Qatar airline vs KLM airlines

Looks like it’s back to Delta economy comfort and a night at the Africa Sky house!!! Thanks again for all the info!!!

Hi Beretta391 and the rest of the gang,

@Beretta391 - I'm sure it does seems a little "muddy" now - it can all be quite confusing. I don't book Qatar a lot just because I have had clients with firearm problems and they were forced to overnight Doha and miss a day of their trip. I have just had business class clients on Qatar and they were very impressed but not traveling with firearms.

I do like the KLM option via Amsterdam direct to Windhoek but it is not daily service so you have to get the dates to work out. The firearm permit is not that big of a deal for the Netherlands but I recommend getting it done at least a month prior to departure. Broadheads are not allowed through the Netherlands.

@YancyW - if you were to have a delay on the Delta flights then I do believe that your bags/guns would stay "in transit" in Johannesburg since that is how they will be checked with the final destination in Windhoek. If so and you had to overnight in Johannesburg then at check-in with South African the next day I would want them to give you some type of insurance that your bags/guns will be on your flight. Seeing your checked bags would be the best insurance but not sure that can happen.

Happy trip planning ;)
Lori,
How would you get from DFW to WDH on KLM? Do they fly from DFW direct or is there a US stopover? Might be a good option for some of us going to Namibia and wanting to bypass RSA.
Thanks,
Philip

What happens if your late and miss the flight to Namibia? Do you have to take possession of firearms or does the airline hold them
Yes you will need to have your invitation letter, passport, and 4457 handy and go to police office and get your gun and permit. You may or may not get your luggage in this situation so be advised to have some stuff in a carry on. The travel agents will warn you about the late flight and a tight connection but I’ve done it and will continue to do it and take my chances versus a planned night in JNB. The SAA flight is I believe an hour earlier than Delta so that may be a bit easier timewise

Quick question Phillip, how do you get to IAD from Texas? What airline do you use? We will be flying out from DFW. I see You’re from Texas also.
I usually take American as I depart from San Angelo (SJT - AA only airline) then DFW to IAD. Now with the strict baggage handling procedures you have to claim and recheck unless going from AA to a One World airline. I suppose it gives peace of mind that you checked your gun and luggage for the big flight but still a hassle and unnecessary. I am actually a bit indignant that the airlines don’t work together for the customers as it relates to baggage. I mean we are paying for the airports and they treat us this way!

Another alternative for Texans is Austin to Frankfurt on Condor, and then Frankfurt to Windhoek on Air Namibia or Condor.

Another alternative for Texans is Austin to Frankfurt on Condor, and then Frankfurt to Windhoek on Air Namibia or Condor.

Bingo...........I've flown Air Namibia and nothing wrong with it. Lots of US carrier options to get you from the US to Frankfurt.

upload_2018-4-17_11-23-22.png

I was looking out of curiousity when I was checking deals on outfitter in Namibia, I saw Qatar does fly to Namibia without going thru SA

Lori,
How would you get from DFW to WDH on KLM? Do they fly from DFW direct or is there a US stopover? Might be a good option for some of us going to Namibia and wanting to bypass RSA.
Thanks,
Philip

Phillip,

With KLM you can get from DFW or IAH to AMS. From AMS, then it's pick your poison: You either go to JNB and then get a connecting flight on SAA or AirNam to WDH. KLM does offer a "direct" from AMS, but it includes a stop in LAD. LAD is Luanda, Angola. I flew in and out of Luanda for 5+ years when I worked there and it does not have many options if a problem occurs.

I think if I was planning a Namibia trip anytime soon, I'd look at the Frankfurt option, followed by the JNB option.

Phillip,

With KLM you can get from DFW or IAH to AMS. From AMS, then it's pick your poison: You either go to JNB and then get a connecting flight on SAA or AirNam to WDH. KLM does offer a "direct" from AMS, but it includes a stop in LAD. LAD is Luanda, Angola. I flew in and out of Luanda for 5+ years when I worked there and it does not have many options if a problem occurs.

I think if I was planning a Namibia trip anytime soon, I'd look at the Frankfurt option, followed by the JNB option.

If I was collecting BA or AA miles, I would be looking at Qatar option.

If it does not matter for frequent flyer miles I would still look that Condor flight out of Austin.

Condor from Austin does look interesting. It looks like from a schedule standpoint, there are certain days you can get a non-stop flight to Frankfurt and on other days there are 2 stops and it takes forever. So if you can travel on the days with the non-stop, go for it! The AUS-FRA-WDH flight line up good, with only a 5 hr layover in FRA. Coming home is a different story. For non-stop flights, you end up with a 19 hour layover in FRA.

Condor's website won't allow you input AUS to WDH, so you need to put AUS to FRA and then FRA to WDH.

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/...hird-austin-frankfurt-flight-for-summer-2018/

AUS to FRA
Outbound flight: 9:50 pm 3:05 pm
FRA to WDH
Outbound flight: 8:10 pm 6:15 am

WDH to FRA
Inbound flight: 8:30 am 7:05 pm
~20 hr layover…….
FRA to AUS
Inbound flight: 3:30 pm 8:00 pm

I was searching for my thread on using Qatar airlines and found this one, thought I'd add some information in regards to Qatar Air. We depart June 2nd for Windhoek, leaving from Houston. Here is a run down of the past 24 hours and I'll try to make this short and to the point, saving you the additional gray hairs and upset stomach.
After much research, discussion, etc., we opted to go with Qatar Air for a couple of reasons. Main reason, it was affordable and second, only one layover. I purchased the tickets around Sept of last year (2017). Leave Houston on Sunday, June 3rd, arrive in Doha, with a 9 hour layover, then straight into Windhoek, arriving Tuesday, the 5th, around 1000, whereupon our PH would be picking us up. In January, I receive an email from Qatar Air, flight times have changed, please call. I call, they tell me the flight times have changed, arrive now 35 minutes later or something like that. NO PROBLEM I say, I'm good with that. Fast forward to yesterday. I go online to check the flight status, and I see that I'm still leaving on Sunday, the 3rd, but arriving now on WEDNESDAY the 6th!!! WTF!!! I panic, what the heck is this? I call, on hold waiting for about 20 minutes, finally get a lady on line, very nice lady too, and she states that it shows that I accepted the change in flight back in January. WHAT? No I didn't, only the different arrival time, not a different arrival date. She says that maybe customer service can change the flight or issue a full refund. Another 20 minute as they put her on hold. Finally, customer service on the phone with her, she comes back to me. Sorry Mr. Smith, you accepted the changes, nothing we can do. Now I'm really PO'd. I ask for her supervisor and she quickly gets her on the phone, again, a very nice lady. She tells me they can review the audio from that phone conversation in January and if their representative did not explain the situation well enough, then they'd refund the money or try to work with me on another flight, but they no longer fly into Windhoek on Mondays, in fact, she stated they only fly in every other day now. So I tell her to review the tape please and she said to call her back today by 1500 hrs. I go home, settle my nerves, pray to my LORD that HE handles this and just gives me peace of heart with HIS resolution. I also go online and look for alternate flights. Just so happens, Qatar Air flies out of Houston Saturday and arrives on Monday, WITH THE EXACT SAME TRAVEL TIMES AS MY ORIGINAL FLIGHT THAT LEFT ON SUNDAY AND ARRIVED ON TUESDAY. HMMMM???
I also pulled my notes from that email and phone conversation back in January, which I had at home, and they collaborate what I already knew. That email showed me arriving still on the 5th, not the 6th, and my notes reflect the time differences on departure and arrival times. I call back this morning, ask for the boss from yesterday and I'm told, "sorry Mr. Smith, Suzanne is off today," seriously? Ok, let me speak to another boss and she puts April on the phone. I quickly update her, she reads the notes from yesterdays conversation and she states that the review process takes up to 48 hours, and that hasn't taken place yet. I'm feeling a bit frustrated again, but then I mention that I found the other flights and all I'm asking for is to move our two tickets from Sunday to Saturday. You ready for this? She calmly asks, and in a very polite tone, "Is that it, you can live with that flight and be okay?" I said "Yes Ma'am, surely that's not too much to ask." I hear her start typing in the backyard, she goes silent on me, then asks for our passport numbers. She finds mine in their data base, but my daughters in not listed. She asks me if I could email her the passport number and expiration date tomorrow? I said "Of course, can you change the flights or what? Her reply, "Oh, I've already updated the flights, you leave on Saturday, arrive on Monday, I'm just taking care of your free hotel, on us, for your layover in Doha, that's why I need your passport numbers for the VISA to leave the airport and go out into town." I about fell out of my chair. I'm thinking, why didn't our conversation go like this yesterday?" I told her THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
End result, we get an extra day in Namibia, to be tourists, to acclimate, to just relax, and still start our hunt on time and DO NOT have to spend 33 hours in Doha for the layover. Plus, I can cancel the hotel I had reserved in Doha and spend that money in Windhoek.
I can't speak about their planes, or actual flight service as of now, but I can say, all three ladies I spoke with were extremely nice, very helpful, and really did their best to help me, with the last ultimately coming through for us.
Counting down now to June 2nd!

Condor from Austin does look interesting. It looks like from a schedule standpoint, there are certain days you can get a non-stop flight to Frankfurt and on other days there are 2 stops and it takes forever. So if you can travel on the days with the non-stop, go for it! The AUS-FRA-WDH flight line up good, with only a 5 hr layover in FRA. Coming home is a different story. For non-stop flights, you end up with a 19 hour layover in FRA.

Condor's website won't allow you input AUS to WDH, so you need to put AUS to FRA and then FRA to WDH.

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/...hird-austin-frankfurt-flight-for-summer-2018/

AUS to FRA
Outbound flight: 9:50 pm 3:05 pm
FRA to WDH
Outbound flight: 8:10 pm 6:15 am

WDH to FRA
Inbound flight: 8:30 am 7:05 pm
~20 hr layover…….
FRA to AUS
Inbound flight: 3:30 pm 8:00 pm

To me 19 hours in Frankfurt is not problem, it's a great day trip.

Also on the Frankfurt to Windhoek segment, you still have Air Namibia flight you can choose too.

Flying from Calgary, I like KLM. Friendly staff, good service and nice planes. I can get from Calgary to Johannesburg in 22 hours total. Layover in Amsterdam is only 2.5 hours. You can't take broadheads through Holland, but I don't bowhunt. The permit is just one more form to fill out. You can do it your self easily. Very important that your travel agent properly advise airline that you are travelling with firearms. Your Netherlands transit permit will not be Emailed to you until about 48 hours before your flight. A little nerve wracking, but I had been told it was this way. Apparently the official who does the permits doesn't like sending them out earlier in case you change your flights. The permit is free. The airport is large. I found that I got off the Calgary flight, walked to my gate, used the bathroom, washed up and went through security. Not much time to see the airport which some says is nice. I taped the permit to the outside of my rifle case and kept a copy in my computer bag. Considering the length of travel, I found it to be trouble free and as enjoyable as possible given the length of travel. I flew economy comfort even though the wider seats and more legroom would be nice, but not at $250 PER leg. So that would be an extra $1000 for the trip. Not worth it. That would be a blesbok, impala and warthog. :)

With limited vacation, KLM saved me at least a day coming and going over some other airlines. I did have to use City Lodge at the JNB airport. You just arrive too late to be allowed to fly further in RSA.

Our 1st safari we went thru Frankfurt then Air Namibia straight into Windhoek! Day in Frankfurt was nice. When we went to check back into airport my Wife was stopped going thru security and they went thru her bags. She was a little miffed but ok. On the way home when we went back thru Frankfurt security after getting off the flight from Namibia they again pulled her aside and this time called the cops and took her to a room with a woman there to frisk her, and took everything out of her luggage and carry on!! My Wife is a 5’3” blonde haired, blue eyed woman that is a petroleum Engineer. Think NERD!!! :LOL:Now I thought all of this was funny but she had smoke coming out of her ears!!! :mad: So I’m pretty sure Frankfurt is not in our future!! Also for what it’s worth I’m 6’3” and 290. The Air Namibia economy seats were the smallest and most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in!! My knees were up against my chin!! But drinks were free!!:D:D

Have flown from Joburg to Windhoek a couple times and I noted in the fine print that British Airways charged for your second bag but Air Namibia did not.

Phillip,

So there is a KLM nonstop from DFW toAMS? then AMS to LAD to WDH?
THANKS
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg