Question about 450-400 3”, 3.25” and 450NE shellholders

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I know the 450-400 3” has an improved, thicker rim than the 450-400 3.25” cartridge. Do they use different shellholders as a consequence of the rim thickness difference? What about 450NE?

450-400 3" uses its own shell holder
450-400 3 1/4 and 450 ne and bpe use the same shell holder.

450-400 3" uses its own shell holder
450-400 3 1/4 and 450 ne and bpe use the same shell holder.

Thanks @cal pappas I’m running into challenges which I won’t bore you with, but bottom line is that I need standard O.D. Shellholders in a variety of calibers. O.D. Standard is .810” or 13/16”.

Some companies make their shell holders that size when they can, others make them 1” oversized.

Do you know which if any brands of shell holders for the above cases are standard O.D. Or are they all oversized 1” type?

I have both sizes in OD. I don't think any maker made one size but made them with what was on hand at the time or what the machines were set up to make. I had a local machinest years ago make some shell holders not made by others or I didn't want to wait months or a year or more.
Cal

I have both sizes in OD. I don't think any maker made one size but made them with what was on hand at the time or what the machines were set up to make. I had a local machinest years ago make some shell holders not made by others or I didn't want to wait months or a year or more.
Cal

Hi @cal pappas I don’t think it’s that simple. I think some firms decided with their heat treat and the remaining meat on the OD compared to ID, whether they needed 1” or 0.810” size. They all decided differently.

So I’ve been buying lots of shell holders from various brands only to open the package and find out what OD they are for a given caliber. RCBS seemed to be more risk averse and made more 1”. Redding appears to have only had 0.810” tooling, so if they made a shell holder they are always standard.

if you happen to know who makes .810” for these calibers, it would be very helpful:

416 rigby
404 jeff
505 gibbs
500 jeff
450-400 3”
450-400 3.25”
450 NE
470 NE
.577 NE

The shell holders for the 500J and 505 went with the dies I sold and/or when I sold the rifles.
The 450 to 577 I have for my own rifles.
I have four sets of dies for .577-500 and shell holders for them, but they will go with the dies when I sell the rifles.
Not sure of the 404 and 416 as I never had those calibers.
I have a box of 150+ shell holders I've collected over the years. I will look to see if I have any extras.

I believe the 416 Rigby uses the same shell holder as the 45-70, so it should be fairly common and allow more people to answer your question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!