Putting the "Tax" in Taxidermy

Might want to look at your sales tax permit. I suspect is says: Sales and Use Tax Permit. And my guess it that based on the value the Comptrollers office is looking for the use tax. Just like the sales tax you would charge for a mount in the Great State of Texas.
Unless it was an astronomical # he still shouldn't have to pay tax on it. Especially 12k?????

Ah I miss read that wrong. I though he meant he owed 12k in tax. If it was 12k worth of work I could kinda see that.

12k value, state Use tax rate .0625 = $750 tax.

Yes I can see that, I completely misunderstood. I initially thought he meant he owed 12K in taxes for the taxidermy work which is why I had the wtf????? Moment.
If it's imported as capes that have been DPC'd but not finished I've never heard of anyone having to pay tax on them as, from my understanding, it's like raw materials but if it's finished work I could see how the shisters can call it "art work" to get their grubby pecker tongs on some of your money.

If the tax man is going to collect Use tax, just another reason to have your work done in the USA and not Africa. And in a State other then your own, to avoid the Sales tax on the taxidermy.

Haven't heard of this before but I could see some new Comptroller at the desk seeing them this way and interpreting the classification this way and trying it. Will be a tough fight if it goes this way. If he took an invoice from the taxidermist and did use the total on an invoice for finished mounts it's not impossible to figure that person out....and why it happened ....if this stays the course and wouldn't bother me one bit if it did. Makes for more American jobs in this country if you don't want to pay the tax....Import raw mount here...wesheltonj, you and I are on the same page.

When i picked my stuff up at the customs i had to pay tax, when they first asked me how much it was worth i said priceless, i then realized why they wanted to know so they could tax that amount, quickly used the taxidermy receipt to pay based on that

When i picked my stuff up at the customs i had to pay tax, when they first asked me how much it was worth i said priceless, i then realized why they wanted to know so they could tax that amount, quickly used the taxidermy receipt to pay based on that

That tax is Duty. The State of Texas looks like it wants to collect USE tax too. USE tax in Texas is based on the Retail value of the item(s) purchased.

I would bet that is on Finished work ONLY . I'd be shocked if it was raw unfinished skulls and salted skins.

Not sure where you are with this- but being a Texan I'm following. I clear 2-3 safaris a year for customers but they are also dip and pack. Haven't come across this yet.
If they persist, I'd get a valuation by your home insurer. I promise your insurance agent isn't going to value your art for that amount. It might give you some leverage if it comes to that. Just a thought.

Not sure where you are with this- but being a Texan I'm following. I clear 2-3 safaris a year for customers but they are also dip and pack. Haven't come across this yet.
If they persist, I'd get a valuation by your home insurer. I promise your insurance agent isn't going to value your art for that amount. It might give you some leverage if it comes to that. Just a thought.

If its USE tax, that is not going to help. USE tax is equal to SALES tax on the purchase. If he paid 10k, that what the tax is on (the 10k) and not the value (which might be 5k or 15k).

If its USE tax, that is not going to help. USE tax is equal to SALES tax on the purchase. If he paid 10k, that what the tax is on (the 10k) and not the value (which might be 5k or 15k).

yeah sometimes throwing spaghetti works :)

Typical government move, always look for money they don't deserve!

OK Tim, or any others, help me to understand here. The State is saying that the value of your imported "box", the mounts, were worth $12000 or the value of your entire hunt, including the mounts are worth $12000. Was the taxidermy worth $12000 alone? I realize my question is not clear...but neither am I!!!

$12k is what I paid for the taxidermy. The state is using the taxidermy cost as the "value".

I explained to them that the value of the taxidermy could be anywhere from $0 to priceless, depending upon who you asked!

The king...I mean state...has said they will get back to me in a couple weeks.

Reactions: BWH
Got a letter today. Could have been written by the blokes at CNN.

Dear Taxpayer (love being called what I really am to them...not citizen....taxpayer!)

Thank you for your response to our recent inquiry regarding the purchase of the above-referenced imported item. Based on the documentation/information provided, we have concluded that no Texas Use Tax is due on the imported item(s) and no further action is needed on your part.

We have concluded our investigation. However, should the facts change or if there are additional facts from those previously disclosed, our position could be different, and you will be held liable for all taxes due. There is no statute of limitations applicable to periods where taxes have not been filed.

If you have any questions....blah, blah, blah.

Happy to hear that no USE tax for you and the rest of us.

However, should the facts change or if there are additional facts from those previously disclosed, our position could be different, and you will be held liable for all taxes due. There is no statute of limitations applicable to periods where taxes have not been filed.
In other words, "if we find a way to f$%* you in the future, we will"

Nice Tim!

That could have been ugly... Glad to see it was just bureaucracy at work...

good news

In other words, "if we find a way to f$%* you in the future, we will"

Exactly!

I expect the worst from gubermint bureaucrats, and am rarely disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg