Pump Action Remington 30.06 Rifle for plains game in South Africa??

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
I have shot mine off of sticks with no problem. I have also shot it off tree limbs, tree trunks, stumps, hood of truck, over the top of a jeep(uphill), wood fence post, metal fence post. Do not overthink this. :)

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I have shot mine off of sticks with no problem. I have also shot it off tree limbs, tree trunks, stumps, hood of truck, over the top of a jeep(uphill), wood fence post, metal fence post. Do not overthink this. :)

You have a lot of experience with the rifle and I agree but what's unknown is the shooter's experience level. A guy who goes to the range once a year to sight in his pump with a box of factory ammo and only hunts brush country deer with it is going to be hard pressed to be proficient and/or successful with it in Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
^^^ And you think he would be better off with a rifle he has not used and is not comfortable/similar with? Anyone going that far to hunt should understand that they should practice with the firearms they are going to use. Practice off sticks is also a good idea. That said if he is use to the rifle I think it is a better choice than something he is not use to.

Yes I have used my 760 pump for many years and taken many animals. I also have used semi-auto(NOT AR type), bolt action and black powder. I have not used my pump for quite awhile due to wanting to blood other rifles and the weight with the disabilities I have now make carrying it far difficult.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
@Divernhunter Agree take the one with which you are most proficient. My point is there are better choices than a pump for the first time and yes, practice with any rifle is advisable.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Hunted
USA, RSA
Hogpatrol--I agree there are better choices if you have them and can shoot them. That is one reason why I did not take my pump rifle on either of my trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GladisMedi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh