Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
This is for those that have done longer layover in Doha.
Looks like on my return flight from JNB to Houston this April I will have about a 9 hour layover in Doha. 23:00 to 08:00 time.
Is it worth getting hotel room? Or just try rest in lounge. I am flying business class.

Greatly appreciate advice from those who have done long layover

The lounge that we went to was super nice, but it didn't make it any easier for me to sleep. Personally if I had a really long layover there again like I did the last time, I'd get one of those small rooms and I'd be much happier.

Looks like on my return flight from JNB to Houston this April I will have about a 9 hour layover in Doha. 23:00 to 08:00 time.
Is it worth getting hotel room? Or just try rest in lounge. I am flying business class.

For that long get a place to lay down and sleep, then get a shower prior to departure. Flying business class you’ll have access to the Al Mourjan lounge where everything food and drink is included in the admission. So get a bite and whatever else. There are some sleeping rooms at one end of the lounge but they fill up quickly especially at that hour.

So I’d suggest after a meal to get a hotel room. But there is now a second choice. The first is the Oryx Hotel which is there where all of the concourses / terminals meet in the middle. It’s great, but it’s pricy.

The second choice that just opened is the Oryx Garden Hotel near gate C14. You can take the shuttle train most of the way to that gate. Once there, it’s a pretty short walk. The Oryx Garden Hotel was about 1/2 the cost of the main Oryx hotel. A few less features, but again a beautiful spotlessly clean room and shower. I’d do this every time with a layover that long.

Here’s a YT video about it:

I’ve no idea however how to make reservations online, we were walk ins like the guy in the video. If you used a travel agent, I’d talk to them.

Last edited:

It is right on the line for me timewise. Since you are business class I'd lean towards going to the Al Mourjan lounge, have a shower, and a nice meal and relax.

Maybe the lounges are guaranteed to people in BC. But they won't let you buy your way in unless they are really slow. If they're busy, they won't let you in.

Maybe the lounges are guaranteed to people in BC. But they won't let you buy your way in unless they are really slow. If they're busy, they won't let you in.
We used a travel agent for the trip to Uganda this past October. The travel agent setup reservations in the Al Mourjan lounge, so we didn’t have that trouble.

We used a travel agent for the trip to Uganda this past October. The travel agent setup reservations in the Al Mourjan lounge, so we didn’t have that trouble.
We thought you could just buy in at the front desk, but they wouldn't let us at the time. If I ever go back through there, I would definitely arrange it up front. I had a 10 hour layover there and had no place to go until the other guys arrived 6 hours later.
Now that Delta has the direct flight to SA again, and I can just jump on Airlink from there to Zim, I hope to never have to fly Qatar again anyway.

I think you can make either the lounge or the Oryx hotel work @Mark Biggerstaff ... Both will have a place to shower and get cleaned up.. the lounge will have good food, drink, and a comfortable place to sit and chill out for a while.. the Oryx will be quieter and you'll be able to sleep a little easier.. but.. Im not sure how much sleep you'll actually get.. a 9 hour layover really only equals about a 7 hour window of sleep time at best (probably closer to 6) by the time you get off the plane, make it to the hotel, check in, get settled, etc.. then get out of the hotel and to your gate with some spare time prior to boarding.. For me, I try to sleep as much as a I can on the flight over.. and then I try to sleep again on the flight between Doha and Joberg.. If I slept while in Doha it would make it almost impossible for me to crash out again on the plane..

I prefer to hit the ground in SA fresh from sleep if at all possible.. those early AM arrival times on Qatar Air make for a busy first day in camp (arrive before lunch, eat, hit the range, go straight to the field.. )..

Thanks guys!
There are 3 in our group total. I am flying out of Houston. Others out of Dallas.
We will meet in Doha for flight to Johberg.
The return was being an issue. I was actually booked already for the 20:30 departure from Johberg back to Doha.
Other guys are on the 13:55 flight to Doha. So they can catch earlier flight to Dallas.
There are 2 flights daily from Doha to Dallas. Only 1 flight to Houston.
Was trying make it easy on PH dropping us off at airport. Cost I just got to switch to earlier flight and layover in Doha is not gonna happen. Will just give PH some extra to hang with me at Johberg airport till I can check in for my original flight.

I am not sure if I'll get to fly Qatar again. I've been checking business class prices for all kinds of dates and destinations and all I'm seeing is $8000rt. Maybe next year!

Economy isnt great either.. currently about $2250 a ticket out of DFW... last year was about $1800 for the same time frame.. the year prior was about $1400..

That said, for me I think Qatar is still a better option out of DFW than United, Delta, or American... all have their own issues (no guns on American.. clear customs in Newark with United, and even more outrageous pricing than Qatar with Delta)..

United is slightly cheaper (about $2000 a ticket)... Delta is more expensive.. and American is a little bit less than Qatar..

Since I am a "Platnium Pro" flyer with American, I am tempted to just say to hell with guns this year and fly American.. Ive got enough miles to get 2 tickets in economy for free.. and if the plane isn't full, they would very likely upgrade me to business at no charge.. at a minimum I can take "comfort" seats and/or exit row in economy at no additional cost..

The quandary is... I would REALLY like to take guns this year (I typically prefer my own over camp rifles.. but in this particular case, the wife is buffalo hunting.. and I'd REALLY like for her to be able to hunt with her own rifle as opposed to a camp rifle).. So Im thinking Im going to just have to bite the proverbial bullet and book on Qatar...

Im going to hold out just a little while longer and see if they come to their senses and get their ticket prices more in line with the other carriers out of DFW... but will definitely make a final decision soon (don't want to risk not getting a decent seat or the right dates by waiting too long)....

We have used the Oryx on 2 trips. It was great to recharge the batteries with a long, hot, shower and a comfortable 5+ hours of undisturbed sleep.

Safe travels

I flew that same route a few years ago and got a hotel room for the 9 hours. The Business Class lounge is huge and very nice. Most people could find a place to rack out and be fine. Big comfortable chairs and lay flat loungers are available. How busy the lounge is might be a big factor due to noise and commotion.

Economy isnt great either.. currently about $2250 a ticket out of DFW... last year was about $1800 for the same time frame.. the year prior was about $1400..

That said, for me I think Qatar is still a better option out of DFW than United, Delta, or American... all have their own issues (no guns on American.. clear customs in Newark with United, and even more outrageous pricing than Qatar with Delta)..

United is slightly cheaper (about $2000 a ticket)... Delta is more expensive.. and American is a little bit less than Qatar..

Since I am a "Platnium Pro" flyer with American, I am tempted to just say to hell with guns this year and fly American.. Ive got enough miles to get 2 tickets in economy for free.. and if the plane isn't full, they would very likely upgrade me to business at no charge.. at a minimum I can take "comfort" seats and/or exit row in economy at no additional cost..

The quandary is... I would REALLY like to take guns this year (I typically prefer my own over camp rifles.. but in this particular case, the wife is buffalo hunting.. and I'd REALLY like for her to be able to hunt with her own rifle as opposed to a camp rifle).. So Im thinking Im going to just have to bite the proverbial bullet and book on Qatar...

Im going to hold out just a little while longer and see if they come to their senses and get their ticket prices more in line with the other carriers out of DFW... but will definitely make a final decision soon (don't want to risk not getting a decent seat or the right dates by waiting too long)....
I'm around 2K out of the northeast on Qatar. I'm really hamstringed being in between Boston and New York, both who hate guns. Qatar was my best option as they will see my guns through from my home state (CT) to Harare. My flight home only has a 3 hour layover in Doha so I wont be needing a room or lounge.

I will look to upgrade to business at the gate if theres a drastic reduction in prices.

I'd do the lounge again for that timeframe. It was spacious, had good food / drink, and a clean shower.

Only thing I'd add to what others have said is check to see when Ramadan is this year. I happened to fly during that time and they force observance. Meaning no food or drink (especially not alcohol). I had to beg someone for a glass of water in the lounge. I respect that is their belief system, but it is not mine. Should not force it on others.

I was in the Dubai airport lounge during Ramadan and they had food and non-alcoholic drinks. No booze, which isn’t that big a deal in a 9 hour layover. I’m surprised to hear that the Doha airport enforced fasting.

That was my only experience and was in 2018. They might have had food for sale out in the main airport - I was in the lounge. There was some out for a bit but they pulled it. I remember being shocked that they even pulled the fruit, packaged stuff, and water. I get that service may not be 24/7 but would expect to at least have some self service options.

Fasting during Ramadan is from dawn to dusk, so the lounge can serve at night.

I was in the Dubai airport lounge during Ramadan and they had food and non-alcoholic drinks. No booze, which isn’t that big a deal in a 9 hour layover. I’m surprised to hear that the Doha airport enforced fasting.

A little off topic, but Emirates you can get booze in the lounge during Ramadan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross