Qatar Air carryon

Areaonereal

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Anyone flying Qatar recently…..are they weighing your carry on bags, or has Airlink weighed your carryons.

I flew both a few days ago and didn't see them weigh anyone's. I think Airlink has the smaller Embraer planes though so if you have a bigger bag it would probably get sky checked before to walk into the plane. They had fairly tight overhead bins.

Just flew Qatar. They did now weigh or measure carryons on any of the 4 flights we took with them.

Anyone flying Qatar recently…..are they weighing your carry on bags, or has Airlink weighed your carryons.
They did not weigh mine.

Thanks to all…your information is greatly appreciated

Went in April out of BOS. They weighed carry on and personal item. Also issued tags for them. No tag and you stopped at boarding gate and get whacked for undeclared baggage. Saw it happen to a woman. On the way back in JNB just told them carry on and personal item and they just handed me the tags.

Flew in June Houston Doha Johberg.
Carry on not weighed at anytime or tagged.
I was flying business class tho.

I only had a medium size backpack and they never weighed it at any point. It was overweight but not a big pack. Before I went I did notice that language on the itinerary.
My thoughts: They are trying to catch the major offenders from bringing the kitchen sink and the frig on board.

Are any of you that are switching from Qatar to Airlink in Jo Berg being asked to take ammo cases out of checked bags?

Are any of you that are switching from Qatar to Airlink in Jo Berg being asked to take ammo cases out of checked bags?
I was asked to do that. But the agent insisted only a lockable black pelican-type are would do, and I didn't have one, so she wouldn't let the ammo go on board. The views of the police or the security company in charge of the firearms were irrelevant to her. The rules of her own airline about whose baggage rules should apply to a multi-airline trip were irrelevant to her.

The firearms guys said not to worry about her. We took my ammo and firearms to the firearms room and he just put the ammo in with the rifle. I gave him a 'gratuity' to thank him for being reasonable.

If you interlined would your rifle and bags were on one ticket would they not transfer without rehecking

If you interlined would your rifle and bags were on one ticket would they not transfer without rehecking
They would only if you were transmitting South Africa. If you are arriving in South Africa and connecting to a domestic flight, you have to collect your bags, clear customs and then pick up the rifle and ammo from the police office. You then have to re-check everything for the domestic flight.

None of that should matter when it comes to which airline's rules should apply to barge, but it depends on the agent you get when you're re-checking. I've never had a problem in the past, but this time, I got someone who was determined to be difficult.

Hank, what type of case did you have your ammo in?

Hank, what type of case did you have your ammo in?
It was a lockable duffle on wheels. I checked before I left with Air Canada and Qatar and they both approved.

I've taken a separate ammo case in the past (Pelican) and it's been lost (twice) . . . so I thought since I wasn't starting in a country which required a separate case, I'd just reduce the number of bags and thus the risk of loss by taking fewer.

I know the first time I flew into SA my ammo box made it all the way to Port Elizabeth in my checked luggage, never a question.

On my flight home the agent in Port Elizabeth asked about the ammo so I pulled the case it was in out of my bag for them. Then for my flight from Joberg home I placed it back into my checked luggage.

I was using a plastic ammo can. I figured that if someone wanted it they would take it no matter how solid it was built and couldn't justify the expense of a Pelican case just for ammo.

This was all on SAA.

If you check your bags through to the final destination like Harare or somewhere then no. If you have to clear customs or recheck your bags in Johannesburg then yes.

I flew them in March and they did not measure or weigh. You should be good. They all have limits on paper but don't check but technically they could. 49 countries visited I have never had a carry on weighed (granted many of those were overland travel.) Also never had one weighed domestically in the States. I often carry a lot of frozen meat in my carry on domestically if hunting because they don't weigh.

Here is over 80 pounds of frozen axis and mouflon meat from Hawaii last weekend between the two bags...

IMG_20210726_084404141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never had a carry on weighed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!