Purchase .303 / shotgun ammo in Botswana and/or South Africa as a tourist

Yes your system makes us all very jealous
Yes, we as US citizens enjoy a fair amount of freedom for owning and using firearms. In my past travels overseas, I would ask my in-country hosts about firearms ownership.
I got some strange looks from more than a few.

The overall issue, and we as Americans have to defend, is that Gun Control, is also about Ammunition control.

Just look at California, and some laws, and especially attempts in the State Legislature to introduce bills with high taxes, limited purchase, and serial numbered ammo.

I'm glad I reload and continue to build up my reserves of components.

@NeedHelp4Ammo, good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out.

Sounds like a pie in the sky half cocked idea to me.....and I am not sure why you thought one country would accept anothers firearms licence ....that's why you have to get a temporary visitors permit........

@spike.t : your statement is a contradiction in itself. Getting a temporary visitor's permit to import a firearm requires you to present a valid license or certified copy thereof from another country. You have to prove valid firearms ownership for your home country. A logical consequence of this would be the extension to the right of owning/possessing ammo for said firearm.

How else are hunters able to bring their firearms to a foreign country if the foreign country would not recognize another's firearms licence?

I asked a similar question while hunting in SA. I was told as an American I could purchase ammo in SA but would have to show my 4457 at the point of purchase, and I could only get ammo in that specific caliber. My friends in Zim also complain about the ammo prices, every time he pulls the trigger on his 505 there goes $65.00.

@Proneshooter : thanks for the reply. My quest seems more doable now. This is more along the lines of what I was expecting - demonstrating proof of ownership at the point of purchase with certified/official document (local or foreign). Buying ammo only for the specific caliber of the licensed/owned firearms is probably the single most common requirement in (almost) every country.

But did you actually try to purchase ammo in SA with only the 4457?
When you say "I was told" : who told you? Of course no names, but what role did this person have: a ammo dealer? Someone with direct experience at ammo point of sales?

I took a look at the CBP 4457 form. To be honest, if that simple form allows an American to purchase ammo in SA, I would be dumbfounded if they did not accept the original Zim Firearms Certificate, issued/signed/stamped by the Central Firearms Registry branch of the Criminal Investigation Department in Zim...

This is the saddest thing I’ve read in a while. At any given point in time I probably have 200 rounds of ammo rolling around under the seat of my truck.
How did you get my truck!

For a foreigner hunting in SA the import permit is the licence for the firearm while in SA and is what is used to buy ammo legally....
For a foreigner buying just ammo I am not so sure what the procedure is....
@Kevin Peacocke may be able to assist with the correct procedure....

As a visitor you can buy ammo with your SAP520, but of course you only get that when you temporarily import your rifle. So no ammo without having imported the relevant rifle.

Update:

I am happy to announce I was able to purchase my ammo in Botswana. Contrary to some statements in this forum, is NOT required to take your rifle with you. Paperwork matters most!
What was needed: (1) from country of origin: firearms licence and import permit (2) from country of point of sale: export permit (local police nearest to point of sale).

I have a contact in SA that has enquired directly at a large firearms/ammo dealer in Jo'burg. The process is identical. I will be trying it out in 2024 as I have covered my ammo needs for 2023. :cool:

This is the saddest thing I’ve read in a while. At any given point in time I probably have 200 rounds of ammo rolling around under the seat of my truck.
You should have it in a box or some sort of container so it is not rolling around!

Congradulations

at a local flea market on saturday i bought this box of assorted ammo for 140.00 usd. not a bad buy.

DSCN1299.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you