Question about permanently moving firearms to the USA

I am about to go through the same process, although i must be honest, i have been dragging my feet a little with this. I was told to contact my FFL dealer in the USA, as they provide documentation that is needed for the process to begin on the South African end aswell. I do believe it would need to go through a licensed firearm dealer in South Africa too. Iam not 100% sure on any of this but send me a email and I will put you in contact with the lady in South Africa that handles all of my Licenses. She is very knowledgeable on the matter. wayne@bosssafaris.com
Cool, thanks I'll send you a mail.

I think an auto loading shotgun is okay. The 303 is starting to get some collectible value here (if original).

We complain about US laws but I seriously doubt you will be banned from owning what you have even in CA. If there is a hiccup on the CA end you might see if you have a trusted friend in Arizona that could hold the guns till you work things out in CA. I had a gunshop hold a handgun for me once while I went into Canada. Not to big a hassle.

There is almost certainly a way.

I think an auto loading shotgun is okay. The 303 is starting to get some collectible value here (if original).

We complain about US laws but I seriously doubt you will be banned from owning what you have even in CA. If there is a hiccup on the CA end you might see if you have a trusted friend in Arizona that could hold the guns till you work things out in CA. I had a gunshop hold a handgun for me once while I went into Canada. Not to big a hassle.

There is almost certainly a way.
Yeah that could be a plan if things get shaky, I have some friends in Texas, bit far away but doable.
I misspoke about the 303, its not a SMLE it's a Lee Metford unsure about how they compare in value though. But it is original, was one of my grandfathers' rifles.

Yeah I hear ya, but as of now my property is in California. Might change at some point, but for now I'll need to deal with the laws.
California resident here. I can give you some info.

Laws are definitely more strict than other states. Assuming your guns are legal in California, you will have to self register them with the state within a certain period of time, by mail, including a fee. This applies to all guns as of 2014, whereas it had previously been pistols only.

Be aware that ammunition now requires a background check at retailers which is a PITA. The system relies on information from Cal DOJ.

You may be subject to other laws based on your county or municipality.

You can no longer hunt with lead ammunition anywhere in the state.

To purchase any guns while in California you will have to pass a “firearm safety test” after which you are issued a card. This costs more money and expires after a few years. The test is easy to the point of being pointless, like most CA laws (notice I didn’t specify gun laws ;) ).

These are basic. Let me know if there are questions. I could look up specifics pretty easily.

When in doubt, check the Cal DOJ website.

Yeah that could be a plan if things get shaky, I have some friends in Texas, bit far away but doable.
I misspoke about the 303, its not a SMLE it's a Lee Metford unsure about how they compare in value though. But it is original, was one of my grandfathers' rifles.
Lee Metfords are probably more valuable than enfields due to their age and relative rarity. Enfields are still pretty common.

What about California? From what I could see there aren't any permit requirements for the type of guns I'm talking about, .303 a .22 with a tubular magazine, both bolt action, double barrel shotgun not shortened or anything. There's also a automatic shotgun but I don't have much hope for that one...
None of those guns would be illegal in California assuming the auto shotgun does not accept a detachable magazine or have both a folding stock and a pistol grip.

Auto loading sporting shotguns are common here.

None of those guns would be illegal in California assuming the auto shotgun does not accept a detachable magazine or have both a folding stock and a pistol grip.

Auto loading sporting shotguns are common here.
Thanks a lot, that's great! I don't actually know if the shotgun takes a magazine since its been locked up in my grans' safe for like forever, gonna be over there tomorrow to take a look. I'll keep going on my end and let you know if I have some specific questions.

Thanks a lot, that's great! I don't actually know if the shotgun takes a magazine since its been locked up in my grans' safe for like forever, gonna be over there tomorrow to take a look. I'll keep going on my end and let you know if I have some specific questions.
Honestly, I think detachable mag shotguns are pretty rare. I would assume your shotgun has a tube magazine. But it never hurts to check.

I think a couple of military models are banned by name as well like the spas 12.

Probably anything you can legally own in SA would be legal here but it’s better to be sure.

Seems like you are getting some great advice, but the problem I refered to was caused by the feds. Not saying you will have a problem. Canada, which until the AR thing last year had the easiest gun laws in the world, after the US, and obviously a lot of failed states... And easier gun laws that the US in certain cases... But we self screwed on import export with the US which is very expensive. It is easier for the UK. So probably you are fine, but my point is simply that California does not run the international border.

Seems like you are getting some great advice, but the problem I refered to was caused by the feds. Not saying you will have a problem. Canada, which until the AR thing last year had the easiest gun laws in the world, after the US, and obviously a lot of failed states... And easier gun laws that the US in certain cases... But we self screwed on import export with the US which is very expensive. It is easier for the UK. So probably you are fine, but my point is simply that California does not run the international border.
The international border(s) is certainly the main concern yes. That's what I'm going to try and make sense of next.

I doubt it will be a problem but even before recent events it was becoming a moving target.

Honestly, I think detachable mag shotguns are pretty rare. I would assume your shotgun has a tube magazine. But it never hurts to check.

I think a couple of military models are banned by name as well like the spas 12.

Probably anything you can legally own in SA would be legal here but it’s better to be sure.
Ok, its a Beretta A300 (not the new Outlander, its one of the original ones). So it shouldn't be a problem.

This is 100% true. My advice only pertains to the laws that apply once he is in CA.

Importing the weapons to the USA is a federal issue and one that I know nothing about. I believe it can be done but I couldn’t say anything about how.

With the new administration, it may be prudent to do it sooner rather than later.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.42.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.42.19 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.42.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.42.20 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.42.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.42.22 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

You might want to rethink moving here with the way things are going to shack out with the moron we have in office
Greetings everyone

I'm a US, South Africa dual citizen and I'm currently living in SA. My family, that are also living in SA, has a few old rifles/shotgun and I'm wondering how to go about moving them to the US? Like for example do I need a license to move them out of SA permanently? This is a concern since the guns are not currently licensed in my name and the licensing process in SA is just a pain.

If anyone has experience with this it would be very helpful.

What about California? From what I could see there aren't any permit requirements for the type of guns I'm talking about, .303 a .22 with a tubular magazine, both bolt action, double barrel shotgun not shortened or anything. There's also a automatic shotgun but I don't have much hope for that one...
When I lived in California I imported two long guns at different times from the UK - both DB shotguns. To bring into the US I needed a permit from the BATF that listed the specific firearms I wanted to import. This is a fairly simple form that is available from the BATF website. Filled in and mailed it took a few weeks to receive the permit. Also needed was a dealer with a FFL for importing guns. This I found. Gun shipped from UK, cleared through customs by the importing dealer and forwarded to my FFL dealer in California. Usual paperwork, background check and waiting period and I had my gun. Latest was about 3 years ago.

If I had done this in my current state of Arizona, all above would have applied except no waiting period.

You will probably need to find a permited export dealer or equivalent in SA in order to legally export your guns.

When I lived in California I imported two long guns at different times from the UK - both DB shotguns. To bring into the US I needed a permit from the BATF that listed the specific firearms I wanted to import. This is a fairly simple form that is available from the BATF website. Filled in and mailed it took a few weeks to receive the permit. Also needed was a dealer with a FFL for importing guns. This I found. Gun shipped from UK, cleared through customs by the importing dealer and forwarded to my FFL dealer in California. Usual paperwork, background check and waiting period and I had my gun. Latest was about 3 years ago.

If I had done this in my current state of Arizona, all above would have applied except no waiting period.

You will probably need to find a permited export dealer or equivalent in SA in order to legally export your guns.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg