Purdey 450/400 express (10,3x60R)

rigbymauser

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hey folks.

I have recieved a fair offer on this Purdey doublerifle.
I have been in the marked for a smallbore/lowpowered english doublerifle for awhile. Power wise its on-par with the .44Magnum and RWS still makes brass.
Purdey double rifle in general are rare and at the same time I wanted a new double with another name and another caliber than what I already have.

The bullet dia of this one is .405" where the 450/400 3.25" is .410"(formost part)

Anyone has reloading experience with this cartridge?..

Kindest regards..

bd1HWz5h.jpg

zvc8azKh.jpg

f011vVlh.jpg

7ZehJKfh.jpg

tBFGz5bh.jpg

Info from Purdeys:

The 400 black powder Purdey express double barrel hammer rifle no.13349. was completed in August 1890 for Mr H. T.

Lawford.

28" barrels, chambered for the 450-400 black powder express cartridge, loaded with 3 1/2 drams of black powder.

"C" quality But with extra quality locks & wood. Purdey&39;s made five qualities of gun at this time best, B, C, D & E quality.

Lever over guard opening.

Back action locks rebounding & bolted.

Eyes for sling.

Weight of gun 7lb 14oz.

I hope this information is interesting.

Yours sincerely

David Maynard

Attachments

• 7ZehJKfh.jpg
    7ZehJKfh.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 245
  • bd1HWz5h.jpg
    bd1HWz5h.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 220
  • f011vVlh.jpg
    f011vVlh.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 250
  • tBFGz5bh.jpg
    tBFGz5bh.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 253
  • zvc8azKh.jpg
    zvc8azKh.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Is it the 400 purdey express cordite proofed double? if so there is a load in Graeme Wright's "shooting the British Double Rifle". I just reread your post and it is the BP version.

What a fun gun to play with! Best of luck!

Is it the 400 purdey express cordite proofed double? if so there is a load in Graeme Wright's "shooting the British Double Rifle". I just reread your post and it is the BP version.

Its a .450/400 2 7/8" express. Very difficult to find reloading dies to.
I have Graems book,...but this caliber isn't there. Maybe Purdey only made 40 guns in this caliber?..Had it just been the .400 3" Purdey express.

If its the same as 10,3x60R then Reloading Dies and cases are easy to come by. Popular in Graubünden Switzerland.

The 10,3x60R is nothing but the swiss version of the .450/400 2 3/8" NE.

The .450/400 2 7/8" Express is something completely different!

Express indicates black powder!, otherwise it has nitro proof marks.

Slug the barrel, use lead bullets of proper size (.405!) and black powder.

HWL

The rifle is a 450/400 Purdey(2. 7/8") which is project it self to get reloading dies for plus reforming cased and the whole nine yards. Had the rifle been the Swiss 10,3x60R cases and reloading dies is easy to find.
I didn't buy this very rifle as I found 500 3" express instead.
Its always easy to buy but a 1000 fold more difficult to sell..particular an odd ball blackpowder cartridge that never made it into the smokeless plus selling blackpowder express rifles in general these days.

no that is just my sirname.
i have bought a few over the years though.
from paul jones, buffalo arms, steve brooks, and kal.
all for long range black powder rifles, paper patch and grease groove.
bruce.

Current 10.3 bullets range from .405-.413, and everything in between.

RWS and a few Swiss Manufacters make bullets, but I think I would shoot cast bullets out of it.

Power will be more like 444 Marlin.

I used to have a blaser r93 in 10,3x60R. Nice caliber, kicks more than it should but most Blaser's in that claiber have 27 inch barrels.

If I find a vintage english doublerifle in the short 450/400(swiss 10,3x60R) for a reasonble money I could catch an interest. I am just done with special projects where everything becomes an ordeal in getting ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross