Professional Hunters - What rifle do you carry?

You guys accept guide / outfitters rifles from non-African dangerous game? I outfit for coastal grizzly / brown bear as the day job, carry a Merkel 140AE .375 H&H, custom titanium M98 .375 2 1/4" soon just in completion. Also have used Mossberg 590A1 14" 12 gauges for camp guns, for reasons hopefully obvious below.

View attachment 171405 View attachment 171401 View attachment 171403 View attachment 171404 View attachment 171402
View attachment 171406
Ardent,
What gun oil and wood protection do you use on that merkel? It looks good and has water beading up. Just asking because all my hunting rifles are wood and steel. Always looking for good products.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Abeln I've used lots of different things, I'm on salt water and we run 4hrs in and out with generally the gun uncovered. Eezox is the best "oil" I've found but shockingly WD40 is 90% as good and much cheaper to apply twice a day. The stock is just maintained coats of tung oil. You can tung oil metal too but the durability is low, will get you through a trip.

If I had to recommend one thing above all else would be Eezox. If you want to keep it simple WD40 is 90% as good, but needs much more frequent applications. The popular thing to do in the gun world is to rag on WD40 as an oil people use when not in the know, but the reality is even in testing it's one of the best rust preventative sprays out there and outperforms literally all the purpose made gun sprays; even G96 etc in rust prevention.

Can't find the original Brownells article / test, but WD40 came out #1,

http://toolmonger.com/2009/03/31/hot-or-not-wd-40-for-rust-prevention/

Does this count???

Thanks for the tip. I'd say WD-40 must work just fine to keep your rifle looking that good in one of the harshest hunting environments on earth.

In my limited experience the Gun a PH carries may not be what they want but what they can get. I am told that Zim can be very difficult bringing in weapons from the outside with some waiting periods up to 6 months sitting in some office.
Once read a quote saying that a PH starts his career with a new gun and a new truck and finishs his career with an old gun and a old truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!