Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
Well OK folks! It’s official – Qatar Airways has canceled my flight itinerary to Namibia in nine days. But very very fortunately, Lori at Travel Express who is amazing was able to get me rebooked flying Ethiopian Airlines Scott of Washington DC- Dulles International airport. I will be leaving a day early and getting back on late afternoon Halloween into my home airport. The flight out of Washington DC is usually at 11 AM in the morning and getting in to Addis Ababa at 7:15 in the morning the following day into terminal 2. The connecting flight leaves at 8:35 in the morning from terminal 2 as well. So not much time for a layover. Has anyone had experience with this –is there a security or some type of customs clearance that you have to go through or do you just go to the next gate and not have to go through security?

I was also fortunate that I kind of planned for this happening. A few others here on this site as well as friends had the same problem with Qatar Airways canceling their flights. Lori basically says for any of us trying to get over to Africa this year will have to go on Ethiopian airways. So please-if you have already booked through Qatar – you need to rebook immediately. This stinks because I liked Qatar Airways-really nice airline and comfortable travel experience but it is what it is.

I'm scheduled to fly to Namibia in November on Ethiopian Airlines via Dulles as well. I asked the same question about the time in Addis Ababa and was told by a couple of guys who just returned to make sure you have copies of your firearms paperwork in your gun case. Supposedly they have you board the plane and then have you de-plane and are taken to a hanger were everything is verified, then put you back on the plane. They said there is enough time. Biggest issue right now is no carry on bags are allowed. Hope this helps.

I had a 45 min transfer time in Addis flying with Ethiopian. Have your paperwork handy and hopefully they will usher you to the dungeon under the airport before you have boarded. There, in the dark, they will proceed to ask for papers and check your gun. None of my papers seemed to impress them until they looked at the Namibian Police blank form I had printed off for when I arrived in Windhoek.

They said police, police, good good. I packed the rifle back into it's case and the race for the plane began. I made it, rifle and bag made it. Airlines staff were great. Airport staff are a bit different.

Food was good and the flight from Addis to Windhoek was amazing. The scenery was insane.

Can't wait for a hunt report!

Craig.

I did have to go through a complete security check as well. Didn't take long. I couldn't understand anything on the muffled overhead loudspeakers . Quite the experience but again the ethiopian staff were great and very friendly. A smile goes a long way in situations like this.

Never heard of a flight that doesn't allow a carry on bag....but at least you don't have 5' tall women trying to place 50 pound bags in the overhead!!!

I'm scheduled to fly to Namibia in November on Ethiopian Airlines via Dulles as well. I asked the same question about the time in Addis Ababa and was told by a couple of guys who just returned to make sure you have copies of your firearms paperwork in your gun case. Supposedly they have you board the plane and then have you de-plane and are taken to a hanger were everything is verified, then put you back on the plane. They said there is enough time. Biggest issue right now is no carry on bags are allowed. Hope this helps.

Does that mean you can’t have a backpack with your carry on small suitcase? I always have both to keep my change of clothes in the small suitcase and then my backpack to keep my toiletries and medications, etc.

Good to hear the small layover is not much trouble! I’m not taking my rifles this time over due to possible delays/interruptions.

The Ethiopian website says only laptops and medicines. No handbags or carry-on. But i also heard business class travelers could take carry-on. I usually carry a day pack with books, magazines, medicines and was told to only carry items that can fit in my pockets. I'm going to try might have to re-pack a the last minute at the gate. Hoping things will change before the flight.

Does that mean you can’t have a backpack with your carry on small suitcase? I always have both to keep my change of clothes in the small suitcase and then my backpack to keep my toiletries and medications, etc.

Good to hear the small layover is not much trouble! I’m not taking my rifles this time over due to possible delays/interruptions.
Hope your trip went well, can you update us on your experience, the carry on situation, and is the layover on the way back REALLY 20 minutes?!

Thanks!

Good day everyone,
The trip was fantastic and Ethiopian Air allowed carry on bags and they did hold the plane from Addis Ababa to Windhoek for almost 30 minutes for two of us traveling with rifles. They also held the 777 for approximately 10 minutes on the return from Addis Ababa to DC for two of us again. There was an agent who met us with a sign listing our names and he stayed with us the entire time in Addis Ababa until we were back on the next flight both coming and going. Other than the return flight being extremely long the flights on Ethiopian Air were okay. Service was good, there was plenty of food which wasn't bad for airline food and our bags and rifles made it with us without issue. I hope this helps. Safe travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,