Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Has anyone flown through Doha on Qatar Airways. We have really reasonable priced flight but around an eight hour layover both ways. I see they do have a hotel in airport and you don't have to clear customs to use it. Just wanted to know what people thought of it. We arrive in JO-berg at 10am so no overnight there

I'm interested in this as well. I'm flying Qatar to Namibia in November and have a 9 hour layover in Doha both ways..

Any helpful info would be appreciated!

I had some friends in Houston fly Qatar B-class to Joburg and raved about the good service and food. Half the cost of Delta b-class, but longer overall travel time. A hotel room for the long layover was included.

I was looking at Qatar as well. It's the least expensive option by far from either DFW or Houston, Texas. The reviews I have seen on line are positive, but I was wondering about firearms as well. I have not found any reviews from people traveling with firearms.

Don't know about firearms. I do know my travel agent as for serial number. My have to have some sort of permission. This were touring some and will use ph rifle. It is
a ruger alaskan in 416. Mine is a 375.

I have flown with Qatar (return) from Johannesburg to Kuala Lumpur via Doha a while ago and again a month ago from Johannesburg to Vienna. No firearms in tow though.

Both times I had a 7 hour layover.

To gain access to a lounge would have costed me some extra money but I opted to retire to their quiet areas within the terminals. This was sufficient for me as I could get reasonably comfy on their loungers.
If however you can gain access to a lounge - do it, the extra fares is worth it.

Service was top class and so was the food. Their new planes has plenty of leg room- even for us tall blokes (6'6") flying in Cattle Class.

In short: Would I fly with Qatar Airways again? - Yes.

I believe Steve with Travel With Guns travel agency recommends them and they are a gun friendly airline. I looked at them as well and down side is layover and total travel time. Business class may be worth it though.
Regards,
Philip

I have always heard good things about them but the layover time has kept me from seriously considering them.

I have not flown with guns but I flew to Tanzania with them last year and had a good flight. My daughter fly's with them quite often with no problems. I had a 7 hour layover and they put me up in a very nice hotel downtown with a food voucher and shuttle service for no charge. If you have an 8 hr layover I would check on this service.

I know they have a hotel in airport but it was over $200. Don't have to clear custom

I believe you need to have over a 7 hr layover to qualify for the free hotel and food voucher. Clearing customs was a breeze. I had a 7 1/2 hr layover on my way to TZ and qualified, I had 6 hr 50 minutes layover on my way back and did not so I just hung out in the airport. Their Family room is free and very nice. Doha was the nicest airport and the most helpful I flew through.

Sounds like we may get
Some sleep before we get to Jo- berg

Anyone flying Qatar Airways have any more updates on:

1)Flying with guns and any required paperwork. When I called they just said, "Ok, no problem. You will need to sign a form at the airport and proof of ownership, 4457. But that's it". I was going to call them again to get a different agents input and ask about 60 days before my flight.

2)Anything with all this stuff about them getting cut off from several other Middle East countries.

So far I haven't heard anything negative and know they have flights going through, just longer to fly around newly restricted airspace. I'm flying with Qatar in Sept.

Anyone flying Qatar Airways have any more updates on:

1)Flying with guns and any required paperwork. When I called they just said, "Ok, no problem. You will need to sign a form at the airport and proof of ownership, 4457. But that's it". I was going to call them again to get a different agents input and ask about 60 days before my flight.

2)Anything with all this stuff about them getting cut off from several other Middle East countries.

So far I haven't heard anything negative and know they have flights going through, just longer to fly around newly restricted airspace. I'm flying with Qatar in Sept.
Better ask 50by50 when he gets back from his trip. Sounds like something went wrong with his paperwork and he got pulled from the plane.

Thanks, just sent him a message!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois