Problem with skull mount costs

While it is quite easy, if you want a professional type job done it does get a little bit more complicated.
@JimP

South African prep for dip and pack is this:

PREPARATION: SKULLS/ BONES/ CLAWS
All skulls, bones, claws have been boiled with Sodium Carbonate (Na2C03) for a minimum period of one
hour, cleaned and sun-dried for at least 7 (seven) days. Thereafter the parts are dipped in a 40% Formalin
(CH20) concentration for a minimum period of 24 hours and then soaked in an 85% Hydrogen Peroxide
(H20 2) concentration for 2 hours.

!

I think some of these steps are strictly export regulations as they aren't all necessary for a home brew euro mount. If anyone is really interested search Whitebone Creations on Youtube. That guy has tons of videos on just doing euro mounts with some great advice. He doesn't leave anything out so everything is explained.

I agree that if you are in Africa and want a euro mount done then you are pretty much stuck with the folks over there that are doing it.

Reading this thread it sounds like there was very little communication between everyone as far as what was to be done.

@artschool I totally understand your frustration. I've been there as far as lack of communication. It's almost like it's commonplace in RSA. I guess all I was saying was that if you asked your PH for a euro mount, he and the taxidermist did work together to ensure you got it, and I guess personally I feel you do have somewhat of an obligation. Was the price never discussed at all? And if not, why not? $200 USD is bad enough, but $650?? Ridiculous!! But you said that they said that was a billing error, correct? Did you ask how much it would be?
As far as the taxidermist not contacting you, I have had a hard time getting proper communication with a South African taxidermist doing 10 mounts that were pedestal and shoulder mounts. I could only imagine how it could be with a single Euro mount! I don't really feel that there is any excuse for it, but like I said, it seems common for sure! My honest thoughts are you asked your PH for a Euro mount, and it did get done, and you should take at least some responsibility for not knowing how much the taxidermist charges. I still think his price at $200 is high, and I question how they could "accidently" charge $650 as you say they did originally.
So I guess my advice would be to respectfully let the taxidermist know that you are disappointed in his lack of communication, and outline for him what you would consider to be your ideal experience, but to pay the $200 and get your mount. Who knows? He may agree to let you have it for less.

Who is the outfitter and who is the taxidermist operation?

I only had two shoulder mounts done on my two trips to Africa. The rest were just skulls.
Two from the first trip and three from the second trip.
When they do dip and ship you have a skull that is boiled and there isn’t additional charge for that.
The first shoulder mount was done I SA and I will never have that done again! It was done so badly I swore I would have the next one shipped back to the states.
I did my elk on my gas barbecue.
I made the back for my blue wildebeest to show off the arrows for it and my blesbuck.
I had the warthog skull bronzed by a person from Denver but the skulls were only $45 from the D&S company.

1ED235B3-CD28-4118-86C1-38EAEA3413B6.jpeg
ECAC2AC6-3618-4D5F-9920-69102F395622.jpeg
87A8AC04-B01F-4C31-877E-C3E87600680C.jpeg

Attachments

• 3934F442-60DB-4DCA-812C-4F20AF34B1FC.jpeg
    3934F442-60DB-4DCA-812C-4F20AF34B1FC.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
  • 5D3B3A98-D21F-4AA8-92E6-0BC939B56E65.jpeg
    5D3B3A98-D21F-4AA8-92E6-0BC939B56E65.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 78
  • D59C4A86-2FF2-4043-933A-6F3BC80392BD.jpeg
    D59C4A86-2FF2-4043-933A-6F3BC80392BD.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
Reactions: BWH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross