Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I saw the prior post regarding "the exam" but it was more about rifles used by the participants. What I am wondering is what does the exam consist of- I see the Zimbabwe is discussed. Are there similar exams in the other countries. What skills are tested and what is the level of skill needed to pass?

Ray- I've had the exam explained to me by PH's that have taken, and passed it. I'm certain I can't do it justice when describing it as someone that has taken it so I look forward to hearing from them as well.

From my understanding, competency with your rifle is just one, albeit important, part of the exam. You are also graded on tracking, guiding, field dressing, cooking, knowing the laws, etc. Basically, having the ability to host and guide your clients in a safe and legal manner.

The great PH's inspire confidence that we, as clients, will have a fantastic, overall experience and taking the shot is just one small part of it.

Again, I'm not the expert so I'm very willing to learn if I have it wrong.

Would be good if some of our resident PH members could explain some of this. @BRICKBURN I think has been to PH school but not sure if he took the exam.

I saw the prior post regarding "the exam" but it was more about rifles used by the participants. What I am wondering is what does the exam consist of- I see the Zimbabwe is discussed. Are there similar exams in the other countries. What skills are tested and what is the level of skill needed to pass?

Each country has it's own requirements.

General knowledge:
Habits and Habitats
Ballistics and firearms
Legislation
First aid
Basic mechanics
Photography

Trophies:
Identification
Measurement

Shooting:
Jungle lane
Target shooting – still
Target shooting - moving
Safety precautions
Marksmanship principles
accuracy and speed.

Camping:
Camp setting
Camp hygiene and control of fires
Catering
Entertainment
Standards of dress

Guiding, hunting, bush craft & game products:
Hunting;
Tracking ability
Spoor and sign id
Attention to wind
Stalking ability
Trophy selection
Safety of clients
Self defence
Weapon handling
Shooting of animal

Baiting of cats;
Choice of site
Placement of blind
Placement and positioning of baits

Guiding;
Identification of animals
Identification of plants
Knowledge of animal and plant habitats
Knowledge of cultural resources in the area
Knowledge of rocks and soils
Spoor and signs identification
Safety of clients
Self defence
Weapon handling
Shooting of animals

Bushcraft :
Knowledge of the area
Observance
Endurance
Survival skills

Game products:
Knowledge of skinning and caping
Preservation of trophies and meat
Recovery of ivory
Safekeeping of products
Butchery hygiene
Dispatching products

A few other things for Zim:
Residence permit
Receipt of payment for the practical
Current ADVANCED first aid certificate ( 5 day course )from one of the following:
Redcross
Pacmed
Mars
Emras
St Johns
Letter from your tutor stating that he feels you are ready for the practical.
Log book complete with photographs.
Completed and passed the mandatory shooting test ( held twice/ year )
Minimum 2 years in Zimbabwe with an LPH
Minimum 2 year apprenticeship in Zimbabwe under a fully licensed professional hunter.
Hunters, 5 dangerous game animals shot in Zimbabwe yourself after obtaining your LPH
Guides, minimum 4 dangerous game animals shot in Zimbabwe yourself after obtaining your LPH/G

Once you have the above , you attend the interview and hopefully you will be invited to attend the 7 day practical which is held once / year.

PERSPECTIVES1.jpg

PERSPECTIVES2.jpg

PERSPECTIVES3.jpg

PERSPECTIVES4.jpg

D1bianchitarget.gif

I am without words to respond, I am so impressed. thank you for the responses and thank you for the commitment by those that operate and those that graduate from such a comprehensive course.

You're welcome.

All very impressive. Quite the achievement. Definitely something you can be proud of.

Sounds easy! LOL ;)

Seriously, ask I can say is WOW! Truly an accomplishment to be proud of.

The Zim qualification process is certainly something.
paper test to be a Learner Hunter
2 years as an Appi
Then the qualification tests to become a PH.

The Zim qualification process is certainly something.
paper test to be a Learner Hunter
2 years as an Appi
Then the qualification tests to become a PH.

That's the big difference between Zim and every (I believe) other country in Africa. The two year apprenticeship is, I believe, unique to Zimbabwe.

If you ask a Zim PH, they will spend that time - or longer - doing just about every job, grunt and otherwise, there is to do in a hunting camp, and doing it multiple times. Even once they get their PH license, the licenses are restricted to plains game until they have been on a certain number of dangerous game hunts. I had a PH I wanted to hunt with in Zim, but he couldn't hunt elephant - had not bothered to get that 'stamp' even though he'd been hunting for a decade. So we got another PH to do the hunt, and it resulted in my original PH becoming eligible for his elephant stamp. Same for all DG.

The result is that while there are great PHs in every country, you can generally rely on the skills and ability of your Zim PH. Personality, well, that's a bit tougher to train for!

Personality, well, that's a bit tougher to train for!

In the end, this really does create the individuals success. If they can manage people they will be a lot more likely to succeed.

Initially it seemed the place to have a safari was the area around Lake Victoria; but the more I learn, Zimbabwe is looking to be the best.

I am at a loss in trying to comprehend how you could decide on a location to hunt based on the answers provided to a question relating to the different qualifications required per hunting countries.

I urge you to continue reading hunting reports from different people taken in different countries.
From one of your other threads you seem to have some pre-conceived ideas about what hunting in Africa involves and that may taint your decision making process.

There are a lot of helpful people on this forum including numerous experienced, knowledgeable and legitimate Professional hunters from various countries that can provide detailed responses to your concerns BEFORE you book a hunt ANYWHERE.

I urge you to continue reading hunting reports from different people taken in different countries
....BEFORE you book a hunt ANYWHERE.
+2

That's the big difference between Zim and every (I believe) other country in Africa. The two year apprenticeship is, I believe, unique to Zimbabwe.

If you ask a Zim PH, they will spend that time - or longer - doing just about every job, grunt and otherwise, there is to do in a hunting camp, and doing it multiple times. Even once they get their PH license, the licenses are restricted to plains game until they have been on a certain number of dangerous game hunts. I had a PH I wanted to hunt with in Zim, but he couldn't hunt elephant - had not bothered to get that 'stamp' even though he'd been hunting for a decade. So we got another PH to do the hunt, and it resulted in my original PH becoming eligible for his elephant stamp. Same for all DG.

The result is that while there are great PHs in every country, you can generally rely on the skills and ability of your Zim PH. Personality, well, that's a bit tougher to train for!

I would just like to respectfully correct you. In Zimbabwe, during the Hunter proficiency test, the examiners may apply a restriction on certain dangerous game. This could be because the hunter has not had sufficient experience during apprenticeship ie has not personally shot enough elephant or buffalo or because the examiner does not think they are confident enough during the proficiency. Normally with inexperience,the examiners will purposefully put the hunter into a situation where they can test this during the proficiency,like if they suspect the hunter is wary or inexperienced with elephant,they would get them to do approaches on elephant and may require them to shoot an elephant on proficiency. That particular hunter may be excellent with buffalo but wary of elephant. So the examiner restricts their licence for elephant until they have shot a specific number on problem animal control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg