Beretta391

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dsc,nsca
Hunted
Namibia, USA , Argentina
Hi All, the wife and I will be traveling back to Namibia in February 2019 for our 4th safari with Kowas Safaris’s. Looking into bypassing Johannesburg. Anyone have any info on flying Qatar thru Doha or KLM thru Amsterdam. Looks like both are firearms friendly
I’m 6’3” so I need some room. We will be flying coach so KLM has economy comfort and Qatar doesn’t. Prices are 1,200 to 1,300$ now. What’s y’all’s recommendations Thanks Randy

I personally prefer Qatar. Generally nicer/newer aircraft.. some of the best/friendliest cabin crews around.. and if you get stuck with a longer layover, the airport in Doha has a bit more to offer, nicer lounges, etc (IMO)..

I have flown KLM a lot over the years, and have both visited Amsterdam and transited it dozens of times.. I have never done it with a firearm though.. My understanding is that while you can transit Amsterdam with a firearm, that they are not particularly "gun friendly", and that lots of people have had issues with not only firearms, but also bows, arrows, knives, etc. in their checked bags..

Whereas I have never heard of anyone getting hassled over a properly checked firearm or bow in Doha...

Not sure but looking at KLM web site their comfort product appears to be just a little more leg room (like Delta) and not a separate class, (like BA).

I just did an in depth review of Qatar Airways since just got back from South Africa using them last month. Leg room in economy is same as most airlines, unless you get the front seats that have wall in front of them...but likely you'll be by children as those get used by families quite a bit im guessing. Planes, staff, and amenities were top notch and no issue getting up and walking around a bit. Doha was nice airport and if you have layover more than 6 hours you can do free city tour through airline or do like I did and leave airport on own, as its free for US passports and taxis are government run and cheap (I spent $80 US for taxi to and from Souq Waqif, souveniers, and drinks at café) since I had 10 hour layover and wanted to see country. I didn't choose KLM because Amsterdam im told isn't as easy to go out and visit on layover and cost more.

Fly through Amsterdam easy just apply 1month ahead of time for transit permit fill in scan and email application usually back in 48hrs and notify airline 1day in advance of flight you have firearms and take copy of permits with you.
KLM friendly airline to fly with with minor requests for paperwork.. contact them for any up dates (flying from Canada)
Form available online.

Amsterdam im told isn't as easy to go out and visit on layover and cost more.

Its true that Amsterdam is a bit more expensive to go "see".. but its actually very easy to leave and enter the airport on layover..

There is a train station in the airport.. its no more than a 30 minute ride to get you to the historic district... I cant remember what the train cost, but it wasnt crazy.. maybe 5-10 euros for the round trip ticket..

All you have to do is clear immigration and get your passport stamped, go downstairs, and you can buy a ticket and be on the train in about 10 minutes..

going back through immigration and security to re-enter the airport really isnt much of a hassle either.. the dutch take it pretty easy on you all things considered (dealing with stupid Americans racing into the red light district on a 6 hour layover for a quickie and a couple of tokes on a bong at the local hash shop.. then wanting to head back to the airport in time to catch their next flight has got to take its toll on airport officials :) )..

I traveled Minnesota thru Amsterdam and outside of it taking a while to get the paperwork the whole process at the airport was really easy. The seats in coach were on the tight side but the Food and Service was quite good

Amsterdam has the reputation of the place not to fly through if you have archery equipment, confiscation of arrows with broadheads and broadheads.

I also will visit Namibia next year and am contemplating the options. The Qatar route is just too long I’m afraid. I would be on a 15 hour flight, then 9hour layover, then a 10hour flight. I may just use SAA IAD to JNB to WDH. You can make the late flight and not have to overnight in JNB. Good discussion and I’d like to hear others opinions.
Philip

I also will visit Namibia next year and am contemplating the options. The Qatar route is just too long I’m afraid. I would be on a 15 hour flight, then 9hour layover, then a 10hour flight. I may just use SAA IAD to JNB to WDH. You can make the late flight and not have to overnight in JNB. Good discussion and I’d like to hear others opinions.
Philip

I am going to Namibia in a few weeks. I am taking the SAA from Johannesburg to Windhoek. I really wanted to avoid the overnight in Johannesburg. If the flight from Atlanta is late, I won't have a choice, but the plan is to avoid it.

Hi All, the wife and I will be traveling back to Namibia in February 2019 for our 4th safari with Kowas Safaris’s. Looking into bypassing Johannesburg. Anyone have any info on flying Qatar thru Doha or KLM thru Amsterdam. Looks like both are firearms friendly
I’m 6’3” so I need some room. We will be flying coach so KLM has economy comfort and Qatar doesn’t. Prices are 1,200 to 1,300$ now. What’s y’all’s recommendations Thanks Randy
Headed over in June of 2019 to hunt with @Kowas Hunting Safaris as well.
My buddy and I are also trying to avoid JoBurg, especially overnight if possible. We have been looking at the Qatar route, but still too far out to see actual flights with $ and times.
Good info, thanks for starting the thread.

What happens if your late and miss the flight to Namibia? Do you have to take possession of firearms or does the airline hold them

Quick question Phillip, how do you get to IAD from Texas? What airline do you use? We will be flying out from DFW. I see You’re from Texas also.

What happens if your late and miss the flight to Namibia? Do you have to take possession of firearms or does the airline hold them

I have that question also. I am booking through Lori at @Travel Express, I was going to ask her. Maybe she can jump in here and give her thoughts.

There is no problem with firearms in Namibia but who knows what RSA may want.

I am going to Namibia in a few weeks. I am taking the SAA from Johannesburg to Windhoek. I really wanted to avoid the overnight in Johannesburg. If the flight from Atlanta is late, I won't have a choice, but the plan is to avoid it.
I’ve done it before and had no issues. Hope you have a fantastic trip! Please give us a report

Has anybody flew Condor to Windhoek, I’m researching my safari trip also, Alaska partners with Condor via Frankfurt. last time I flew through FRA with a rifle was 2005

Has anybody flew Condor to Windhoek, I’m researching my safari trip also, Alaska partners with Condor via Frankfurt. last time I flew through FRA with a rifle was 2005

I am looking to use Condor from Seattle next year as well. Business class seats cost less than I when I went to SA coach in 2016. And it skips the whole transfer in Joburg.

Thanks for all the reply’s! As my Dad used to say “it’s now Clear as Mud” on which route and airline we should use! Randy o_Oo_Oo_O:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Beretta391 and the rest of the gang,

@Beretta391 - I'm sure it does seems a little "muddy" now - it can all be quite confusing. I don't book Qatar a lot just because I have had clients with firearm problems and they were forced to overnight Doha and miss a day of their trip. I have just had business class clients on Qatar and they were very impressed but not traveling with firearms.

I do like the KLM option via Amsterdam direct to Windhoek but it is not daily service so you have to get the dates to work out. The firearm permit is not that big of a deal for the Netherlands but I recommend getting it done at least a month prior to departure. Broadheads are not allowed through the Netherlands.

@YancyW - if you were to have a delay on the Delta flights then I do believe that your bags/guns would stay "in transit" in Johannesburg since that is how they will be checked with the final destination in Windhoek. If so and you had to overnight in Johannesburg then at check-in with South African the next day I would want them to give you some type of insurance that your bags/guns will be on your flight. Seeing your checked bags would be the best insurance but not sure that can happen.

Happy trip planning ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber