QR rings loosen when fired?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Some years back I got a set of Leupold quick Release rings and several years before that I got a set of Griffin & Howe base/rings. They both tightened with a "reverse" thread so that when the lever was situated on the port side of the rifle, the lever was pushed forward to tighten the mount and back to loosen- so when the rifle recoiled, the lever would be tightened. Recently I got a set of rings and the lever tightens with a clockwise turn- standard right-tight, left-loose. Since I would like the lever to be on the port side of the rifle and away from the load/ejection opening, the rings will be subject to recoil that would tend to loosen the rings- Has anyone used quick release rings that tighten clockwise and had any loosening develop from recoil?

I'm using Warne quick release rings on a CZ .416 Rigby with no loosening problems.

Reactions: lcq
I had my back Warne come loose this afternoon on my .375.

I've had Talley rings come loose as well. I have a habit now of checking them before shooting due to this. Only happened once, but I thought my scope had broken a week before Africa. :A Banana Sad:

@Ray B
I advise you to clean the threads any time you remove the scope for maintenance purposes and lightly oil them with Ballistol or a similar product, i.e. a proper light machine oil that will emulsify water. You need to have the threads lubricated for reliable torque. Dry or gritty threads can either lock up or release at any time. As a shooter, former TF Royal New Zealand Engineer; and a carpenter, I can attest to that.

I use several types of QRs on my rifles and after being installed properly I have never had any of them come loose, but leaving nothing to chance I check them before a range session just to make sure

@Ray B you ask a great question and it shows you're really thinking about what is happening during the shot/recoil process.

I've not had my G&H, Talley or Warne QD arrangements come loose but a couple of things I do:

1. I check after each shot from the bench and make sure they are indexed and tight
2. Once sighted in, I never shoot from a bench again. Sticks give the recoil a better place to go (you) and avoid lead-sled scope and mount issues
3. I test the torque level of the QD rings and reproduce same pressure and index area every time I take them on/off again to make sure I'm not moving POI

Not to highjack my own thread, but I hope you are doing well following the recent quake. I've so enjoyed my wife & my times there, particularly on the South Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to highjack my own thread, but I hope you are doing well following the recent quake. I've so enjoyed my wife & my times there, particularly on the South Island.

Fine here, in Wellington, worst rolling quake in my memory though. Reminded me of a guy who worked for us a few years back, When the Edgecumbe quake occurred in the Bay of Plenty, he was a student at the local college ( secondary school) and was outside on a playing field. They saw the ground moving in a wave towards them!

The CBD street that was closed off due to fallen glass, etc. is on an area of land reclaimed in the 19th century. It is one street back from Customhouse or Waterloo Quay, dependent upon which end you are talking about. So ... no great surprise to see a bit of damage there. The BNZ Quays building is on the other side from the Quays and was damaged internally last time around, due to poor placement of a water pipe. The damaged events centre is one of the most poorly designed venues for entry and egress that I have ever visited and ... I am probably one of many who hope that it is sufficiently damaged to be demolished. Councils however, seem to have a habit of holding on to their biggest mistakes.

God bless all of you in the affected area down under.

No. I have never had a set of Warne or Talley rings shoot loose. And of course, claws can't. However, I will admit to the habit of checking them periodically when in the field.

I've had a problem with bases & mounts coming loose before. Some of you may want to string me up/burn me at the stake for heresy, but Blue LocTite has solved those problems for me. Clean and degrease the threads, torque them and give it 24 hours. Unlike the Red LocTite, you don't need a torch to break this loose.

@Clayton I think the string you up/heresy part would be using loctite on quick detach rings. It's like stapling your underwear on...fine if you never need to remove them again. For QD rings...sorta defies the point!

For non-QD rings, sure you can use loctite. I've found a high quality torque wrench with premium rings and good fasteners, all you need is 20-25 inch pounds applied consistently and nothing will ever move on a rifle 375 and lower.

Nothing is a sure thing if shooting something bigger than 375 off a lead sled due to the forces involved. I know someone that suffered brain damage from sighting in a 416 off a lead sled and getting the scope thrown at his head. He then brought the gun and mounts into Gander Mountain of all places and they said "looks great, must've been loose, you're fine now!" so he went back to the range and put it in the sled again and it flew off and hit his head a second time. Blood everywhere. Weatherby kiss x2. And now the guy has memory issues and the permanent effects of a traumatic brain injury. Point being: If you need loctite to hold stuff together please evaluate what you're shooting and how you're absorbing the recoil as the problem may not be the rings loosening...that may be a symptom of a larger issue.

Last edited:
I gave it some thought rookhawk. Defeating the purpose, but it will keep them from being Self Detaching. The blue stuff will let go without much effort.

My worst culprits are a pair of Ruger 10/22s fitted with rials and Blackhawk 6 screw rings. The cross bolt holding the rings down to the rail will loosen in less than 100 rounds on either gun. Has to be the low vibration of the auto action. Blue LocTite to the rescue.

We didn't even feel the quake here further down the country but with 2 fatalities a river and a tunnel blocked by landslides plus the usual building damage there have been many who have felt it quite badly.
I have a couple of sets of QD rings (warne and talley) but I have the lever on the right hand side so that it is working against undoin the thread. Have not found the levers to get in the road of anything so for me the problem is non existant.

I've had zero problems with Talley QRs on our 375 Weatherby, 416 Rem or my 500 Jeffery. I always do check them though before a day of shooting or hunting ...

I always put the levers on the side of the bolt handle, means I have one slick side on the rifle, so sliding it out of a case I only have to worry about one side snagging. Never had any trouble with rings coming loose. As others have said, just check them when you take it out of the case.

I have a couple of rifles one in 375 H&H that has QR rings but I've never shot either of them. As an engineer I'm wondering if their is any type of torque spec. for these rings. As mentioned the threads need to be perfectly clean. I seem to recall that any bolt needs to be tightened to 80% of its tensile strength to be effective. Torque can be determined by a suitable "torque wrench" or the "turn of the nut method." I'd appreciate any comments on how to establish the fact that the "ring" has been properly torqued.

Good point. I'd think an email to the manufacturer would answer that. I've got a set of SEEKONK Inch-Pound Torque Wrenches I use on my guns & mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg