Project 2022

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40394

So I purchased a new to me home in 2021. Remodeled and such and finally finished with it. Now on to the shop. I might add I don’t have a whole lot of building experience.
My plan is to get someone to look at the shop to see if it’s worth fixing up and what will be required. My goal is to make it into a fully insulated trophy room 30x30.
Issues:
1. Some concrete erosion in back that should easily be fixed by poly leveling
2. Lots of insect debris in the walls at face of building
3. Water pools a little at front of door and around the door is damp on inside of building after heavy rains. (I plan to replace the whole face wall of the building)

worth mentioning:
I want to fully insulate
Add ductless split system
Rerun electrical
Man cave trophy room is the goal
I plan to have one large door only on the front
Plan to have plywood behind drywall for walls

what I don’t know:
Best easiest way to insulate
Do I leave the trusses open or add a ceiling.
How would you guys go about fixing this building up?

55197C5C-7CD2-434A-8C76-8C479F873A54.jpeg
0B69B847-621E-4DEE-BD7C-669B8CD890C3.jpeg
94B5033E-B2E6-41DB-A122-32AF6CF93640.jpeg
E10DDFF3-09F7-461A-A7D5-9439B87D6934.jpeg
70A73767-88A6-4E08-A60E-1281EAEA2B72.jpeg
CA6670C9-16A0-411C-9AD7-A979495920BA.jpeg
9A05AB04-A4E6-4053-BBAF-C884B5808F4B.jpeg
FFD55869-CB4D-4ED3-ABE0-B4938ADAD626.jpeg
4A18D1D1-B306-4676-B4CF-F10E9EB7F276.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Focus on the drainage issues first. No sense remodeling or fixing anything until you fix that. I also don't see any gutters. Add big ones and get as much water as possible away from the foundation.

Easist way to insulate is fiberglass and I would expect most would leave the ceiling open in a "man cave" type deal. May help with antler/horn placement later on.

Good luck.

I plan to get a slab foundation guy out soon. It’s just one little spot and may need to pour additional cement to fix it. Yes I will add gutters. Will be a work in progress as not sure what my budget will be on it. I do know a new building and slab would cost me about $35-50 k finished and that’s with me doing some of the work.
if I go the new building route then I would just build on my hunting property out in the country. I would wait on that though since prices are up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CJW
Do you plan to strip interior walls back to 2x4? If, so maybe combination of spray foam and batt insulation. Also you could insulate outside of walls. Look at insulated ZIP system. I was going to build but could not find builder for custom home. I have lots of information in my insulation file I would be glad to share. In boiling Springs SC
don

Do you plan to strip interior walls back to 2x4? If, so maybe combination of spray foam and batt insulation. Also you could insulate outside of walls. Look at insulated ZIP system. I was going to build but could not find builder for custom home. I have lots of information in my insulation file I would be glad to share. In boiling Springs SC
don
Yes. I will probably strip it all. If the plywood and vinyl is good then I may just insulate the conventional way.
I am in Lancaster SC.

Justin
DM me your email and I will forward to you what I have on insulation
Don

The one major drawback I see is the lack of height inside the proposed mancave. Eight or nine foot walls limit what you can hang. I realize doing something major in order to get 12 or 14 ft walls might be cost prohibitive.

I would also double check if the original shop was built on a true foundation with footings or was it built on a simple slab. From appearance (same elevation as the driveway), I would same the latter.

The one major drawback I see is the lack of height inside the proposed mancave. Eight or nine foot walls limit what you can hang. I realize doing something major in order to get 12 or 14 ft walls might be cost prohibitive.

I would also double check if the original shop was built on a true foundation with footings or was it built on a simple slab. From appearance (same elevation as the driveway), I would same the latter.
Appears to be simple slab.
too bad a large water oak doesn’t appear from nowhere and drop down on the building. Then I would be cooking with gas. Lol.

I am no builder or expert. I just added a 30x28 room on my house all done properly, and cost was $65K Cnd. I see the reno/wreck shows on TV and think, OMG the US has cheap building materials.

My recommendation would be to have a pro come out and provide a quote for all the things you state need repair. Even if all issues are fixed under budget you may still end up with a building and 8 ft walls that do not really work for a mancave/memory room. That oak tree would work best as long as no insurance issues. :LOL:

With pro quotes and options you can decide on route/plan to take. For years I had my mounts on 8 ft walls and it frustrated me, to have it right is much better. Just my 2c.

MB

I see several problems. First is the foundation, not sure how much weight of the superstructure it will support. Next I see siding all the way to ground level, thats going to be a drainage issue. After those are solved, if they can be. I would take it down to the studs and add fiberglass insulation to the walls and plywood and drywall. Personally, I would remove the roof and replace it with timber frame trusses to give the room height and openness which would allow for trophy’s to be wall mounted and not limited with the ceiling restriction.

I would not use a mini split, but a small heat pump and run metal vents down the open trusses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross