Question about mounts with removable horns

lpace

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, USA, Canada
I just received a shipment of trophies and have a couple with removable horns. To the best of my knowledge I have never had a mount with removable horns before nor have I ever received a shipment of trophies in a case. Anyway, what is the standard protocol for the removable horns? Are they glued/cemented onto the skull or just set in place and let gravity keep them there?

Thanks!

On mine I have just dropped them into place. Kind of a light wedging and left it at that. Can take them off if you move and that kudu needs to fit in a back sear... I also have upgraded some animals on later sfaris and hope to replace the existing horns without doing all new mounts. If it works great. If not on to plan B.
Bruce

I just received a shipment of trophies and have a couple with removable horns. To the best of my knowledge I have never had a mount with removable horns before nor have I ever received a shipment of trophies in a case. Anyway, what is the standard protocol for the removable horns? Are they glued/cemented onto the skull or just set in place and let gravity keep them there?

Thanks!
Gravity. It's a plus for saving shipping volume. I have a gemsbok with removable horns and they just sit there, no big deal. A lot easier to move also.

Reactions: cls
Gravity. It's a plus for saving shipping volume. I have a gemsbok with removable horns and they just sit there, no big deal. A lot easier to move also.

Yep, my gemsbok was the same way. Now when I opened the crate and din't know this was common practice, I habout had a fit! The I found the horns and saw they just slipped on.

Gravity works up here too.

I don't know about removable horns. But, I had my elk done as removable antlers. The one issue I have with the way the guy did it, is with the weight of the antlers, the tips, due to gravity, spread out from each other more than they should causing the front 1st tines to be too close.

I asked Dennis Harris what to do and he recommended I hold them in the proper place and add a set screw through the back of the burr. I haven't added the set screw yet as the mount hangs over stairs (requires extension ladder on cinder blocks, etc.) - nobody knows but me on it and it still looks good.

I had my Nyala and Red lechwe done in SA and for shipping purposes the have them off the animals. I ve since had them glued down by my local taxidermist. Very inexpensive to do. I do have a moose with one horn removable, looks fine and makes it easy if you have to move getting it out of the house.

Mother of mine are removable horns..I don't glue them or install set screws.
They slip on into perfect position and that's that..also easier to transport IF you ever move house or trophy room.

My kudu and Gemsbok have removable horns. It makes it way more convenient to move and mount the trophies. I just slip the horns on, gently push em down a little, and they stay put and look fantastic.

My kudu and Gemsbok have removable horns. It makes it way more convenient to move and mount the trophies. I just slip the horns on, gently push em down a little, and they stay put and look fantastic.

Same here. Guess they are too long to ship attached.

On mine I have just dropped them into place. Kind of a light wedging and left it at that. Can take them off if you move and that kudu needs to fit in a back sear... I also have upgraded some animals on later sfaris and hope to replace the existing horns without doing all new mounts. If it works great. If not on to plan B.
Bruce
I like to do this on a gemsbok myself. I wonder how hard it is to change.

My gemsbok came with the horns removed. At first I couldn't get them to fit till I went back and looked at the pictures, now they fit fine. Not a problem. Made the box smaller.

My gemsbok on my avatar due to it's size was done with removable horns. Once they are in, they are in. No big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber