Question for Outfitters and PHs

Australia , by duct tape and sikaflex( a real tough , silicone)
whats with the donuts ,hank .....are you all coppers ,mate :E Big Grin::E Big Grin:

Absolutely too huge rig to carrying around in Africa, only perhaps down in Eastern Cape when sitting on a high post and take some PG, for stalking -no thanks-. Also if a client bring a rig like that, it will indicate that he can not shoot :LOL:.......... there must still be some sport in hunting and a 3-legged shooting stick is the limit in my opinion !

Looks pretty huge that thing. Might as well carry a bench... :D

Slightly off topic but can someone post a picture of the business end of some shooting sticks. I am going to make some to practice off. Never shot off them before.

Cheers,
JWB300

JWB, there is one shooting stick or as the Germans call it Schiessstock, its also bit of a rig... but its not more bulky than a normal 3 legged one even if its with 5 legs... It's should not be very difficult to make something similar. I test shoot it and its fast on the target because its based on a quad stick system but with a extra front leg to stabilize everything, the price is 140 Euro or 150 usd.

The name is Raptor and its made in Germany.

maxresdefault.jpg

This photo is when its used like a normal 3 legged shooting stick.. I really think its a great solution, if you have more time or a longer distance you use it with the two position rest (first photo)...
989-1583.jpg

Pack it in a fishing rod tube when you travel to Africa... easy peasy !!

They'd be cumbersome for african hunting, but I can see their value out on the tundra if you didn't have to cart them too far!
Here's an option for you! Make them yourself! Used them myself for 15 years now on a Pro Hunter basis...work perfectly!

SS3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an option for you! Make them yourself! Used them myself for 15 years now on a Pro Hunter basis...work perfectly!

A great design! Have you tried adding a string a top for more control?

SS3.jpg

Thanks Gents,

I think I will stick with the standard 2 or 3 legged version.

Jerome- it looks like there might already be a string at the bottom of each leg to prevent it over extending.

Cheers,
JWB300

Jerome- it looks like there might already be a string at the bottom of each leg to prevent it over extending.
You are right did not see that, thanks for pointing it out!

If I need that I will stop hunting and I will not do that anytime soon. Why don't you just take a gun vice and remote trigger.
IT IS HUNTING folks. Learn to shoot or give it up. It is not that hard to do. Take the time and show respect to the game you plan to kill.

I do like shooting sticks--2 or 3 leg ones. Sometimes even a Harris bipod attached to the rife for certain hunting.

In Africa I found that a second set of sticks to rest my elbow(or the PH's shoulder) was helpful for the long shots 400 yards and over.

PS Sorry I am not a PH or outfitter but put in my 2 cents anyway.

I particularly like the shots taken off my PH's shoulder. Especially with the larger calibers. I have found somewhat "meatier" shoulders tend to work best. They are generally attached to "meatier" PH's, but everything comes at a price.

Finally, if the PH has been nice, I will let him put his fingers in one ear. If he's been really nice, both.

I particularly like the shots taken off my PH's shoulder. Especially with the larger calibers. I have found somewhat "meatier" shoulders tend to work best. They are generally attached to "meatier" PH's, but everything comes at a price.

Finally, if the PH has been nice, I will let him put his fingers in one ear. If he's been really nice, both.

I don't want to know where you make them put their fingers while you shoot if they haven't been nice! :A Pump:

I don't want to know where you make them put their fingers while you shoot if they haven't been nice! :A Pump:
If they haven't been nice, their fingers are probably already where they've been for most of the hunt.

I am not an outfitter or a PH but here are my two cents on this. At 13 pounds and as bulky as they appear they would be a nightmare to carry in the bush especially if the PH is also toting a rifle. They would go on one stalk and get thrown in the back of the cruiser for the rest of the hunt. The client owes it to the game he is hunting, his PH, and himself to practice on sticks before their hunt. Sticks are not that bad to shoot from with some range time with them.

Guys, there is people on this forum that take them profession as PH very seriously, so perhaps a little respect "finger-boys" !

Drivenhunter, interesting... I personally think it's a huge risk, and not very ethical to shooting on live game over 400 yards standing with a 3 legged shooting stick...
So, you are a excellent marksman or perhaps a risk taker my friend.. :unsure:.... how many people can hitting a apple on even 150 yards standing with a par shooting sticks.. and to be 100 % sure to smack it.

Unfortunately I'm not more than 40-50 % sure that I can manage that. On 100 yards its better perhaps around 80 % and on 50 yards 100 % , so therefore on 400 yards it's a big risk.

Guys, there is people on this forum that take them profession as PH very seriously, so perhaps a little respect "finger-boys" !

I don't think anyone, least of all me, wants to disparage professional hunters, and I certainly apologize if anyone took my comments that way. However, I see a difference between taking our work seriously and taking ourselves seriously. One is admirable . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois