luck.

The critters there treat it like a snow storm when I have seen them. Except Rhino and Elephant.
Buffalo tracks should be sticking out very nicely.

Then the grass will come.... The first green up is like Black Bears on Dandelions here.

The PH will make a plan.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I've written to the PH and he has no concerns. I'm sure it will be a fantastic and successful hunt!

We will be arriving in Johannesburg on Sunday, and it looks like we are in for a wet week. How does rain affect the hunting? (Buffalo and plains game) I've never been overly successful here in the states during periods of extended rain. Hopefully we will get a couple of dry days mixed in, but I'm sure it will be a great time either way!

As dry as it has been the animals may act like kids on Christmas morning. If the green up occurs, the critters might just be eating for lengthy periods of time. They've got a lot of weight to put back on from what I observed in October.

Exactly Phil

The PH should know where the critters are hiding for sure

Pieter will get the job done for you with just some extra slipping and sliding maybe. LOL don't worry he has hunted in nov, before and dealt with the same kind of weather. The rain is a relief for those animals and just one extra thing for the hunters to get through and that you will with no problem at all. Good luck and safe travels

Have a great hunt Catahoula! Will you be hunting out of Flintbeck??

We will be hunting near Hoedspruit.

Our upcomming buffalo hunt will begin on the 14th December, had to be that late due to all sorts of commitments within our group. That will be well into the rains and my question is, does that bode well for closer in stalks with the animals being more relaxed? The green up should have begun too. If close in stalks are likely on the buff the open sighted double will get it's chance at last.

I went last October. It rained a couple days of the hunt. It is better than the heat. It can get pretty warm.

I love hunting in light rain. No problem for the animals. The animals seem to me to move more during the day when overcast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!