Question about permanently moving firearms to the USA

EpEp

Reaction score
Greetings everyone

I'm a US, South Africa dual citizen and I'm currently living in SA. My family, that are also living in SA, has a few old rifles/shotgun and I'm wondering how to go about moving them to the US? Like for example do I need a license to move them out of SA permanently? This is a concern since the guns are not currently licensed in my name and the licensing process in SA is just a pain.

If anyone has experience with this it would be very helpful.

Don't know either, but those items would not require a license to own in most parts of the US. At least not till yesterday. There can be specific problem per country though. Just the other day someone from Canada wanted to go to a shoot in the US, a routine thing. They got turned down, seems to be because Trudeau banned a range of weapons that also means that they cut the trade in those items. So when he went to get his usual export for a visit type permit, that is only required when the people in Canada added license requirements that in effect limit US citizens... Anyway, stuff can change fast.

If you check the classified section you will see that Doctari Kevin 'Robertson is in the process of exporting his .505 Gibbs from RSA to USA. I am sure you will be able to contact him with a PM and he can fill you in on how and who you will need to do this. Needless to say the sooner you do this the better (on both ends). Depending on the values the costs may be prohibitive?

If you check the classified section you will see that Doctari Kevin 'Robertson is in the process of exporting his .505 Gibbs from RSA to USA. I am sure you will be able to contact him with a PM and he can fill you in on how and who you will need to do this. Needless to say the sooner you do this the better (on both ends). Depending on the values the costs may be prohibitive?
Oh thanks! I'll take a look at that.

I don't believe there is any state where you need a permit to own a shotgun or hunting rifle. I would assume you could file paperwork as if you are a visiting hunter and bring them in with minimal hassle.

This assumes you don't have stuff that is more regulated in the US such as

-shotguns with a barrel shorter then 18 inches

-silencers

-rifles with a barrel shorter than 16 inches.

I don't believe there is any state where you need a permit to own a shotgun or hunting rifle. I would assume you could file paperwork as if you are a visiting hunter and bring them in with minimal hassle.

-silencers

Yes, from what I've seen so far that is my impression, I do think there are some additional things if you want to permanently import them. But I have no idea what is required on the end of exporting them from South Africa.

-silencers

in the People's Republic of New Jersey, you need a permit to be able to purchase any kind of gun, including BB and pellet guns, and black powder rifles. TINS. Same for NYC, though I believe it isn't so restrictive for long guns once you get to maybe Westchester/Putnam/Orange.

So, no crimes committed with guns in New Jersey?
Only with black market guns hustled up from Virginia. Curiously, those same guns don't seem to be that big of a problem in Virginia. ;)

in the People's Republic of New Jersey, you need a permit to be able to purchase any kind of gun, including BB and pellet guns, and black powder rifles. TINS. Same for NYC, though I believe it isn't so restrictive for long guns once you get to maybe Westchester/Putnam/Orange.

Same for Illinois

What about California? From what I could see there aren't any permit requirements for the type of guns I'm talking about, .303 a .22 with a tubular magazine, both bolt action, double barrel shotgun not shortened or anything. There's also a automatic shotgun but I don't have much hope for that one...

I don't know if you want to go to Kalifornia. Beautiful state, with some serious screwed up laws.

I assume you're talking about an SMLE or similar?

as i recall, Cali has some idiotic restriction having to do with rifles that have bayonette lugs. hopefully somebody from cali will be along shortly

Yeah it's a SMLE. I know California has some restrictive laws, hopefully its not too bad for my case.

Suggestion. Stay the hell out of Corruptifornicate, New York, New Jersey. Choose a civilized place like Nevada, Texas and most of the western states.

A lot can depend on the job you want to work at along with hunting plans.

For hunting larger game such as mule deer and elk about all the western state have a draw system for the better tags. Sheep and mountain goats are all draw with very bad odds of drawing, even for a resident of the state.

But I will also echo the others who say to stay out of California, New York, and New Jersey they have some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the nation.

Yeah I hear ya, but as of now my property is in California. Might change at some point, but for now I'll need to deal with the laws.

I am about to go through the same process, although i must be honest, i have been dragging my feet a little with this. I was told to contact my FFL dealer in the USA, as they provide documentation that is needed for the process to begin on the South African end aswell. I do believe it would need to go through a licensed firearm dealer in South Africa too. Iam not 100% sure on any of this but send me a email and I will put you in contact with the lady in South Africa that handles all of my Licenses. She is very knowledgeable on the matter. wayne@bosssafaris.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg