Question for the outfitters and PH's

dobber

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
In a different thread there was a little debate about the ill prepared hunter coming over, more so for dangerous game. So the question i have, is how many PH's or outfitters changed the hunt based on the ill prepared, whether they stopped the hunt altogether and decided fishing was more their speed, or just said this is enough, not risking my life for someone who clearly has no clue.
I take a blind leap when trusting my PH, but he or she has been in the business for however long, so they have that experience going for them, while they know nothing other than some stories about hunting deer, and as most hunters and fishermen, we sometimes don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Curious if this has happened, or heard of happening from other outfitters/PH's

A P.H. told me a story of a client he had that needed "much instruction" as he called it, in how to load, handle, and carry a firearm, as well as how to walk and stalk. This was a dangerous game safari as well. He said that he took him on many long walks a distance from the game until he got better. Also a large amount of "diesel stalking" He did not say if he actually got a shot at game.

A P.H. told me a story of a client he had that needed "much instruction" as he called it, in how to load, handle, and carry a firearm, as well as how to walk and stalk....

WOW!!!

My favourite tale along the line of incompetent/excited hunters was told to me in Natal.
First of all minimal english on the hunters part was a huge issue. Which became evident. (I feel for PH's everywhere who have to deal with hunters who can not speak the local language)

The instruction was to not shoot until told to do so. That is, give the PH time to do his job and assess the trophy and then the PH would give the go ahead.
The hunter nodded understanding. and off they go.

First stalk. They get into position and he gets the hunter to set up and be ready.
The PH is watching through the Binoculars and determines that the animal is not a trophy. So, he say's "Don't shoot".
BANG!
@#$%^&* WTF? (In his head.)

Go pick up a poor quality animal and reiterate the rules.

Repeat stalk, get hunter set up.....
Evaluate trophy ....
Time to adapt.
PH holds his hand in front of the scope. It was a decent trophy, remove hand. Bang.
If not hand remains in front of the scope. Move onward.

Not really unsafe, but unnerving.

I guide young hunters with NO FIREARMS EXPERIENCE on local youth deer hunts. The shells stay in my pocket until the deer is calm, feeding and in range with the gun pointed at the animal. at that time I will insert THE ROUND (singular) into the rifle and tell them to shoot when ready. Not the most successful way but the only way I will do it. I have heard many stories from P.H.'s about the unprepared or quirky hunters they have had, will be interesting to see what they post here. I hope none of them are about me!!!!

I've been on safaris (as a client) where the next guy flew in and admits in camp he had never shot anything. And he brings a brand new rifle, scope and scope mounts all in their original separate boxes asking for help to fit everything together.
Sometimes ending a safari and leaving is not all that bad :whistle::)

I have taken people deer hunting and explained all the rules and had them tell me back what the rules are. Then we go out and damn if they don't screw it up. Teaching someone to hunt takes a lot of patience and if I were doing it as a PH I would not do well in tips.

In a different thread there was a little debate about the ill prepared hunter coming over, more so for dangerous game. So the question i have, is how many PH's or outfitters changed the hunt based on the ill prepared, whether they stopped the hunt altogether and decided fishing was more their speed, or just said this is enough, not risking my life for someone who clearly has no clue.
I take a blind leap when trusting my PH, but he or she has been in the business for however long, so they have that experience going for them, while they know nothing other than some stories about hunting deer, and as most hunters and fishermen, we sometimes don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

It is interesting to me how many hunters do seem to take a blind leap in hunting DG with a PH they know very little if anything about. To me I'm not sure why with forums like this and the opportunity for many, perhaps not you Dobber being in Oz, to attend the conventions and properly vet the PH. There are certainly many PH's I've never met but based off what I've learned just through the internet I'd feel confident hunting with them. Would I know without meeting them that I'd enjoy camp with them? Not likely, but I don't need to like someone to be confident in their abilities.

Having said that, being somewhat on the other side and having met numerous PH's now, I can tell you most if not all make it a practice to not say anything negative about clients. It's just not good for business and quite unprofessional. Privately, I have heard some doozy stories. Of the stories I've heard I can't hearing anyone just flat ending a hunt due to unsafe practices of the client. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened, in fact I'd be surprised if it hasn't happened. I don't find it at all unprofessional for a PH to properly put a client in his place if he's handling his/her rifle in such a manner to put others at risk.

To me the PH/client relationship is akin to a team where both teammates have roles and responsibilities. If either is not living up to their R&R's, risk of the hunt ending badly increases.

No Oz for me, apparently the immigration cost was too much, so i am just a Brit from Canada working in the US

I think i would rather use my bow than a rented gun for DG, but also in saying that i want my new best friend the PH to be by my side just in case

Phil you nailed it. PH and hunter have very important roles and responsibilities. The hunter must be prepared for what he or she is about to do. Failing to prepare is both dangerous and unethical in my mind.
No doubt many hunters go on safari with little to no prep.
I think this site helps people realize what is expected of them on many fronts and as such we do great service to the sport of hunting.

No Oz for me, apparently the immigration cost was too much, so i am just a Brit from Canada working in the US

I think i would rather use my bow than a rented gun for DG, but also in saying that i want my new best friend the PH to be by my side just in case

My bad, I'd have sworn you lived in Australia.

Uh-huh, we do get them...had this hunter from higher Africa hunting Impala, while stalking for at least 45min's on a heard of impala and some very nice 25" Impala rams in there, he ask me if he may shoot...shoot where i ask...i want to shoot into the trees he said... :A Coffee: that made my day!

I have had a client that had only shotgun hunted as rifle hunting was not allowed in his area.
So his first ever rifle kill and and first African animal hunted with me was a rather large South African Kalahari lion.

As professionals we see it all and hear it all and so should be prepared for it all. At the shooting range we look and asses the clients abilities and skills just by looking at how he shoots and how he handles his rifle.

We have many stories and touch wood no serious misshaps , just a hole in a lodge wall , truck roof and a few puffs of dust between my feet and ringing ears to report

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois