Question on .458 Whitworth Express

Thomas G. Vogt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Need a little help here from someone that knows for sure about the specs on an early Whitworth .458 with Birmingham proof marks. I have the rifle listed on the for sale page. From the stamping near the bolt it looks like a 1974 gun.

I was told that the rifle I was set up for a 3.6+ inch OAL cartridge. I was also told the mag box was 3.68" and he though the action was opened to match. I don't know what that means. He thought the rifle would be 3.4"

I know the standard dimension for the.458 mag cartridge is 3.340 so as long as the chamber is correctly reamed what is the problem with having a magazine box that is 3.68?

The question I have from someone that owns one of these Whitworth Express .458's is, are the specs on the rifle I have for sale factory? I don't want to relist it if there was something done to it post factory or at least let them know the specs.

Thank you in advance
Tom

Last edited:
I received a PM from a member that helped immensely.

Thanks
Care to share the info? From what your describing, it sounds almost like a Lott conversion from the WM? Just curious? My .375 Whitworth of course, had the action lengthened (modified) at the factory to accept the longer cartridge.

Secrets?? ;) Lets here it, we're all friends here.:confused:

The information came from a source other than here.
Sorry but rules prohibit me from sharing on the forum

If so that's news to me. Where do you suppose most of the information posted on this forum comes from? Elsewhere.

I didn't think I could post a link for another site
If that is not the case I would be more than glad to let everyone know where it is

Reactions: crs
True, they don't like a link to another forum I don't think, but the general info can certainly be posted, paraphrase.:rolleyes:(y)

Ses,
My but you are the inquisitive one, aren't you?
I did not know that you had a .458 Whitworth Express. I do not have one either, so how about a picture?

I don't have one, nor want one. I do of course have a .375(y) and always like to see more info posted on these rifles whenever possible.

I would like to have a .458 Whitworth? I only have a .375 Whitworth and my CZ .458WM? Might need an extra in case one breaks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross