AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
U.S., South Africa
Good day everyone, I’m heading to SA next week on Qatar Airways and had a question about carry on baggage requirements. I was looking on the Qatar website and it looks like they restrict carry-ons for economy class to one 20x15x10 inch bag plus one small briefcase or handbag. The carry-on bag I’ve got is 22x14x9 inches. . . is Qatar pretty stringent about carry-on size? Has anyone had issues with their carry-on bags in general when flying Qatar? I’ll be flying Seattle to Doha, then Doha to Johannesburg. Thanks!

Good day everyone, I’m heading to SA next week on Qatar Airways and had a question about carry on baggage requirements. I was looking on the Qatar website and it looks like they restrict carry-ons for economy class to one 20x15x10 inch bag plus one small briefcase or handbag. The carry-on bag I’ve got is 22x14x9 inches. . . is Qatar pretty stringent about carry-on size? Has anyone had issues with their carry-on bags in general when flying Qatar? I’ll be flying Seattle to Doha, then Doha to Johannesburg. Thanks!
I did not notice Qatar checking the size of any carry-ons coming or going last July. My carry-on was a 5.11 backpack (Rush24) that was near maximum size and I saw people with bigger backpacks than mine.

The Rush24 pack is approximately 20x13x11 (plus harness) unpacked, and I think it was more like 2" thicker than allowed in one spot when fully loaded. I also had my jacket tied to the bottom (in a stuff bag) that made it bigger still.

No issues getting it in the overhead. I flew business class, which might have made a difference.

I flew Qatar coach in 2019. My carry on was a bit oversized but they never even looked at it.

I flew this route in April, they never measured my carry on, but did weigh it. I was a bit over the weight limit on it so they made me move stuff from it to the backpack I was carrying as my personal item. Can't say I see what difference it made beings they were both going on the plane in the cabin, but whatever makes them happy and my PH still got his giant bag of sweedish fish

Weight was all they checked in April for me. Combined weight of carry on and personal item

Qatar out of Houston to Doha, Doha to Jo’berg this past summer, they did not check size. Just checked weight as mentioned prior.

Thanks for the info everyone, that’s very helpful! I’m glad to hear they’re not such sticklers as far as dimensions. . . . Sounds like as long as my weight is ok I shouldn’t have issues.

I flew Qatar Chicago via Doha to Johannesburg. I had a European size (small) carry on and a small backpack as my personal item. My wife had a LARGE carry on suitcase and a backpack. I was concerned about having to check my carry on as it contained expensive binos, GPS, SATCOM, and video camera. Qatar did not weigh or measure going to and returning home.

Flying from Johannesburg to Bulawayo via Air Link airlines was a different story...

Flew Qatar from Seattle back in April - They didn't check size or weight on my backpack. My opinion is that they could be targeting people that are bringing the 'kitchen sink' into the cabin.

Flew them in August…not weighing carryon. Quite a mix of cultures flying on my flight back to the US…packed full…two other flights cancelled and those passengers were on our flight…yes their attempt at carry on was massive and not permitted…we had no issues with normal carryon size baggage, regardless of weight.

I'm traveling on Qatar to Johannesburg in July. Was wondering how you made out? Thanks for the help

I just got back with my group of 16. All different carry on bags and no one made any comments on bag size.
go have fun!

+1 to all the previous comments...

Flown Qatar numerous times both regionally (ME and Africa) and Transatlantic.. Never an issue with a carry on... and have never seen another passenger have an issue with a carry on...

Great airline..

I was in Phillips group and will say that close to anything goes.

I saw some wheeled carry on baggage that they were having a hard time getting into the overhead storage. This was down in the cattle cages that they call economy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,