Question for all of you and your help requested.

Cliffy

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
How many of you know of hunters or their wives that are either afraid of or
hesitant to travel to Africa for a hunt? Or, how often do you see refusal to book a trip due to "going to Africa"? I know of wives that won't go because they feel they will be sitting in a damp cold tent, eating cold beans out of a can and not showering for a week.
I'm asking this because I have run into it more times than I care to and I'm working on a 2 projects that may play a roll in alieviating some these concerns.
I have accompanied 6 people to Africa that would have otherwise not gone had
I not gone with them and, all of them will be or have returned.
I've broached this subject lightly before but my research has moved along
and now needs more input from all of you.
Thank you for your response.

I think most people don't think they can afford it. And rather than look into the costs or anything, they continue hunting safe and secure at home. Most people would rather spend a arm and leg hunting in their home state or providence...etc. That way they are not away from their home, job or kids. Hunting near home is a social thing. I think this economy breeds peoples fears of staying home, close to something they know and feel secure about.

There are always people willing to adventure out and try something new and the only thing that stops them from going here and going there is time and money. It takes a special breed of woman that wants to adventure somewhere to go hunting or sight see with there husband. It's a small percent of the population.

I went to RSA with my husband last year. We had planned to go back in 2013. Long story short, hubby will be going back but not me. It has nothing to do with accommodations, food, etc. I hunted with him every day and had a great time. It is a wonderful way to re-energize the relationship. The commradery was wonderful. We treated ourselves after 20+ years of marriage. The kids are all in college so money is a big reason I am staying home. He can hunt for more with the money saved by my staying at home. And I really don't mind. I felt safe the whole time in Limpopo but could feel a definate under current of dissatisfaction bordering on hate coming from one of the trackers. Everyone else was very friendly. I figure if something does go terribly wrong (and I doubt it will happen this soon-no guarantee after Mandela dies) he can take care of himself better with out me. Please don't think I am an alarmist...just being realistic. I have traveled to several dangerous areas (including Kabul in 1973) and see how quiclky the political winds can change. All that negative stuff aside, by all means if your wife is interested in going with you TAKE HER! It can be a great experience. Also, the gemsbok I killed looks awsome on the wall!

Dear Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience put you in a climate of discomfort during your hunt. I'm very curious though...? Is this just a feeling you had, or did specific actions occur that made you feel this way? Did you address your feelings with the outfitter?

I just can't imagine any reputable outfitter knowingly tolerating any employee, PH, tracker, domestic worker ect...who would treat a client with anything but complete respect & gratitude. Most African outfitters build their businesses on the cornerstone of the hospitality that they provide....There should be no circumstances where even a hint of what you are describing would be tolerated...

I would like to hear more details about your expereince if you would indulge us...

....... I felt safe the whole time in Limpopo but could feel a definate under current of dissatisfaction bordering on hate coming from one of the trackers. Everyone else was very friendly. .............

This was my experience of a malcontent
IMG_1251.jpg

When I was showing my photos from the day to the outfitter he commented immediately about this fellow being "cheeky" and going to have a "conversation" with him.
As a contract worker on the farm I surmised that the outfitter did not feel the gesture of a holding up and Eland Penis to me was particularly respectful.
Not sure why the young worker was not to pleased with me. I was attempting to take pictures around the farm and this was a pose he specifically decided to provide for me.
I asked anyone I was taking pictures of for permission very politely before doing so.
I assumed this pose was tacit permission. :)
He was just a kid who had some attitude, nothing to be afraid of.

I just don t see the problem..... today.

We couldn t go to Africa this year as my wife is recuperating from a badly broken arm, but she is making plan for next year, she really enjoys it.

In the future, the situation will probably turn for worse. I hope I am wrong, but this is what it seems to me.

Not to downplay any kind of negative attitude displayed by any of the "locals" one might encounter during a safari in, but a kid from a neighboring farm making a confusing gesture is a far cry from a tracker who was displaying comtempt that was under the employ of an outfitter you were paying big money to is a completely different ballgame....

As a traveler, you can encounter rudeness and or indifference in any number of European countries, or even in the States unfortunately. I would not necessarily assume that this was due to one's race as a caucasian American. I make it a point not to travel and patronize locations where my money and nationality are not appreciated. I have not found that to be the case in South Africa yet....In fact, my wife and I have never felt so welcomed and well received as we do when we visit SA. That's why we have been 3 times and will return as many times as we are able...

That being said, I find it suprising that a reputable outfitter would have employees cabable of this behavior.... If I ever had an encounter like the one Kathy described, the tracker, the outfitter, and myself would be having an immediate "bush" meeting to resolve any issue....

HI. After reading my post I suppose I did leave it sounding like I was personally uncomfortable with the tracker's attitude. His attitude seemed to be directed at one of the PHs who had fussed at him about something or other and that attitude stayed. That was the dissatifaction I saw. All of the other workers, cooks, cleaning ladies and every other person I ran into at the camp were all friendly. I am sorry if I gave a wrong impression. My whole point of the post was to say that anything can happen at a moments notice so always be aware of your surroundings whether abroad or at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,