Professional Hunters Double Rifles

Why don't some of y'all post some of these $4-6K doubles you claim are for sale. I'm suspicious.
Philip

Philip, here in Scandinavia double rifles are pretty cheap to buy on the used market...as are large caliber bolt rifles..

Why..? Well, we had the big-bore craze here from the mid nineties and on....

Today these rifles only apply to the (very few) that hunt Africa....and among those even fewer consider doubles....the double rifle is after all a weapon for the specially interested..and/or the professional..

K-guns and Merkels in .470 - .500 sell for $5000 - 6000 easily here....most are as new..

3 years ago I picked up a vintage british double rifle in. 475NE, action fully scroll engraved (like Cal s .500 Watson..) and with an extra original barrel in a lesser calibre for $3000,...with dies and all..

The bargains are still out there...

Agree with Philip, have your friends post them here when ownership becomes a burden.

Here in Scandinavia/Norway pricing is nice. I picked up a 2nd hand Merkel 470 double for just 3500 USD. New ones are around 10 grand...

Philip, here in Scandinavia double rifles are pretty cheap to buy on the used market...as are large caliber bolt rifles..

Why..? Well, we had the big-bore craze here from the mid nineties and on....

Today these rifles only apply to the (very few) that hunt Africa....and among those even fewer consider doubles....the double rifle is after all a weapon for the specially interested..and/or the professional..

K-guns and Merkels in .470 - .500 sell for $5000 - 6000 easily here....most are as new..

3 years ago I picked up a vintage british double rifle in. 475NE, action fully scroll engraved (like Cal s .500 Watson..) and with an extra original barrel in a lesser calibre for $3000,...with dies and all..

The bargains are still out there...
I'll take a Kreighoff .500 NE for $5000. Please let me know where to get one. There is just too much price discrepancy so why don't they send them to the US or elsewhere? Seriously take 10 of these guns at the prices you mention, get them to the US, and you'll have $50,000+ profit!
Regards,
Philip

I use a 458 Lott (23'' barrel, 480 woodleigh bullet soft and solid) for 15 years and I had to back up, elephants, hippos, buffaloes (from Benin, CAR and Tanzania), lions and other game and I never been disappointed in the field. Excellent caliber for hunters and PH. Just my experience.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Ernest Hemingway's .577 Nitro Express Double Rifle by Westley Richards

Even for the larger-than-life Ernest Hemingway, his double-barreled .577-caliber Nitro Express was one big gun. Manufactured by the Westley Richards firm in England in 1913 and weighing in at nearly sixteen pounds, the rifle was meant to stop the biggest beasts in Africa. It accompanied Hemingway on safari in 1953, as recounted in the book Hemingway's Guns, which devotes an entire chapter to the famed .577. It's an absolute masterpiece, says Silvio Calabi, one of the book's authors. The thing you really come away with after looking at it is, man, they really knew how to build these things back then.

watermark.php

Photo by James D. Julia Auctioneers www.jamesdjulia.com

The guns colorful history goes even beyond Hemingway's African adventures. It was also employed by Papa for a wholly different type of big game. During World War II, Hemingway outfitted his fishing boat, Pilar, to hunt German U-boats, which often infiltrated the waters off Cuba. And, yes, the .577 was aboard. Hemingway apparently figured if it was good enough to take down elephants and rhinos, it could likely punch a pretty good hole in the hull of a submarine, though he never actually got to test the theory. On display at the Curry Mansion Inn in Key West, the gun led a quieter life since Hemingway's heyday.

The much touted Westley Richards, .577NE which had belonged to renowned author Ernest Hemingway went up for auction in early 2011 by the James D. Julia auction house of Fairfield, ME. The gun was auctioned off on March 14th, and was expected to fetch between $150,000 and $200,000 and went out at just about $340,000.

Well Philip Glass, why would you be suspicious? Why use a word like that?

I see, Philip Glass, you are looking to buy a double - apparently. So, as I said in another post, please private message me and I'll put you in touch with the chap with the .470. The you can put your money where your mouth is.
You will be in contact with him by today or tomorrow.

Well Philip Glass, why would you be suspicious? Why use a word like that?
Just simply don't believe one could be had for that price.

Spike, its not all that uncommon in auction sales in GB. As I say, I know a chap who put his 470 in last year and it didn't make his - pretty low -reserve and it went home with him. I am confident he will still have it if you want to message me.

@paladin100 I'm interested. However- what is the process for importing from UK to the USA?

So I just googled this regarding importation-
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-importing-new-or-antique-firearms/ammunition

It sounds like something that my local gunshop can handle? Also, seems like there is a slightly different process for active duty military (I fall into this category).

Anyone with experience importing from Europe, I'd love to hear about the process- seems like there might be great savings if you can be patient for a few weeks for ATF to do the paperwork. (I've waited 6 months for a suppressor, so patience is not an issue if I can get a great deal on a double)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/210/~/requirements-for-importing-new-or-antique-firearms/ammunition

It sounds like something that my local gunshop can handle? Also, seems like there is a slightly different process for active duty military (I fall into this category).

Anyone with experience importing from Europe, I'd love to hear about the process- seems like there might be great savings if you can be patient for a few weeks for ATF to do the paperwork. (I've waited 6 months for a suppressor, so patience is not an issue if I can get a great deal on a double)

Rinehart, don't know about the military requirement part. Your local gun shop can import a gun for you "if they choose to" They must complete an ATF form 6, send it to ATF for approval or not. If they approve it in 6-8 weeks, then you and the shop must make arrangements with a customs broker to actually bring it into the country. I don't know the cost at this time. The big unknown is what are the requirements in the country of export, the current owner has to deal with this. All of the info your shop places on the form 6 has to be obtained from the current owner, so you and the shop have to set up an email conversation (or phone) back and forth to make this happen. I am in the process of importing a rifle from South Africa. At this time, waiting on ATF form 6 approval. Very good to have patience!!!

Rinehart, don't know about the military requirement part. Your local gun shop can import a gun for you "if they choose to" They must complete an ATF form 6, send it to ATF for approval or not. If they approve it in 6-8 weeks, then you and the shop must make arrangements with a customs broker to actually bring it into the country. I don't know the cost at this time. The big unknown is what are the requirements in the country of export, the current owner has to deal with this. All of the info your shop places on the form 6 has to be obtained from the current owner, so you and the shop have to set up an email conversation (or phone) back and forth to make this happen. I am in the process of importing a rifle from South Africa. At this time, waiting on ATF form 6 approval. Very good to have patience!!!

Thanks for the info sierraone. I wonder if SSI have handled firearm imports...

I don't know, but you can call Robert and ask him. For someone to import firearms on a regular basis, they must have an ATF license specifically for that purpose, but any FFL holder can import on occasion, but that can not be primary in their main business. I don't what the number is when you have to obtain a specific license.

No I'm sorry we don't....... we do not have insurance for it.

Spike, its not all that uncommon in auction sales in GB. As I say, I know a chap who put his 470 in last year and it didn't make his - pretty low -reserve and it went home with him. I am confident he will still have it if you want to message me.

thanks but i have one. i just have never seen any at those prices on the auction sites i have looked at. ones i liked anyway....:D

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/210/~/requirements-for-importing-new-or-antique-firearms/ammunition

try getting hold of PDQ freight ltd in uk they organize export of firearms so they should be able to tell you whats needed
http://www.pdq.uk.com/services/4549523535

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg