Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Hey guys, I am thinking about adding a tusk less elephant to my safari. Is it true that no part of the elephant cannot be imported? Not even the tail for a bracelet? If this has been addressed before you have my apologies.
Also I finally put up a picture on my avatar. Let me know what ya think.

I assume you are in the USA.
If so, USFWS has decided the following:

(The ban has continued)

Import of Elephant Trophies from Tanzania & Zimbabwe
NOTICE: A suspension has been placed on the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Please refer to the information below and our Questions & Answers for additional details on these decisions.

Tanzania: Based on the current situation on the ground in Tanzania, the Service is not currently able to make the findings necessary to allow the import of sport-hunted trophies from elephants hunted in Tanzania during calendar year 2015. The Service makes decisions on the import of sport-hunted trophies from elephants hunted in Tanzania on an application-by-application basis. Unless information is received that shows a significantly improved situation for elephants in Tanzania such that the required findings could be made, permit applications for the import of elephant sport-hunted trophies would be denied.

Zimbabwe: Import of sport-hunted trophies from elephants hunted in Zimbabwe from April 4, 2014, is suspended indefinitely.

On April 4, 2014, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) announced an interim suspension of imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies hunted in Zimbabwe during calendar year 2014. This decision was clarified on April 17, 2014, to indicate that the suspension only applied to trophies taken on or after April 4, 2014. On July 17, 2014, after evaluating new information provided by the Government of Zimbabwe and others, the Service determined that it was unable to make the required enhancement finding under the Endangered Species Act and confirmed that a suspension of elephant trophies hunted in Zimbabwe from April 4, 2014, to December 31, 2014, was in place. (Note: The decision was made on July 17, 2014, but due to technical revisions and updating, a revised version was signed on July 22, 2014). On March 26, 2015, the Service announced that the suspension extends into 2015 and future hunting seasons.

The interim suspension was published in the Federal Register on May 12, 2014. Click here to access that notice.

A confirmation of the suspension was published in the Federal Register on July 31, 2014. Click here to access that notice.

Please click the links below to access a pdf version of the findings on which these decisions are based.

Attachments

• enhancement-finding-2014-elephant-Tanzania.pdf
    765.7 KB · Views: 104
  • enhancement-finding-2015-elephant-Tanzania.pdf
    653.8 KB · Views: 90
  • non-detriment-finding-2014-elephant-Tanzania.pdf
    783.2 KB · Views: 107
  • non-detriment-finding-2015-elephant-Tanzania.pdf
    440.9 KB · Views: 116
  • enhancement-finding-April-2014-elephant-Zimbabwe.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 84
  • enhancement-finding-July-2014-elephant-Zimbabwe.pdf
    701.5 KB · Views: 90
  • enhancement-finding-March-2015-elephant-Zimbabwe.pdf
    777.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
That I know of Zimbabwe is the only place that offers tuskless elephants. At this time you cannot import any elephant in to the US from Zimbabwe, tuskless or trophy.

I have done several tuskless hunts prior to the ban. They were all non-exportable.

Thanks guys, it's what I thought. An elephant tail bracelet would have been nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross