Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, IHEA
Hunted
US, Germany, RSA
Gents,
I am getting ready for my second safari in May-June of 2016. I know I plan on having my capes sent back to the states for the final taxidermy, but this is about all I know right now. So my question is....Since I do not know if I want a shoulder, pedestal or something different, should I have all the animals skinned out for full body mounts to give me options? Will a competent taxidermist be able to take the full skin and turn it into a should or pedestal mount if that is what the final mount will be? Will I be able to take the unused back skins?

Thanks in advance...

Your best advise is going to come from your taxidermist here at home. Usually skinning for a full body mount is different from a shoulder mount but you should be able to turn the hides that are skinned for a full body mount into a pedestal, or shoulder mount as long as they cut along the belly to skin the hide. The size of the back skins will depend on what you have planned on for the mounts.

Nothing some stitches won't fix.
A Taxidermist can always remove material. It is a pain in the ass to try and add something that is not there.

Mostly what Brickburn said. You will need to know upfront if you want a lifesize mount. The skinning is most definitey different for a life size. As far as a pedestal mount vs. shoulder mount....what you want is to have plenty of cape for the taxidermist to work with. Some refer to it as a "long cape" that is leaving more cape material (like mid-body). You can always do a shoulder mount with a cape for a pedestal mount but not always a pedestal mount with a shoulder mount cape. So if you are not sure have them cape it for a pedestal mount. Make sense?

It make since, but if I initially want a life size and then go with a pedestal I assume that is doable

What is the major difference in the caping besides the belly cut?

It make since, but if I initially want a life size and then go with a pedestal I assume that is doable

What is the major difference in the caping besides the belly cut?

Certainly.

This shoulder mount skinning map is way short in my estimation. Cut it back at the back rib and at the knee and you'll never leave the Taxidermist short.

Unknown.jpeg

This is the typical or rug skinning map. Also seen this used for full mounts. Without cutting into any part of the skin that will be viewed.
Unknown-1.jpeg

This is the dorsal skinning method for a live mount. One cut along the spine.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Have a look at the dotted lines and go from there.

Absolutely it is doable, but less than ideal. I say that because of the difference in how you sew them up. Typically you want to minimize the number and locations of the seams. Particularly with thin skinned and fine haired animals (like most of the Africian antelope). It is way easier to hide a seam on say an elk head beecause of the long hair. Plus the cost in taxidermy: time is money the more "custom" work that has to be done the more it's going to cost. You also have the extra cost for tanning and shipping if you don't use the "extra" lifesized hide. Although you can use it for rugs or etc. Hope this helps.
What are you hoping to shoot on your trip?

Its probably best to have an idea on whether or not you want a life-size mount before the skinner takes a knife to it. You don't have to have that decided before you get there, see what you think when the animal is on the deck.

However, if your unsure on how you want them done then have them skinned for a life-size mount. You can never have too much skin for a taxidermist to work with, but you can easily have too little.

As for pedestal and shoulder mounts, just have them all skinned for a pedestal then you have plenty of time to decide and your taxidermist will have lots of skin to work with either way.

Don't worry about enough skin for a shoulder mount VS pedestal I've been getting in Africa capes for over 35 years and never had one to short to make a pedestal mount. Every PH in africa has his guys cut them in 1/2 without front legs for a shoulder. No need to try to explain a pedestal cut, you'll get it. As for life-size. if you get life-size skins the tannery when they sack them up can cut them and then soft tan the backskins for rugs
YOU will pay a little more for dip pack on Life-size tho'
Got any other questions Grady give me a shout and read this before you go...Have a great time !

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...hings-to-watch-from-a-taxidermist-view.16533/

Thanks all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg