Purchase .303 / shotgun ammo in Botswana and/or South Africa as a tourist

NeedHelp4Ammo

Reaction score
I am trying to research what regulations apply for the following scenario in Botswana and/or South Africa:

- I will be travelling as a tourist to Botswana and South Africa as a tourist WITHOUT my .303 and 12 bore shotgun (i.e. I have NO intention to hunt in these countries!)
- I am a licensed firearms holder in my country of residence. On the firearms license, I am allowed to own/possess max. 200 rounds of ammo for the specific calibre.
- I am holder of an ammo importation license of these two specific calibres for my country of residence.

Since ammo is extremely expensive in my country of residence, I was hoping to purchase this ammo in either Botswana or South Africa and take with me home.

As far as I can tell, I would need a temporary export permit that is obtainable at a local police station in South Africa (I believe SAPS form 520 covers this). Is my understanding correct? Has anyone purchased ammo as a tourist and taken the ammo back with them to their country of residence?

For Botswana, I am not so sure but I believe their laws are similar to South Africa.

Appreciate your insights /opinions / references! Thanks.

I'm sure your plan will not work bud, in SA you can only buy ammunition for a firearm/caliber that is licensed to you & show it when buying that ammunition, it is not a easy thing for a foreigner to do.

Thanks Sarg for quick response.

So if I understand your statement correctly, apart from the mandatory paper-work, showing the firearm is a prerequisite for a foreigner in SA BEFORE ammo can be purchased?

No bud, I believe there will be no way for you as a Foreigner to buy ammunition in SA, Botos is also hard or impossible for you to.

A licensed South African resident has to show the license of the firearm in the caliber of which that is in his name, each firearm has its own plastic license in their name .

I think you need a better plan, I also don't think ammunition is cheap in SA but it maybe cheaper than where you are, we don't know that as you didn't tell us !

Ok, so I guess the SAPS 520 as export/temporary export permit is only available to SA citizens, not to foreigners.

So much for the ease of trade in the SADC region - am a resident in Zimbabwe.
FIrearms control is equally strict in Zimbabwe. Maybe I was too naive in thinking that SA and Bots would accept Zimbabwean licenses on equal terms..

Then what alternatives are available? Are there legitimate/licensed ammo dealers that can export to the country of residence (via specialized transport service)? Am thinking this would not be economical...

I wonder which country are you from, if considering buying ammo in Africa, as simpler option?!

Hello in this forum

Hello Foxi, thanks for the welcome.

PS: wir sind Landsmänner - sollte die Information in Ihrem Profil stimmen, dass Sie sich gerade in Deutschland aufhalten :) Let me switch back to English...

Hoping I will eventually come across someone that found a solution for a similar scenario...

I do think
If you import your weapon on a temp import permit and then need ammo while here you could purchase ammo for that particular weapon as described on the temp license. You actually have to bring tje weapon into SA in order to get the temp import permit

I am sure if you were to import ammo to zim you would incur fairly high taxes and duty hence the high prices of ammo there from dealers

Tally-Ho: while I recognize that dealers in Zim also need to earn a living, a retail price of 10USD/round versus avg. retail price of 1USD/round abroad is ridiculous.

I have checke with ZIMRA (revenue authority in Zim): duties on ammo is 15%, then of course additional 15% VAT. Given my yearly quantities per rifle, within a few years we are talking about five figure USD price difference...Needless to say that that money can be put to better use...

Prices just need to be reasonable in Zim. But they cannot be as the overall economy is dysfunctional across various sectors...But that's a different topic.

I do not know what caliber and brand of ammo that you are looking at, .303? If you can find Federal Premium .375 H&H expect to pay $400.00 a box.

I imagine that to purchase ammunition you will need a firearms license. Thus you would need to temporarily import your firearms at a border crossing.
Certainly in my experience in Namibia I had to produce my temporary visitors permit to buy a box of ammunition.

Thanks gentlemen. Will try my luck face to face with SARS & Co.
Will keep the forum posted on the outcome for any sad soul in the same position :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.