Professional Hunter Ian Lennox from Zimbabwe

FlorianS

Reaction score
In 1999 I was guided in Tansania from a Professional Hunter named Ian Lennox from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.

And since then, I never heard anything about him. He´s the Gentlemen in the video, talking about elefant-hunt and lions etc in Botswana.

Does anybody also hunted with him an has more informations about him and how he is. I would be very happy to hear about Ian Lennox; The time, i spent with him was very impressive for me.

Florian

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the second part of the video…

Florian
In 2004 i hunted with Calitz Safaris in Ng 32 and hunted a few more times there after that.
I think i am not wrong , i met his wife that was Camp manager in Goroqwe ( bad spelling sure ! ) by that time and i believe your friend died in that year or late in 2003.
I believe it was from a heart attack but i might be wrong.
Sorry for the bad news.

hi florian ,welcome to AH. unfortunately as indi said Ian passed away . i cant remember exactly how long ago but i think it wasnt long after he got home from sci one year, and quite a few years ago. he was a character of note, def larger than life.he was also a selous scout during the war.

Hallo Florian,

Willkommen.

Du siehst,hier wird Dir gleich geholfen (y)
Gruß
Foxi
alias KF

thanks to indi and spike.t. for the informations.

these are sad news and as spike.t wrote, he was a charecter of note.

With Ian, I shot my first african game. And we still laugh about episodes which we had with him....;)

Florian

Florian, I too shot my first African game with Ian back in 1983 in Zimbabwe. He was one hell of fun guy to be around and I learned a lot from him.

How sad it is when the old guard passes on. But I have some good news for you, speaking from the Zim experience anyway - there is huge interest by a new batch of youngsters to take up the reins. You may know that Cambridge A level now offers hunting and guiding as a subject, and an enthusiastic bunch of boys and girls are doing this. We have taken one of these young fellows out on two of our trips so far, he is good, knows his trees and birds already, 18 years old, keen shot too. Please guys, if you are looking for somewhere to sink your committment insist that your outfitter employs these youngsters, with a reasonable salary.

In 1999 I was guided in Tansania from a Professional Hunter named Ian Lennox from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.

And since then, I never heard anything about him. He´s the Gentlemen in the video, talking about elefant-hunt and lions etc in Botswana.

Does anybody also hunted with him an has more informations about him and how he is. I would be very happy to hear about Ian Lennox; The time, i spent with him was very impressive for me.

Florian
As you have learned, Ian did pass away some years back. I met him when I was hunting with his brother, Clive, in 1983. He seemed like a good guy. I know it's sad to find that someone that you have hunted and shared memories with has passed on.
Clive is still hunting though, and I'm going out on safari with him again next year.

How sad it is when the old guard passes on. But I have some good news for you, speaking from the Zim experience anyway - there is huge interest by a new batch of youngsters to take up the reins. You may know that Cambridge A level now offers hunting and guiding as a subject, and an enthusiastic bunch of boys and girls are doing this. We have taken one of these young fellows out on two of our trips so far, he is good, knows his trees and birds already, 18 years old, keen shot too. Please guys, if you are looking for somewhere to sink your committment insist that your outfitter employs these youngsters, with a reasonable salary.
That's good to know Cambridge is teaching that!! People should definitely consider hiring the younger folks as they are the future.

I once was on a trip with both Ian Lennox and Rolf Trappe. Both exceptional hunters. Learned much from each. I feel grateful for the experience.

Might sound strange but, I have to watch this video ever now then, to just hear Ian's voice. He was my first PH in Africa when I was only 9 and taught me a lot. We became friends, my father and I hunted with him several more times thru the 1980's and he came to stay with us in Texas numerous times.

Might sound strange but, I have to watch this video ever now then, to just hear Ian's voice. He was my first PH in Africa when I was only 9 and taught me a lot. We became friends, my father and I hunted with him several more times thru the 1980's and he came to stay with us in Texas numerous times.
Yes, his voice and accent were quintessential. He definitely passed too young. Sorry for your loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!