Prostitutes 'legally' hunts Rhinos????

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
Well, well, well.
If one illegal Thai businessman can have 26 rhinos legally shot, and then claim that some other illegal prostitutes -who acknowledge that they cannot shoot- are the hunters, then this rhino hunting problem is bigger than the rhino poaching problem!
For 26 legal rhino hunts, a lot of legal people,organizations and paperwork will have to be involved [eg. Cov officials, PH, land owners, dep of conservation, outfitters etc. etc.] And NOBODY smelled a rat when prostitutes stood over the dead animals posing with a rifle, claiming to be the hunter on the official documentation? At least the PH or outfitter on the spot could detect something is not as it should be? [It happened with 26 permits of this one syndicate!]
This cast a dark shadow over some roll player down the chain of the hunting industry as well as some procedures in obtaining a legal rhino hunting license. We have enough challenges with the poachers, that we do not need this type of thing putting the majority of the good, honest and trustworthy officials, PH etc. under suspicion.
Whistle blowing in the hunting industry are becoming a MUST to keep it ethical and sustainable for all concerned- [hunters and animals!]

Thai Man Behind Bars over Rhino Poaching by using prostitutes!
A court has for the first time heard about the alleged inner workings of a syndicate, suspected of using prostitutes to pose as trophy hunters when Thai national Chumlong Lemtongthai was denied bail by the Kempton Park Magistrate's Court last week.

The court found he had no links to South Africa and was a flight risk.

He is suspected of being the syndicate's kingpin, who organised deals worth millions of rands.

In opposing bail the state called a Sars official, Lindsay Moodley, who testified the 26 transactions listed in the charge sheet are worth more than R8 million.

He said he interviewed a Thai woman who was paid by the syndicate to make the trade in rhino horn look like a legal hunt.

"She confirmed she was paid on both occasions R5 000 for a passport to be used to obtain a permit," he said.

He added that the woman is a potential witness.

"She also indicated that she cannot shoot. She further confirmed that she was called to the dead rhino, was given a rifle and was asked to pose next to it."

Lemtongthai maintains he is innocent.

Earlier the magistrate ruled in favour of the defence team. The court placed the onus on prosecutor Allen Simpson to prove that Lemtongthai should remain behind bars.

Veteran investigator PW van Heerden was then called to oppose bail. He argued that the accused is in South Africa illegally and will likely commit more crimes.

But the defence team argued that the state's case is weak and offered R100,000 as surety that Lemtongthai will stand trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Observe

This is quite the sad story!

It kind of makes you wonder how deep the Rhino Horn wormhole actually goes, there will always be the bad apples but this trade is more than that. The sad thing is that all of the people who are involved in this are extremely aware of they are doing!:mad:

Personally I think that Rhino breeding in South Africa is a massive success story and it has been for years but now all the great work is coming undone, due to certain people who have seen an opportunity and they are taking it no matter what the consequences.

With the world economy being in the state it is, we will see more and more of the same thing some of the bad apples will get exposed but the question is to what expense?

1 Game farmers are becoming more and more hesitant to buy in Rhino for breeding purposes due to the fear of poaching and then losing a substantial investment not to mention the costs involved in anti poaching.

2 Because of these bad apples the legal hunting of Rhino might quite possibly close this will further damage the motivation of keeping rhino on your farm.

3 The game farmers that do have Rhino, are actually seeing their investment shrink, they have to employ people to patrol the borders of their properties and in most cases they have to get a chopper in and dart every rhino on their ranch to saw off this prized horn to prevent poaching, the sad thing is after all of this is that some poachers decide to kill the rhino just out of spite!

4 All of this contributes to the demotion of breeding rhino amongst game farm owners so it is just one negative cycle. This will mean we will rely heavily on our National Parks for the future conservation of rhino however if you take out the private sector it may take decades for the numbers to get back up to where they were.

Just a sad story as I said and it will take decades for Rhino populations to get back to were they were!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

I have an example to illustrate what Louis just said.

A friend of mine who is an outfitter and farm owner in the Limpopo province, was breeding rhinos. Last time we talked he told me he had sold them, as he was fearing to lose them to the poachers.

To have white rhinos on your property make you a target.

If you continue to have white rhinos you will need an armed guard 24X7 to protect them.

sad state of affairs.

I hope the magistrate sees through this scam all the way to the end.

Thanks to the prostitute for being a witness!!!!!!!!!!

24/7 guards and interfarm cooperation if you keep these great beasts is a must.

Every plane, chopper or stranger is watched like a hawk and phone calls and radios, etc.

I would see Game Rangers in the bush occasionally while hunting a Leeukop.

Sadly, all required just so the beautiful beasts can roam free.

This whole thing is a bit gray to me...

If I play devil's advocate here.....what is illegal? There seems to be permits issued (26 of them!) and the animal was harvested pursuant to those permits with eye candy prostitutes to pose in the pictures. Immoral...yes. Unethical...yes. But I don't see how a licensed activity like this rises the level of being illegal.

I think the problem is that the government or government officials allowed this to continue to go on. ONE permit or two, fine. But after issuing 26 permits...c'mon!

The only area I can see that is truly illegal would be the fraud in using someones passport to apply for the permits. Other than that, I would assume a person could literally and figuratively go out and get 26 permits and shoot 26 rhino under the current laws....that is the problem.

Tom

The prostitutes did not shoot the white rhino(from her own statement)...now if the license is in the prostitutes name and another person shoot the animal. The one shooting the animals with out a proper license is a poacher.

Now i can see where this individual would be guilty of 25 counts if one of the license is in his name if not then the 26 counts should be a given.

This whole thing is a bit gray to me...

If I play devil's advocate here.....what is illegal? There seems to be permits issued (26 of them!) and the animal was harvested pursuant to those permits with eye candy prostitutes to pose in the pictures. Immoral...yes. Unethical...yes. But I don't see how a licensed activity like this rises the level of being illegal.

I think the problem is that the government or government officials allowed this to continue to go on. ONE permit or two, fine. But after issuing 26 permits...c'mon!

The only area I can see that is truly illegal would be the fraud in using someones passport to apply for the permits. Other than that, I would assume a person could literally and figuratively go out and get 26 permits and shoot 26 rhino under the current laws....that is the problem.

Tom, to help clarify this for you. (Not RSA law)

Fraud

380. (1) Every one who, by deceit, falsehood or other fraudulent means, whether or not it is a false pretence within the meaning of this Act, defrauds the public or any person, whether ascertained or not, of any property, money or valuable security or any service,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years, where the subject-matter of the offence is a testamentary instrument or the value of the subject-matter of the offence exceeds five thousand dollars;

Participation in activities of criminal organization

467.11 (1) Every person who, for the purpose of enhancing the ability of a criminal organization to facilitate or commit an indictable offence under this or any other Act of Parliament, knowingly, by act or omission, participates in or contributes to any activity of the criminal organization is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Prosecution

(2) In a prosecution for an offence under subsection (1), it is not necessary for the prosecutor to prove that

(a) the criminal organization actually facilitated or committed an indictable offence;

(b) the participation or contribution of the accused actually enhanced the ability of the criminal organization to facilitate or commit an indictable offence;

(c) the accused knew the specific nature of any indictable offence that may have been facilitated or committed by the criminal organization; or

(d) the accused knew the identity of any of the persons who constitute the criminal organization.

Factors

(3) In determining whether an accused participates in or contributes to any activity of a criminal organization, the Court may consider, among other factors, whether the accused

(a) uses a name, word, symbol or other representation that identifies, or is associated with, the criminal organization;

(b) frequently associates with any of the persons who constitute the criminal organization;

(c) receives any benefit from the criminal organization; or

(d) repeatedly engages in activities at the instruction of any of the persons who constitute the criminal organization.

Sorry gang...still not seeing it. And I am a prosecutor and defense attorney. The law cited above just says you can't perpetrate fraud or participate in organized criminal undertakings.

I still think applying for the permits in a name other than the hunter is fraud. And I agree that shooting the animals by someone other than the license holder is illegal. BUT it seems to me that the majority of the posters and the news article are upset that 26 rhinos were killed/poached....they really weren't. They were shot on government approved licenses. Am I still missing something? Believe me, I think it's horrible and I hope the offenders get locked up...but I just can't find the violation of law besides the fraud of getting the license and shooting under some other persons name.

Nothing illegal about shooting 26 rhino apparently in RSA apparently.

Tom,

For me, within the story it is assumed that it is illegal to purchase or sell or trade Rhino Horn(s) in SA. Which it is.

We agree, and for me, the fraud shows up at this point:
One person, person A, gets another to acquire a license (under false pretences; as person B has no interest in hunting the animal) to hunt an animal.
[That it is a Rhino is just detail, although it holds a great part of the motivation for monetary purposes for a conspiracy.]

The conspiracy:
One individual acquiring a large number of animals, in this instance valuable Rhino horns, is where the criminal enterprise enters the picture and also the aggravated injury to the public interest.

So, person A has gone about creating a criminal enterprise to acquire property in the wildlife illegally. None of the (persons B) prostitutes can legally sell, trade the Rhino horn to the ring leader but he acquired them (alledgedly).

How many hunters have more than twenty Rhino's? (Ok, sane hunters)

[no need to pull out the bar card :)]

It is easy only a person who's name is on the hunting permit is allowed to hunt or for that matter shoot the rhino, not even me as the guide are allowed to take the first shot, i can only do so after the client took a shot. But two me the biggest problem lays in the fact that nature conservation must attend the hunt to make sure that it goes by the rules. Did somebody turn his head and looked the other way for a few bucks i am sure this we will find out in the full report. I think it is not just the
"client" that now is behind bars fault but everybody that was part of this hunt or hunts. I am sorry to say but we do have more than one culprit in this deal.

I guess I only get pissed off when some poaches a animal and doesn't pay for the animal....that means the animal died with little value given to it's place on Earth.

It's a total different story if someone pays for the animal and has a hunting license. Frankly a lot of eyes must have been turned on this hunt and will be turned more when the rhinos are imported out of Africa.

I guess the point is at least the rhinos had a value in this incident. When someone shoots a rhino or darts a rhino and chainsaws the horn off and runs or flys away with the horn...then the rhino did for no purpose and the owner of the rhino is left shaking his or her head in sadness and anger.

The illegal part comes after the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross