R-19 powder or H 4350

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Pheroze, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    I am going to reload for a Browning BAR 7mm RM (first foray into loading for a semi-auto). It would seem that R-19 would be good for a number of my clalibers including the RM, so I was thinking of using it and clean up the powder shelf. I currently use H4350 for 6.5x55, '06, and 375 and quite like it. I did find a recipe for the 7mm RM using H4350 but it seems to be a bit weak.

The concern with R19 is that I have read it is temperature sensitive which may not be a good thing when moose hunting.

The question is: should I clean up the powder shelf by just using H4350 or does R-19 provide a better alternative? I did notice that they sit very close on the powder burn rate chart.

Thanks for the input.

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Unless your taking a shot from VERY long range I don't think the Alliant's temp sensitivity will be much of an issue with the size of a moose's target zone. If you go the RL19 route just make sure you check the zero just prior to the start of your hunt.

3. Pheroze

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    Thanks, I got looking at R19 because the woodleigh manual does not list H4350 for their 175gr. Hodgdon does for the 175 gr partition so I may just use that as a guide for the woodleigh and try to stick with H4350. We are most likely talking shots under 200 yards.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    It's the sight in at +20C and then hunting at -25C to -40C that I wonder about. We get those swings up here. Phil has to worry about his powder going off on a preignition sequence when he reloads in the summer in AC and then takes the reloads to the truck +100F.

To be totally paranoid I make sure I shoot my reloads at the same temperature and elevation they are being hunted at.
    Just paranoid.

lcq and Pheroze like this.

5. PHOENIX PHIL

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Don't care what you've heard, I've never had a problem with premature ignition!

But seriously when going colder, pressure will drop, so the safety of the load is not an issue. I have one load that I won't shoot in the heat of summer, get sticky bolts when I do. Accuracy may suffer a bit, but what can yo do? Agree though sight in the load close to start of hunt or as Brickburn says in as close a condition as you'll hunt.

6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Oh, forgot. Vegas rules. :ROFLMAO:

7. PHOENIX PHIL

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Durn showgirls

8. fsrmg1

fsrmg1 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
    Hunted:
    AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
    I would think that Rx22 might be a better option for the 7 Mag, unless you want powders that work in all. Then Rx19 would probably work well.

9. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Veteran

Preignition would mean the powder charge ignites before the primer does. That's not going to happen.

Also, when you shoot factory ammunition, do you think the manfacturer makes them at the same temperature they're to be hunted at? Are you under the impression that factory ammunition is always loaded with temperature insensitive powder?

10. Pheroze

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    That's a good point. I guess I had assumed they did. I often wondered what the manufacturers use, and whether they had their own special blends.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
    lcq likes this.

11. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    Factories blend powders for consistency. That said H4350 seems a little fast for a heavy for cal bullet. I'd go with slower http://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/7mm-remington-magnum/ Nosler is a very good resource

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
    Rob404 and Pheroze like this.

12. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Veteran

Sometimes factories blend powders. More often, they make up a batch of powder trying to match something they've used in the past. Then they test it and find it's a little different and adjust the load as needed.

Many times the powders factories use aren't available to reloaders but sometimes they are. Hardly ever will you know exactly what powder a particular manufacturer puts in a cartridge.

Factories have ballistics labs where they test their ammunition. They're not going to have their technicians test a load at a bunch of different temperatures. All powders, even the temperature insensitive ones so called, are at least a little temperature sensitive but just not as much as some others. Some factory ammunition will be loaded with a powder some would call temperature sensitive.

lcq and Pheroze like this.

13. Pheroze

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    Nosler uses IMR 4350. However, RL22 certainly seems to be a better bet.

14. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Veteran

RL-22 is what I use in my 7mm Remington Magnum with 162 grain bullets.

15. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I forget how cold -25C is, but I've shot a 338 Win Mag 210 gr Nosler 70 gr Rl19 when it was -10F, which is on they way to being cold, and there was no discernible difference in the performance of it from the times when it was +50F.

16. Pheroze

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    Thanks, but as it turns out I could only get my hands on Retumbo. My initial impression is that it is a messy powder. Still more work to do on the loads.