Question on Firearms through Johannesburg...

Bwana'

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Planning for a trip next year to Eastern Cape of South Africa.
(Hoping this global pandemic subsides!!!)

Looking into airfares and planning a stop at the Afton House.

I found that South African Airlink is the only airline that transports firearms.

BUT they have a limit of "ONE" checked bag, and the gun case counts as a bag as well as the mass limit being 20KG max. My gun case plus two guns masses out above that 20KG limit.

I reached out to Afton House to get their thoughts, as I will be using them to help with the SAPS permit. They said only one bag is correct and that I should try to pack everything else in my carry on (Carry on limited to a mass of 8KG). They also said the excess baggage and overweight fees are excessive.

Has anyone had any experience on guns through Johannesburg.

Last two trips, the wife and I flew Business class but this time I am in the back of the plane and will be flying alone.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
I am a bit perplexed and confused.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."

If i’m not mistaken u will have to have a second checked bag because ur ammo can’t be in the same bag as guns.

Sounds like renting a gun when you get there may be the most economical and easy way to go

Thinking out of the box: you land at OR Tambo airport get you rifle cleared then have it couriered by RAM to your destination. This could take 2 days. But at least you don’t have to wear 4 layers of clothes!

I flew airlink from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth in March I had both a gun and bag as checked luggage.

Correct on all counts.

Bend over, enjoy the ride. You'll be paying an extra bag fee for your ammo that must be less than 11kg. You'll be paying an extra bag fee for your rifle AND an over weight bag fee for your rifle. ***and you better make advanced guarantee that the rifles will travel because some airlines reject them due to weight altogether on RSA domestic flights.

Then you have your 8kg carry-on that has your binos, your flashlights, phone, your spare boots, and two pairs of shorts, underwear, socks, and shirts.

That's how you barely squeak through while paying excessive surcharges. Alternatives include driving to a deer stand in the USA or taking up knitting. :(

Correct on all counts.

Bend over, enjoy the ride. You'll be paying an extra bag fee for your ammo that must be less than 11kg. You'll be paying an extra bag fee for your rifle AND an over weight bag fee for your rifle. ***and you better make advanced guarantee that the rifles will travel because some airlines reject them due to weight altogether on RSA domestic flights.

Then you have your 8kg carry-on that has your binos, your flashlights, phone, your spare boots, and two pairs of shorts, underwear, socks, and shirts.

That's how you barely squeak through while paying excessive surcharges. Alternatives include driving to a deer stand in the USA or taking up knitting. :(
My experience has been very different. I have never been charged for the ammo case. I have more recently flown from USA to Johannesburg with it as a third checked luggage instead of packed in my bag, because regulations in South Africa are supposed to require it, I’ve never been charged extra for it. I have a single gun hard case, I have never been charged an over weight/size bag fee for it either. I fly delta to Johannesburg each time. I think people decide it’s going to be a problem and make it more difficult in their minds than it is.
I would try and get more clarification on airlink, the small fee a hunting travel agent charges is more than worth it when traveling with firearms.

My experience has been very different. I have never been charged for the ammo case. I have more recently flown from USA to Johannesburg with it as a third checked luggage instead of packed in my bag, because regulations in South Africa are supposed to require it, I’ve never been charged extra for it. I have a single gun hard case, I have never been charged an over weight/size bag fee for it either. I fly delta to Johannesburg each time. I think people decide it’s going to be a problem and make it more difficult in their minds than it is.
I would try and get more clarification on airlink, the small fee a hunting travel agent charges is more than worth it when traveling with firearms.

Delta is a US carrier. That's not the same as an African carrier.

Airlink is a dog of an airline, however with serious planning ahead, hiring a gun travel agent, and booking your international flight on the same ticket with an airlink flight, they BY TREATY must adhere to the rules of the most significant carrier.

But jumping off a plane in OR Tambo for a connection on Mango or any of the other new-made-up carriers that used to be SAA? Getting your guns to fly for any price is a true accomplishment.

YMMV.

My points of reference:

100,000 international miles flown annually. 6x traveler to Africa for safaris. Most recent flight was Feb 2020.

From Joburg to Blomfontein, on SAA Express, I ALWAYS got dinged for excess baggage. I'm with rookhawk, pay the freight and fuggeddaboutit.

TIA, This Is Africa. Hand out for extra money at every possible situation. Just plan on spending over your budget. Money is like beer, best you can hope for is to enjoy it as it passes through your life.

Planning for a trip next year to Eastern Cape of South Africa.
(Hoping this global pandemic subsides!!!)

Looking into airfares and planning a stop at the Afton House.

I found that South African Airlink is the only airline that transports firearms.

BUT they have a limit of "ONE" checked bag, and the gun case counts as a bag as well as the mass limit being 20KG max. My gun case plus two guns masses out above that 20KG limit.

I reached out to Afton House to get their thoughts, as I will be using them to help with the SAPS permit. They said only one bag is correct and that I should try to pack everything else in my carry on (Carry on limited to a mass of 8KG). They also said the excess baggage and overweight fees are excessive.

Has anyone had any experience on guns through Johannesburg.

Last two trips, the wife and I flew Business class but this time I am in the back of the plane and will be flying alone.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
I am a bit perplexed and confused.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Sa joburg a pain in the assss. Travel with guns will hook u up but it's like 250 and it's still a pain in the asssss

For rifle import in to RSA, have used Gracy Travel six times and two of those hunts used storage in Joburg while I went fishing. Never a problem and IIRC, the permitting fee was $135 for two rifles.

Isn't there a $25.00 per gun each way fee too for Airlink -- Been a while since i looked at it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois