Question on model 70 Winchester 416 rem mag.

biggie21

Reaction score
Hi to all

Just want to know if anyone has hunted with this particular rifle in Africa, themodel 70 Winchester 416 rem mag., and have you encountered any problems, the reason being I’m very interested in buying this particular rifle to hunt in Africa at all times of the year, The one major drawback that I have heard and read about is that the ".416 Remington loads have to operate at higher pressure to deliver the same performance as the 416 Rigby. This high pressure has caused trouble in the severe heat often encountered in Africa." I know it gets hot in Africa but what is considered severe? If anyone can give me some feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi biggie21 . . . that was also my initial concern about the .416 Rem Mag cartridge after its development. However, I decided to have a rifle made and chambered for that cartridge anyway.

My .416 Rem Mag was made in the early 1990's by 'Sterling Davenport' and it's based on a Winchester Mod 70 action. I've used the rifle successfully on several trips to Africa at various times of the year including a trip or two during the very hot summer season. The rifle has always operated smoothly and I have never experienced a single failure.

It's truly one of my favorite rifles.

From what I have heard, there were some factory Remington ammo lots that showed high pressure problems. But it was just some specific lots of some specific loads. The problem has been found and corrected.

That said, I have never fired a factory round in either of mine. I load a 400 grain A-Frame to a chronographed 2400 f.p.s. and have shot it in 100+ degree heat just to test it. No problem at all.

I have two, a factory blue and walnut model 70 and a stainless/McMillan model 70 I built. Both are great guns and the 416 Rem Mag is a great cartridge.

Matter of fact...I think I'll buy another when Winchester re-starts production.:D

My outfitter in RSA uses a Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag as his back-up gun.

Highland, I'm sorely tempted to try out the "new" version of the Model 70 Express. I had called Winchester about it and they said the 416 Rem probably wouldn't be ready until June.

I used a Winchester Model 70 Super Express in .416 for an entire season in Zimbabwe and never had a problem. I don't know how many rounds I fired, but I used the rifle on everything from baboons to buffalo during an entire season. I personally think it may be the finest all around Africa caliber. It has over 20 years of track record in all kinds of weather conditions and I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about pressure issues.

Ken Royce, author of Boston's Gun Bible and Safari Dreams, has done so. In the latter, he explains at length his thinking on and satisfaction with this exact rifle.

He was aware of the pressure problem and concluded that while it was indeed a theoretical issue, no one could cite any examples of extraction or other troubles, even the very authoritative Terry Wieland.

I'd like one myself, only LH and preferably stainless. Also, for me, African heat is severe at 120-130 F. BTDT.

Norm Solberg
American Lawyer In Japan

___

Hi to all

Just want to know if anyone has hunted with this particular rifle in Africa, themodel 70 Winchester 416 rem mag., and have you encountered any problems, the reason being I知 very interested in buying this particular rifle to hunt in Africa at all times of the year, The one major drawback that I have heard and read about is that the ".416 Remington loads have to operate at higher pressure to deliver the same performance as the 416 Rigby. This high pressure has caused trouble in the severe heat often encountered in Africa." I know it gets hot in Africa but what is considered severe? If anyone can give me some feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg