Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
I figure him at 3 yo, maybe 160-170 lbs. We named him "Train Wreck" last year, have been trying to remove him from the gene pool since then, finally got him on the last afternoon of rifle season yesterday..

20220123_163500.jpg

Last edited:
Will still make a cool euro! Management hunting is always fun and sometimes challenging when looking for 1 or 2 specific bucks!

Will still make a cool euro! Management hunting is alsways fun and sometime challenging when looking for 1 or 2 specific bucks!
Euro is the plan...head is sitting in a cooler in the back of my truck now. got some cleanup to do today, then heading back to H-town around 3 or 4 this afternoon.

45-70 shooting Beartooth Bullets 425 gr pile driver, junior at a little over 1600 fps. entrance and exit both looked like I had punched paper with a wad cutter, no blood shot meat, about a 50 yard shot in the thick stuff.

In the right shoulder, out the left. Bang flop. He didn't bleed much, at least not externally.

Very cool deer. Spent enough time hunting in Germany to really appreciate the odd ones.

Very cool. I’ve removed half a dozen culls from our farm. Fun work!

He looked in poor condition also.

We have one almost exactly like that one I call Squiggly. I just can't bring myself to shoot him. I think he's 3.5 yrs old and we'll see what next year brings :rolleyes:

No doubt that his removal from the gene pool is the right thing to happen. But he does deserve a place on the wall of fame.

"All the other farm deer used to laugh and call him names."

Was everything normal with this buck or is this somewhat common in your area? I’ve never seen a whitetail with horns like this. I did my first mule deer hunt in November and was shocked by what they called stags. Mule deer bucks that couldn’t breed, never rubbed off velvet, and had similar horn configurations to this.

Interesting rack. Congrats on finally getting .
Bruce

Man that thing is gnarly. I concur the euro mount is a must on that fella.

Unusual to say the least. I wonder how he rubbed the velvet off??

He looked in poor condition also.

We have one almost exactly like that one I call Squiggly. I just can't bring myself to shoot him. I think he's 3.5 yrs old and we'll see what next year brings :rolleyes:
This is a Louisiana deer. Really big ones get to maybe 200 or 210 on the hoof. 160-170 is fairly normal for a 3 yo buck around here.

View attachment 448714
Train Wreck meet Handlebar. I wanted to use this one as a toilet paper holder at the cabin but a full roll wouldn't fit on the droptine.
How about a roll on that long spike on the right side ? :LOL:

This thread reminds me of an odd-ball three-beamed buck on my place. We never did see this guy in the flesh.
MFDC9374.JPG

I find all of those as beautiful not ugly. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The more gnarly a buck is the better for me. Mine had the bottom part of its left rear leg missing (my brother and I called him tripod) causing the right side antler to be a spike. Also, you see my use for my whitetail euros. Not toilet paper but keeps the rope in the workshop handy and organized.

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg