Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
How does South African culture compare to South American culture when making purchases?
In South America it is considered a great insult not to negotiate with a vendor for an item(s) a person wishes to purchase.
Are South African tradition/custom/courticies the same?
Examples:
1. A particular vendor in South America would ask $10.00 USD for a llama wool sweater.
The negotiation would start, in the end we would come to an agreement of sort: 3-4 sweaters for $10.00-$20.00 USD, along with other added trinkets available in his/her shop.
2. Local food vendors charge at set rate: "thier version of steak"(safe) or chicken ( although advised not to eat; I had no problem, my chicken was fully cooked, no blood, no pink. It was actually better prepared than most chicken restaraunts in US). PROTECT YOURSELF! DO NOT EAT ANYTHING PORK! while in South America! Pork is improperly handled and cooked. Meal was served with potatoes (fries), and a coca-cola. (Avoid the situation, don't ask for a Pepsi. Our locals only understood Coca and cola).
If the food plate they served wasn't enough to satisfy your appetite, a second plate would be served at no charge. However, a charge would be added for a second coke. Cost $1.00-$1.25 USD or 200 Cucre (Equadorian).
Leaving food on a plate be it your first, or any additional plate(s) would also be considered an insult.
3. KNOW your money! Equidorians and Panamanians know thier money and will literally fight ( be it fists, machette, club, blow dart from blowgun, etc.) a person who insists on trying to pass off the other county's currency. Literally, they will not touch the other's currency.

Negotiation of price is always a joy in the South African craft markets. Enjoy the back and forth sir!

Even at the airport, negotiate for anything expensive - particularly jewelry.

Thanks for the info.
It was an unusual way of shopping; a new experience, bartering for even the simpliless items in South America.

I haven't been to Africa but I have been to South America and the Ecuador that I've been to is completely different than the one noted above. First off, the Sucre hasn't been in use since it got devalued to nothingness in 1999 &early 2000 when the government adopted the US Dollar as the national currency. Along the Panam highway there are rural markets as well as modern shopping centers. Prices are marked quite reasonably, but as noted above if you engage in a conversation prior to the actual discussion of the purchase, the seller will be more inclined "deal" with you since now you are a friend. this is more true in the rural markets than the stores where you will be talking to an employee rather than the owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!