Problems sighting in a scope

Great advice from greyfox . Clerks have been known to switch the front and rear bases. This can cause the troubles your having. You may need to take it to a qualified gunsmith to get it figured out. Bruce

I don't know what rings are on the rifle as they came with it but I believe they are weatherby also the scope is a trijicon accupoint 3x9 I will put pics on later today.

For right now I would take it back to the store where you purchased it from and have them re-bore sight it for you and make sure that everything is tight. Then take it to the range and shoot at a large target at 25 yards and see if you can get it zeroed at that range before anything else.

You can also just do the bore sighting yourself as was mentioned by removing the bolt and looking down the barrel at the target at 25 yards and then shooting it.

STOP, Before you shim or reverse ring, First take it off, completely, What rings? If Leupold: using a wooden dowel 1 inch (1 Inch scope??) turn the front ring to aline the dowel with the bore,' (Assuming you don't have a leupold ring wrench??) Now set the rear ring loosely in the rear base. (If using weaver style, set both finger tight only) Lay the dowel in the ring bottoms (top removed) and spin if, does it spin freely and cleanly? now set the scope in and tighten (do not "monkey torque" the scope ring bolts)
now remove the bolt and look down the bore at a SPOT on the wall, or a paper target 25 yds away (or across the room) start tightening the bases alternately until they stop, checking the alingment of the bases. Aline the cross hairs with the top of the bullseye or mark on the wall (Electrical tape works great !!) At 25 yds (+/-) the cross hairs should be about 1 inch high. Using a laser boresighter, the "spot" should be about 1" low. Check the torque, Here, I suggest loctite on bases only not on ring screws,
For shiming, take it to a gun smith with the proper shims, or make sure you have the correct bases.
It's been a while but I saw a similiar problem, I believe, If I recall correctly, the Remington 700 bases has the same hole spacing but the rear is thinner or not as tall as the Weatherby.

Rear windage adjustment would certainly be the right answer for left-right issues with bases that have it. Elevation issues or fixed front and rear bases still requires shims.

I don't know what rings are on the rifle as they came with it but I believe they are weatherby also the scope is a trijicon accupoint 3x9 I will put pics on later today.

To the best of my knowledge, Weatherby has never made a scope base or ring???

Rear windage - agree BUT if the rear ring is not set on the base, it's essentially acting like a shim,

Stupid Question Sense this is your first scope is it mounted the right way the elevation knob on the top and the windage knob on the right hand side.

To the best of my knowledge, Weatherby has never made a scope base or ring???

At one point years ago Weatherby had an affiliation with Talley (maybe they still do, I don't know). Anyway, during that known period there were Tally rings supplied with some Mark V's and there were rings that had the Weatherby trademark 'W' engraved on them.

In my above post when I said Talley supplied rings for Weatherby I meant to say 'rings and mounts' (hopefully most understood).

I also remember a time before the affiliation with Talley when some Weatherby's came with Beuhler rings and mounts. However, I don't remember seeing any of the Beuhler rings engraved with the Weatherby logo like the Talley's were.

Thank you all for all the help I finally got it sighted in it turned out that my front scope ring was not tightened all the way down but enough that I didnt notice it untill I really started looking at it

Hey, that's great you found the problem and it was such an easy fix.

Good hunting to you!

It's the mounts. Simple as that. You probably have long range mounts.

It's the mounts. Simple as that. You probably have long range mounts.

'Amon458' ultimately determined the problem to be a front ring that had not been tightened properly. However, I'm curious about something with regard to the quoted post.

I've always used quality hardware and mounted a scope as low as practical to the bore. I'm admittedly a low-tech kind of guy, but in my 55 or so years of shooting and hunting experience I've never heard the term "long range mounts". . . . call me antiquated, but please enlighten me.

Last edited:
I take it that post was meant to be a joke? . . . you just can't be serious.

'Amon458' ultimately determined the problem to be a front ring that had not been tightened properly. However, I'm curious about something with regard to the quoted post.

I've always used quality hardware and mounted a scope as low as practical to the bore. I'm admittedly a low-tech kind of guy, but in my 55 or so years of shooting and hunting experience I've never heard the term "long range mounts". . . . call me antiquated, but please enlighten me.
Long range mounts are for the "Tactical" people. They have built in 20 or 40 MOA elevation so you can shoot say 1000+ meters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg