Pump Action Remington 30.06 Rifle for plains game in South Africa??

EDH

Reaction score
Hello all,

Planning my 2nd safari for next Sept 19. Talked a buddy who mainly hunts deer and occasional black bear into going also. He is from VA wants to take his deer rifle - a Remington 7600 Pump Action 30.06 as his only rifle. Trying to convince him into buying or borrowing a bolt action in 30.06 or 300 win mag instead. Not that I am expert my any means, but told him I have never seen or talked to anyone using pump action rifle before.

So throwing it out there for any and all opinions on pump action rifles for plains game. Told my buddy I would talk to safari company about his rifle, but wanted other opinions first.

Personally, I am taking a Weatherby Vanguard in 338 win mag and Ruger #1 in 30.06.

Thanks for any comments in advance.

EDH

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
My 2¢, the cartridge/caliber is fine but unless he enjoys field stripping it at the end of every day (it can get awful dusty and dirty in some venues) he'd be better off with a bolt action. One can buy a Savage or Remington in '06 fairly reasonable and easily saleable after the hunt. Aside that and regardless of cartridge, best to take a rifle that you are supremely confident in shooting.

Related to this, my African hunting buddy decided, after two years of night hunting, he's going to take an el cheapo Savage .17HMR for springhare and any other night critters that might pop up. By the end of the hunt, he was ready to throw it on the burn pile. I have since converted him to the .17 Fireball religion, anything out to 250 meters at night, THA-WACK!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
First of all, I got over taking a second rifle after my first safari. Secondly, pumps are pretty robust - admittedly, not as grime-proof as a '98, but probably as bomb proof as many of the more complex push feeds. If he likes the rifle, and is accurate with it, why not? The Krieghoff Semprio has a bit of a following, and seems to work in whatever environment it is used. The old Remington would strike me as an even simpler design. Assuming it is accurate, with premium 180 grain bullets, he doesn't need a second or bigger rifle. I suspect he will do just fine filling the skinning shed with a rifle he knows and trusts.

Von S.

AH fanatic
Reaction score
EDH

First welcome!

I have the 760 and the 7600 and will say that they are very fine highly accurate, fast recovery riles that have not very many flaws at all.....and maybe they aren't even flaws at that.

If your friend reloads have him use full length sized and trimmed brass and don't pump powder in there until the turns it into a 300 win mag. Ya don't need fat cases in a pump.

Each model had a wee bit different magazine get the right one and no plastic.

Good luck. I

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
Remington 7600 carbine in 3006, left target with 180gr factory and the right target with my reloads 55grs imr 4350 and 165 nosler BT at 100 yards. this should dispel the myth about the reminton pumps not being accurte with the right ammo.

DSCN0589.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Growing up in Canada we did a lot of groundhog hunting. My buddy had a 760 in .270 that would embarrass a lot of bolt guns. That rifle was a tack driver and totally bullet proof. More gun than I want for groundhogs but it sure worked for him. I wouldn’t discourage him from using it.

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
A former boss of mine and his son took each of theirs to Africa some years ago and did really well with them. One in .30-06 and one in .35 Whelen.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
I have a Rem 760 pump and it has been thru hell and back several times. It will function in Africa just like it will here---perfectly! I have been in rain/snow/mud/dirt/dust with mine and it has been just as good as any bolt action I own and there are quite a number of them. It also gets cleaned less and always works and is VERY accurate after I did the trigger which is very easy.
He has it and only it. He probably can shoot it well. Take the rifle and enjoy the trip. Or he can buy a rifle 1) that is not use to 2) will have a harder time using 3) may not use again 4) spend money on that he could spend on another animal over there 5) get a 300 mag that is more than needed and he may not shoot well and why---because you are mis-informed and trying to push your preconceived ideas on him. :)

By the way I would not recommend taking a single shot rifle. You need a 257Weatherby as your 2nd rifle. That is what I took along with my 338win mag on my 2nd trip where I shot approx. 35 animals and many with the 257W. Other good choices would be 25-06/257R like my daughter took and killed everything with one shot and no tracking/6.5X55/264win mag/6.5X300W/7-08/308win. Oh and take the 338win mag.

Now for bullets you must use Swift A-Frames or Barnes TTSX like we did. See how that works. :)

Sounds to me like your friend needs to buddy up with someone more knowledgeable in firearms. Do not trust that Vanguard either.

My 2 Cents

bilmcc

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Ruffed Grouse Society, Wyoming Wildlife Foundation, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett
Hunted
Zambia, New Zealand, Spain, US (PA, VA, TX, ME)
One of the hunters on the Pennsylvania bear drives a couple days ago had a Remington pump in 30-06. It laid low the bear that came at him. We were impressed by its accuracy when he was checking it out, too. Sorry I can't give you model number or exact group size. It's not my favorite action, but it seems to work pretty well!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
If I remember correctly that 760 had some sort of rotary lock-in system? I was shocked at the accuracy my buddy got from his.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
WAB--Yes it has a rotary lock system with a number of lugs. I forget the exact number and am not where I have mine stored. Mine is more accurate than most bolt actions built at that time and as good as current ones.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
As long as he’s using a good bullet and can hit his target, that’s what matters.
In some brushy areas, that fast follow up shot may be what the doctor ordered. I’d prefer a bolt or single shot over a pump but if that what he’s used to: Go for it!

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
followup shots are very fast and can be the difference in takeing home the animal or watching its tail bound off.

DSCN9443 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Good rifles. Ugly as heck, but good effective guns.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
My 7600 will do 3 shots in 5/8”@100m with 180 Nosler Partitions. That should handle most plains game.
He will be better off using what ever he is most comfortable with. JMO.

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
I'm in agreement with most that just because it's a pump it should not be disqualified from going to Africa. The cartridge is just about perfect although I have a feeling he is going to want to bring his 180gr corelocts. Don't do that imo

A couple things to consider

1. How does he plan to shoot with sticks? I am used to keeping my hand on the forearm and keeping my hand in the yoke of the sticks. He will have to do the same thing so make sure he is good to go with that.

2. His remington pump with scope is probably 9 pounds; be sure he wants to carry it all day every day

Other than buying premium ammo, using sticks, and carrying the heavy gun - he is good to go if he wants to do it.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
my 7600 with a 2x7 leupold doesn,t weight 9 lbs, but my CZ 550 .375 weights close to 11 lbs scoped.

DSCN1039 (2).JPG

Reactions: WAB

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I'm in agreement with most that just because it's a pump it should not be disqualified from going to Africa. The cartridge is just about perfect although I have a feeling he is going to want to bring his 180gr corelocts. Don't do that imo

A couple things to consider

1. How does he plan to shoot with sticks? I am used to keeping my hand on the forearm and keeping my hand in the yoke of the sticks. He will have to do the same thing so make sure he is good to go with that.

BINGO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldoBor

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J